Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 Times Fuel Consumption - Please Help!!

Vikster

Hi all.

I am a newbie, and was told the experts on here could help.

FORD FOCUS MARK 1 1999 T reg MANUAL - 1.6i Ghia 64,500 miles.

My car had a coil packed failure, and the idle speed went down to 700rpm.

My car is consuming so much fuel. For every £10 I get 45miles before I have to refuel!! Before I would get 120miles per £10

I have changed

1) Coil pack - Misfire sorted

2) Spark plugs have been changed.

3) Leads look new and no air leaks according to mechanic.

4) MAF sensor changed

5) Idle Air control Value is new because old one was black inside. Inside throttle body cleaned with carb cleaner. This stopped the stalling issue.

6) Throttle Position Sensor - has been checked and voltage reads correctly using voltmeter

7) Lambda sensor changed to a new one. Only one sensor Bank 1 sensor 1 [precat]

8) Air filter changed and air box/hose cleaned

9) oil filter changed

10 New battery

11) Unplugged battery for a day

Other info

No exhaust pipe holes or leaks when checked.

No obvious signs of leaks etc

Wiring looks fine

Diagnostics does not show any error codes but I have attached what it shows.

No MIL light or other warning lights

Once in a while I do get a cylinder 1 Misfire. when the code is cleared it does not come back for 3 weeks.

I do not know if I have a MAP sensor on this model or where it is located. People say it has and looks like a T shape device but I have no clue where it could be.

Currently

The car drives like there is loss of power and the idle looks like it is hunting and will not settle to a fixed idle speed when the car is still

Please help me as I am going insane :(

Thanks

post-19415-0-00204700-1294756638_thumb.j

post-19415-0-49892000-1294756650_thumb.j

post-19415-0-79391300-1294756656_thumb.j

post-19415-0-84799000-1294756663_thumb.j

post-19415-0-57088100-1294756670_thumb.j

post-19415-0-15596800-1294756677_thumb.j

I would try new HT leads, not too expensive and if they are the originals they are going to be almost 12 years old and could be the cause of the problem?

Hi, I will look into this. Do u know if my car has a MAP sensor and where it would be? I have one to swap test if I could just locate it.

Ok, checked the HT leads and they look clean and fairly new. No split parts, and contacts look clean.

Hey interesting. Someone suggested doing a trip test via the dash board. It show error code p0103 which refers to the MAF. I will try swap testing this tomorrow.

Strange that the ELM327 device did not pick this up.

Ok, checked the HT leads and they look clean and fairly new. No split parts, and contacts look clean.

Was the ELM327 device used whilst the car was being driven or in a workshop?

If it was in the garage or workshop, the car wouldn't have been under load, whereas under normal driving your engine will be under load and any misfire is likely to occur under load conditions, sometimes a slight misfire may not be noticeable?

HT leads are carrying about 50,000 volts to your spark plugs and you cant judge their condition just by looking.

I would recommend changing the HT leads at least every 3 or 4 years

Hi I will consider changing the leads.

I have my own ELM327 device with software.

LIVE DATA GRID shows -

MAF sensor is reading 2.0 g/s and today it is windy and reads 3.6 g/s at idle

Engine RPM measured at 97rpm 2 but will drop to 794rpm and up and down

Engine coolant TEMP IS 83 oC

IntakeAir Temp is 14 0C

Absolute Throttle Position is 18.43%

Fuel system 1 states "closed loop"

Short term fuel trim Bank 1 is -2.3%

Long term fuel trim - Bank 1 is 1.6%

Fuel system 2 states "not reported" and Short term Fuel Trim of "0%"

Only have 1 oxygen sensor which is located at precat Sensor 1 Bank 1 so sensor fuel system 2 may not apply?

Ignition time advance for cylinder 1 is 20

Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor read "0" but apparently I do not have one of these.

Bank 1 Sensor 1 reads "No test data available" and "Oxygen sensor monitoring test not complete. Data could be invalid".

Oxygen sensor data changes up and down from different range - i took a measure before it changed at 0.175V with an average of 0.41

The car is at idle and reads a calculated load of 15%. When I drive it goes around 50% at about 30mph

I have notice that the 2 radiator fans are not rotating when the engine is running. Is this normal? Do i have to drive first?

I have notice that the 2 radiator fans are not rotating when the engine is running. Is this normal? Do i have to drive first?

The radiator fans are switched on by a combination of temperature sensor + engine management system.

When the engine gets hot + the coolant temperature rises above a certain level the cooling fans will be switched on.

You will usually notice the fans may come on if the engine has been running and reached full operating temperature + the car is stationary or when the car is slow moving in traffic.

What does your temperature gauge show when the engine has been running / warmed up / during normal driving?

Is your engine coolant level OK?

If its too low, VERY low, there is a possibility that the temp sensor may not be sending the correct signal to the engine management system. This could have the effect of the engine management system thinking the engine is cold / cool and supplying too much fuel??

Hi, fans will come on if a/c is on or if the internal heater fans are on. So it looks ok. It is quite cold outside so I guess the radiator isnt hot enuff.

So still have the bad idle and fuel consumption issue.