Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Removal

jeebowhite

Sticky Thread Worthy?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would this thread be useful to others if made a sticky thread?

Sorry for the delay guys, the standard cost without this offer is £750. still cheaper than getting ford to replace at £1000 and then maintain at £130 a shot for the eolys fluid...

makes you wonder why the manufacturers dont just do away with them altogether really mind you they make money for nowt really i have to be honest with so many new petrols on the market and really good mpg i dont think ide have a diesel again unless i was doing big miles strangely i know of a lot of diesels for sale all due to the above issue

does this gaurantee cover you if vosa pull you over if its an emission thing then it would be interesting to know where you would stand ive seen them inspecting cars and vans that run on diesel and they are very thorough its unlikely it would happen but still up my way they pull a lot of diesels looking for red or other stuff when they dont find it they start inspecting everything saw a guy that passed his mot 2 days before and vosa failed the car there and then on summat stupid

If a Ford dealer sees the dpf has been worked on and notices ecu mods could they not refuse to work on your car or are the mods undetectable?

artscot - apparently with the dpf removal and a good remap the emmisions dont really change that much. i know what you mean, in summer months, when everyone comes to whitby vosa set up a roadside MOT station here at Fylingdales and pull random cars in for an on the spot MOT etc.

jig - i would say it will only be noticeable if the dealer decided to take of the cat (where it shares it location). as for noticing it on programing...i have never come across a mechanic, that claims to be a electronic technician, any good at computers. that and i beleive the remap is within the ECU as code, so it is undetecable...the only thing i will say tho is that make sure where you take it puts the new and old map on a backup cd for you. i say this because if ford run a software/firmware update on you car it may very well erase this data...then obviously your car will throw a massive wobbly. tbh if the dealer says im not touching that because of this and that, i will retort with "well your loss of money then" and find a different garage.

LOL, its all ammusing, the only thing they would be disappointed by is the fact that they dont have to do the eolys fluid topups, If the car is out of warranty, I dont see why they should refuse to do it. To be honest, if I get the DPF removed it will only be until I can afford to get the petrol...

Looking around there are a few places around Kent who could do the same thing, if anyone is interested, I have spoken to kauto.co.uk and ecu-rs.com who can offer this service for between £300 and £500! if I cant switch the car, I am definately getting the damned filter removed...

Looking around there are a few places around Kent who could do the same thing, if anyone is interested, I have spoken to kauto.co.uk and ecu-rs.com who can offer this service for between £300 and £500! if I cant switch the car, I am definately getting the damned filter removed...

Im in the same boat,just had the car serviced had to pay some of the cost of a new turbo and stand to loose too much from trying to sell the car.I have a service plan also but I think you can change the car.Its frustrating knowing what to do just hoping it doesnt start playing up again,and keep doing a suggested 20 run at over 2500 rpm every few weeks.

I wonder if the service plan can be transferred to a different make of car altogether... I doubt it...

• 2 weeks later...

OK... so this information certainly is of help...

I emailed VOSA who then routed me to the DfT, and the outcome doesnt appear good...

Sent: 25 February 2011 14:06

To: Jeebowhite

Subject: FW: Vehicle Roadworthiness Question regarding Diesel Particulate Filter

Dear Jeebowhite

Your email of 18 February about removing the particulate filter from a diesel car was passed to the International Vehicle Standards Division and I have been asked to reply.

Under Regulation 61A of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, it is an offence to use a car on the road that has been modified and, as a result of the modification, does not meet the emissions requirement that applied to it when new. This is likely to be the case if a diesel particulate filter is removed. A copy of Regulation 61A is attached for information.

I hope this is helpful.

I replied back with the below, and it will probably take another fortnight to get an answer!

Good Afternoon and thank you for your reply. Until such a time as you are able to confirm the below information I will certainly not be taking the option of the removal.

Some companies have offered a “guarantee” that when they remove the DPF they will re-calibrate the ECU to ensure that it passes the emissions test for MOT. One specific company has offered a two year guarantee to ensure that this is the case.

If a vehicle is modified and passes the emissions test at a time of MOT, does this class as sufficient coverage to ensure that act 61A has been adhered to? And would the emissions have to meet exactly the standard as it was when it left the factory, or is a case that the vehicle must still pass the emissions, whereby as long as the vehicle does not fail the emissions test, then is this considered legal as per the quoted below?

I wonder this as I know as years go on the vehicles will lose efficiency and emissions will likely change as the vehicle and components age, and I don’t understand how the vehicle must abide to section 61A as it will age and surely will not be as efficient as the date it left the factory?

Does this mean that in fact the DPF removal service offered by some companies is in fact an illegal?

Kind Regards

Jeebowhite

Attached is the document they sent me

Regulation 61A Emission of smoke.doc

good on you jeeb, be interesting to hear their reply. Mind you being a government agency I bet you still get a less than definitive answer back from them. Reason being nobody will have a clue, or indeed the authority for that matter to give a definitive answer, but we can all live in hope.

oh S**T!

Pass the word... Unfortunately it seems that DPF is very very bad, and can probably result in you sharing a very small space with someone who has been convicted for one thing or another...

Sent: 28 February 2011 12:40

To: Jeebowhite

Subject: RE: Vehicle Roadworthiness Question regarding Diesel Particulate Filter

Dear Jeebowhite

Thanks for your further email of 25 February about the diesel particulate filter on your car. Please see my response (below in red) to your questions. I hope this is helpful.

Yours sincerely

Department for Transport

Sent: 25 February 2011 14:22

To: dft.gsi.gov.uk

Subject: RE: Vehicle Roadworthiness Question regarding Diesel Particulate Filter

Good Afternoon and thank you for your reply. Until such a time as you are able to confirm the below information I will certainly not be taking the option of the removal.

Some companies have offered a “guarantee” that when they remove the DPF they will re-calibrate the ECU to ensure that it passes the emissions test for MOT. One specific company has offered a two year guarantee to ensure that this is the case.

If a vehicle is modified and passes the emissions test at a time of MOT, does this class as sufficient coverage to ensure that act 61A has been adhered to? No it does not.

And would the emissions have to meet exactly the standard as it was when it left the factory, or is a case that the vehicle must still pass the emissions, whereby as long as the vehicle does not fail the emissions test, then is this considered legal as per the quoted below? The requirement is that the vehicle must not be modified in a manner which increases its emissions beyond the emissions standard it was required to meet when new.

I wonder this as I know as years go on the vehicles will lose efficiency and emissions will likely change as the vehicle and components age, and I don’t understand how the vehicle must abide to section 61A as it will age and surely will not be as efficient as the date it left the factory? As noted above its modifications that increase emissions that are prohibited. Normal gradual deterioration would be acceptable.

Does this mean that in fact the DPF removal service offered by some companies is in fact an illegal? Yes we believe that it is.

Kind Regards

Jeebowhite

hmm.... that is some good beef jee...i will have to pass this on to another forum to let them know.

What did I tell ya

Yes we believe that it is.

a none definitive answer,that said I would not like spend a wad in court trying to get one :rolleyes: .

When you have been around as long as I have, you will realise it is better banking on cynicism than banking on hope or desire, as it pays out nine times out of ten. :D

And to be honest guys, like I mapped out in post number 11 on this thread Yet Another DPF problem !!!

If your into a motor five to six years old it is highly unlikely it will be in your possession six to seven years down the road. So there are no economical reasons to pay out for a DPF removal as it's ballpark the price of replacement anyway. On top of that, your insurance will be legitimate, nor will you stand the risk of picking up a "Go Straight To Jail" card. And your car will be easier to shift on at the right money come the time to part company with it.................in other words......... IT'S A NO BRAINER

Drop the idea

>

>

>

>

>

>

Move on

>

>

>

>

>

Possibly think of having children

>

>

>

>

Or going about making them

Now I don't want to here another word about DPF removal......... :D

LMFAO brilliant!

its a right B*tch I have to say, I was hoping for something a bit more definitive, but nevermind.

Its a shame, all I can say is God Damn diesels...

The second I get approved for a nice big loan, its going to be bye bye Ford, hello Kia Cee'd!

• 4 weeks later...

LMFAO brilliant!

its a right B*tch I have to say, I was hoping for something a bit more definitive, but nevermind.

Its a shame, all I can say is God Damn diesels...

The second I get approved for a nice big loan, its going to be bye bye Ford, hello Kia Cee'd!

Not to blow this threads trumpet at all, but since so many people seem to be interested regularly in the excercise of removing the DPF, would this thread be helpful if it was made a sticky thread? Would anyone agree or disagree?

Posed as a Vote at the top of the thread!

Not to blow this threads trumpet at all, but since so many people seem to be interested regularly in the excercise of removing the DPF, would this thread be helpful if it was made a sticky thread? Would anyone agree or disagree?

Posed as a Vote at the top of the thread!

as i suspected it was illegal well if you add eloys fluid dpf replacements and the cost of diesel is it worth having a diesel at all with some petrols doing more mpg than diesels whats really the point

• 2 years later...

Hi John,

I believe you are right, it does seem to be true, and I think thats because of the engine and its tuning by ford! shame they couldnt just do that as standard...

Following on from this, above you will remember I contacted a company sinspeed regarding this, hopefully the information below will be of use to others. I am strongly considering them at this time!!

So basicly what is the conclusion,remove or just clean the dpf? i just deleted a P242f error yesterday from my car :/

To be honest, the opinion of the DFT seems to have changed, I have heard others (not from the horsers mouth) that as long as emissions pass, its fine, however the MOT recently has been tightened up.

It really is down to everyone who wants a DPF removal to get a guarantee of MOT pass, and its down to them to take the risk, but there really is no straight forward conclusion I have heard recently.

I called a guy about taking mine off and he said why whats wrong with it, and I said nothing and his response was I dont like doing myself out of money but if its not broke why fix it, he said if im worried about it going first but maxx dpf cleaner as thats what he puts in customers cars and swears by it.

I called a guy about taking mine off and he said why whats wrong with it, and I said nothing and his response was I dont like doing myself out of money but if its not broke why fix it, he said if im worried about it going first but maxx dpf cleaner as thats what he puts in customers cars and swears by it.

cant why just remove DPF and wash it and than just replace it?would it be much cheaaper :/

There's more benefits that can be had by removing it, but even washing and replacing, that does for now, it still needs replacing ultimately at its 75k miles mark

There's more benefits that can be had by removing it, but even washing and replacing, that does for now, it still needs replacing ultimately at its 75k miles mark

so final answer WASH it?look at this video i found does it work ?is it worth

so final answer WASH it?look at this video i found does it work ?is it worth

i dont know why the video link doesnt aper,just go on youtube and serch with this name

:

Pro-Line Dieselpartikelfilter-Reiniger (DPF-Reiniger) von LIQUI MOLY

• 2 months later...

When the DPF's clogged full of ash, what exactly is that ash made up of? And, what with the cerium-based catalyst liquid being used, do the focus DPFs actually contain any catalyst of their own?

I'm just trying to figure out whether it's going to be significantly damaging to the DPF itself, to flush it through with various liquids.. and also what the most useful fluids would be.

e.g. maybe a damn good wash through with brake cleaner to remove the oil based crud, then let's say if the ash is mainly a basic compound, a gallon of brick cleaner.. ?

Or lye if it's acidic?

or biological washing powder..?

i don't really trust prepackaged solutions these days, they're often so bound by regulation that they contain nothing of any use. Like the Halfords rust remover I just bought that turned out to be a weak form of lemon juice.

http://www.dieselnet.com/tech/dpf_ash.php

Ash derived from lubricant additives is composed primarily of zinc,
calcium, and magnesium in the form of sulfates, phosphates, and oxides

hmm.. so what liquid chemical would react well with those without significantly eating the dpf itself

i'm thinking brake cleaner followed by brick cleaner (hydrochloric acid).? both liquids that can be bought easily in bulk at useable concentration

Are you looking to remove the DPF to clean it?

In all honesty you would be better getting it removed. At the moment, you could spend plenty of time and money on trying to clean it to damage the filter, or let the chemicals remain and be part of the next occurance of build up. To remove and map it out, you would be a lot better off and would cost you a fraction of a new filter.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club