Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should Used Car Dealer Top Up Dpf Additive?

Daryll

This is a bit of a hypothetical question, but I'd like to have some ammunition, just in case....

I've just put a deposit down on an 09 Focus 1.6 tdci, with 38K on the clock.

I've read that the DPF additive should be topped up at 35k, but if it hasn't am I within my rights to get the used car dealer to get it done..?

When we looked at the car, I intended to flick through the service records, but forgot :o:, so I intend to ring the dealer and ask if it had a ford service around 35k... if it has, I'll assume the additive has been topped up, but if it hasn't had a service, (and if the previous owner intended to sell the car, would they pay out for a full service...??) can I demand that they get it filled..?? otherwise within a few weeks I'm going to end up with a £150-£200 garage bill...

Any advice appreciated...

Daryll.

Daryll,

it would not be unreasonable to expect the vehicle to have had the top up done as per Ford servicing schedule. But that's not to say in the real world it has been done, or that the 36K service has inbeen done carried out. In fact if I were forced to lay money on the fact one way or the other. I would put my brass on it not being done, service or top up.

So that being the case, and as it requires a Main Dealer reset as part of the additive top up. I would have to say to the dealer you needed Main Dealer invoice proof that it was done prior to completion of the sale, or your deposit back.

Deposit back, because if they refused, a small claims court would rule in your favour, as such a request was reasonable in the circumstances. And business's by and large don't want to waste time defending an indefensible claim in court, because it costs money and possibly reputations.

Thanks Catch, you're obviously a lawyer.. :)

Ok, I'll give them a ring this afternoon and ask when the last service was done, and was it by a Ford dealer...?

If it hasn't been done recently, I'll ask that it IS done, by Ford, or I'll have my deposit back.

I must admit, I did wonder as there seems to be a lot of confusion (even on this forum) over the DPF and additives, whether this car even needed it doing.... I went on the etis.Ford (?) site, and looked at the service scheduling for the 1.6 tdci, and could see no mention of the DPF additive on them...??

Edit: just looked again on the etis site, typed in the Reg number then followed it to the service schedule.. sure enough there was "Refill with EOLYS176 and reset according to TIS service instructions - 1.6/2.0 Duratorq-TDCi with EURO IV Emission and DPF, if applicable (LTS 23 563 4)" scheduled at 3 years/37500 miles... so it looks like it should have been done... whether or not it has, remains to be seen...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club