Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My 1St Main Service Nightmare Today . . .

Nightowl

Think I must have walked under a ladder this morning or stepped in front of a black cat. I don't recall doing either tbh!

My Mk7 was a year old last week so it had its first service today with 11,667 miles on the clock.

Was told that both front alloy wheels are "everso slightly buckled" (0.3 buckle on each - whatever that is???) and to replace them would be £161 each - being £322 the pair. They're the 7-spoke optional alloys for the titanium btw. Now whilst I do remember thudding into a hidden pothole a few months back in all that snow & ice we had (when the front nearside wheel dropped a good few inches into what seemed like a crater); heaven knows how, when or why the offside front wheel became buckled???

Anyway, drove the car 8 miles home - all motorway just about - pulled into my road & parked in a bay outside my house - where (to my horror), thick white choking smoke began pouring out from underneath the bonnet! I grabbed a few possessions - thinking the car was going to burst into flames at any second - and exited the car asap.

A minute later - once the fumes & smoke had cleared just a little - I opened the driver's door, reached in and pulled the bonnet lever. To my complete horror - the guy at Ford who had serviced my car had left the oil filler cap off!!!! The engine bay was drenched in oil - and plenty had got onto the very hot manifold and was causing all the mayhem with the thick white smoke! Luckily for me, the cap was wedged under the bonnet between the bonnet itself & the sound proofing fabric lining underneath the bonnet . . . which was also covered in oil of course.

!Removed! nightmare. That has got to be the most basic of errors I have ever come across?!?!

Of course, I called the dealership straight away - who were very apologetic - and explained I was not happy at all . . . especially having driven 8 miles home at 70mph with oil pouring out of the capless engine block!!!

To cut a long story short; took it back straight away & they bought me THE head of the servicing dept. He apologised several times - gave the nipper who did the service a roasting - made him steam-clean the whole engine bay - and for my wasted time/petrol/inconvenienece - they gave me a one litre bottle of Havoline engine oil & a free Ford 'winter care' back consisting of ice scraper, windscreen wash, de-icer, sponge & demist cloth!!!

Thinking about it; I nearly lost my car today. If not through a seized engine with no oil left in the sump - then to fire with very hot oil splashed all over the manifold cover, it was that bad.

Don't you just love Mondays?

What dealership was it so people know to avoid it!

sorry to hear about your aloys, thats guna be a costly replacment after only 1 year.

tbh, i would have pushed for more than that considering it could have caused major engine damage. Like the free replacement of your alloys....

What dealership was it so people know to avoid it!

sorry to hear about your aloys, thats guna be a costly replacment after only 1 year.

Believe it or not - it was Britain's oldest Ford dealer - Hendy Ford - who celebrated their 100th year last year!

Did they not offer some sort of refund for the service? I would have been livid! I know mistakes are easy to make but thats a simple thing to check.

I hate complaining but i would have been mad if that has happened to me! I'd of demanded some sort of monetary refund instead of poxy ice scrapers!

Seems you were very lucky, things could have been much worse. And yeh, try and get the alloys free!

As others have said, I would have pressed them for more, like a free next service (they want you to come back, giving you a refund means they probably won't ever see you again, so less incentive).

If the alloys are only "ever so slightly" buckled then personally I'd leave them alone. It's only a problem if the tyre can't maintain its seal to the rim or you get vibration. The real test will be when you have the tyres replaced and they have trouble balancing them. I drove my previous Focus for years with all four "slightly" buckled rims - it got mentioned as "something to keep an eye on" at services/MOTs/tyre changes, but never caused a problem.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me 2 months ago. I had driven about 20 miles, and only when I stopped for fuel I noticed the same smoke. oil filler cap in the same place as yours, and oil everywhere.

I went straight back to Jennings Ford and played hell. The engine was cleaned etc & they have offered the next service free.

Not good in my book :angry:

:rolleyes: My god I would have been livid aswell.

(I've got an auto too - do they replace transmission fluid or anything like that on the first service?)

Can someone tell me what the service intervals for the car is please?

12 months or 12500 miles.

speak to premier wheels in coulsdon about you wheels mate they can straighten bent alloys or will certainly tell if they can't be dealt with, may not even need a refurbish just a go on a wheel press, they sorted out something for me recently and they are sooooo helpful, they actually seem to want to help which makes a change these days. think about 50 a wheel for repair dependeing on what need s doing

www.premierwheelrepairs.com

:rolleyes: My god I would have been livid aswell.

(I've got an auto too - do they replace transmission fluid or anything like that on the first service?)

No.The transmission fluid isn't changed at the 1st main service. Infact - I don't think it's changed for a few years - just topped up.

I always check under the bonnet before pulling away. I dont trust mechanics, alot of them are cowboys. I think you should of opted for a partial refund and maybe a half price service next time.

No.The transmission fluid isn't changed at the 1st main service. Infact - I don't think it's changed for a few years - just topped up.

Oh right,

cheers for the info

Sorry to hear about that nightmarish service, hope there is no longer term engine damage...but....one litre bottle of Havoline engine oil & a free Ford 'winter care' pack.....what an absoulute p1ss take

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club