Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daytime Running Lights

anthandapril

Hi all,

Well i've got a new s max with drl's and have seen others that have them on at the same time as their headlights

Just wanted to know how to do this as it looks really good but mine doesn't do it and there is nothing about it in the manual and my local dealer doesn't know anything about it???? Any help or advice will be gratefully received

Thanks Everyone

TBH you're better off finding out how to switch them off completely - unless you like people flashing at you all day long to advise you that you have your front fog lamps switched on.

hi thanks for the reply i have a new car with the led daytime lights in the bottom of the bumper. these are the lights i want to have on at the same time as the headlights as i have seen it on others

the cars you see with both headlights and drl's on at night are not manufactor fitted but must be an aftermarket kit fitted by themselves,if wired in correctley the drl will switch off as soon as the headligfhts are switched on because most are too bright for night time use and could attract the attention of the traffic wombles.

hi thanks for the reply but these cars with both headlights and drl's on at the same time are definatly not aftermarket led lights they are the ones that ford fitted in the factory. i see this issue daily where i live but am really annoyed that my car doesn't do it. has anyone got a workshop manual for the s-max that they can email or put a link on here for me

Seriously don't bother. As I say, you will get constant people flashing you as they will think the DRLs are fog-lamps. I get this all the time on my company car and it drives me mad.

You have your headlamps on at night - you're perfectly visible to everyone else. You don't need the DRLs on as well.

• 9 months later...

I've purely registered just to add to this post as it's annoying when anthandapril just wants to know something and others feel they have to post a reply even though they can't answer the actual question.

I have the same issue with my S-Max but every other one I see on the road has the DRL's on at night and I've been looking into why. I have found out that the first production run of s-max's were wired for the DRL's to go off when the lights are turned on. After that however, it was changed so that they remained on. This is because of some issue that I'm still in the process of finding out what it was.

I believe to rectify this would mean you would need to change or replace the loom and I'm in the process of finding out how it can be done and how much it would cost.

If like me you want them on at night purely because it looks far nicer and you don't care what other people think you should do, then I hope to have more news shortly.

• Like 1

It is illegal to use DRL's at night.

As taken from the Department for Transport's legislation on DRLs:

"DRL should be installed such that they activate automatically when the engine starts and switch off when headlamps are turned on. If this is not the case then you must ensure that you manually turn DRL off at night as they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others if used in low ambient lighting conditions."

The clue is in the title DAYLIGHT running lights (not NIGHTTIME running lights).

Your request to "look far nicer" at night is at the risk of other road users. Don't do it.

I presume you would "care what other people think" when they hit you head on because they were blinded by your lights - especially when your insurance company refuses to pay up because you had illegal lights on your car...

Well someone should tell Ford as they are in breach of the Department for Transport directive! I have just bought an S Max titanium 2.0dci 162. Registered 31st March 2011. My drl's stay on at night in conjunction with the headlights, they are a lot dimmer when on with headlights as opposed to during the day when they are a lot brighter. You cant turn them off as far as I know! I agree, they look very smart at night and are in no way, shape of form a danger to other road users.

Well someone should tell Ford as they are in breach of the Department for Transport directive! I have just bought an S Max titanium 2.0dci 162. Registered 31st March 2011. My drl's stay on at night in conjunction with the headlights, they are a lot dimmer when on with headlights as opposed to during the day when they are a lot brighter. You cant turn them off as far as I know! I agree, they look very smart at night and are in no way, shape of form a danger to other road users.

Yes I have the same on an S-Max bought in September

The bit I dont like about the DRL's is..... I was expecting the rear lights to come on as well but they dont Thought this would be a good idea to deter the drivers who end up driving on my boot lid! Decided now to fit some bright reflective tape that might help..... short of that possibly a gravel gun!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

The DRL's on the later model S-Max are also the vehicles side lights (turn on side lights and notice the headlamps have no bulbs illuminated). The LED's dim when the vehicles side lights are activated to comply with regulations regarding candella limits for a sidelight (as they are not a directed beam). Therefore they are DRL's and sidelights, both are used to warn other road users of your presence, just at different times of day!

• 1 month later...

Hi I have a March 2011 S Max and the 'DRLs' lights dim when the headlights are activated. This is entirely as ford intended. During the day these LED strips light brightly. At night (when lights are switched on or the auto sensor activates them) they dim down to normal levels of modern side lights> If they were at full brightness during the night they would dazzle on coming drivers! Like them or hate them, they do work as intended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem on my smax ( bought in May 2010 ).

Can you tell me if there is a solution to your problem?

• 3 years later...

Did anyone ever find a fix for the 2010 facelift models to have their drl's (albeit dimmed) at nighttime? I have just bought a 2010 facelift model and would love to get these working at night...

Cheers Paul

As per comments above, DRL's are for day time only, if they are on when head lights are on they dim as per regulation.

I have fitted after market DRLS. Osram 8 LEDS these turn on when I turn on ignition and stay on when side lights are on but turn off when dipped are on, I have a drl relay fitted to them which enables this feature.

Did anyone ever find a fix for the 2010 facelift models to have their drl's (albeit dimmed) at nighttime? I have just bought a 2010 facelift model and would love to get these working at night...

Cheers Paul

The first facelift batches came with fixed intensity DRLs, so had to be switched off when the headlights come on to comply with regulation. The later ones were/are dimmable i.e. completely different versions that could be dimmed internally - they carry an extra wire and are supplied by a revised sub-loom.

• 1 year later...

My Smax NEARSIDE daytime running/sidelight has stopped working (the offside is fine and performs as it should). Anyone any suggestions appreciated?

Edited by Rollernig
poilteness!

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2015 at 10:29 PM, supercmaxer said:

As per comments above, DRL's are for day time only, if they are on when head lights are on they dim as per regulation.

I have fitted after market DRLS. Osram 8 LEDS these turn on when I turn on ignition and stay on when side lights are on but turn off when dipped are on, I have a drl relay fitted to them which enables this feature.

What wire did you cut into 

I have a max 2007 I want to wire harness into the dipped beam head lamp live wire but can't find colour ? I have a blue and brown wire ??

• 1 year later...

Hi, is there anyone who knows how to plug wires correctly to the genuine DRL LED headlights (there are three pins)? I've S-max '11 and it doesn't have DRL lights already installed. I've bought lamps, proper plugs and plastic brackets but now have no idea how to do electric stuff. I wish you can help me, thanks in advance!

Wysłane z mojego MI MAX 2 przy użyciu Tapatalka

• 4 months later...
On 1/5/2020 at 9:56 PM, manufakturadk said:

Hi, is there anyone who knows how to plug wires correctly to the genuine DRL LED headlights (there are three pins)? I've S-max '11 and it doesn't have DRL lights already installed. I've bought lamps, proper plugs and plastic brackets but now have no idea how to do electric stuff. I wish you can help me, thanks in advance!

Wysłane z mojego MI MAX 2 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Have you done it?

• 4 months later...

I know I am very late to this conversation but I have only just bought a Ford S Max. I was wondering why my friends 2012 S Max had the dimming DRL's and I didn't so I had a quick nose about. What I found is the feed wire from the sidelight circuit is missing on the early model with the DRL's. Basically if you unplug the wireing plug from the rear of your DRL's you will notice that the third wire point is blocked off with a white plastic pin. Remove this pin, source a small female connector the same as the factory connectors (similar to this item https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp/968221-1/A126107CT-ND/7320190), fit this into the factory wireing plug with enough 20G wire on it to reach the sidelight wireing loom and connect the loose end of the wire to the positive of your sidelights. Hey presto! When you turn your sidelights on your DRL's stay on but dim down by 50%. Hope this helps somebody out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 10:08 PM, Zedar said:

I know I am very late to this conversation but I have only just bought a Ford S Max. I was wondering why my friends 2012 S Max had the dimming DRL's and I didn't so I had a quick nose about. What I found is the feed wire from the sidelight circuit is missing on the early model with the DRL's. Basically if you unplug the wireing plug from the rear of your DRL's you will notice that the third wire point is blocked off with a white plastic pin. Remove this pin, source a small female connector the same as the factory connectors (similar to this item https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp/968221-1/A126107CT-ND/7320190), fit this into the factory wireing plug with enough 20G wire on it to reach the sidelight wireing loom and connect the loose end of the wire to the positive of your sidelights. Hey presto! When you turn your sidelights on your DRL's stay on but dim down by 50%. Hope this helps somebody out.

Zedar, I may have the same issue with my 2010 after-lift version, Are your front DLR's turned on when you flip the light control to - Side and tail lamps? Mine does not, only rear lights are on. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club