Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't Buy A Fiesta!

moon_monkie

I'm almost tempted to close this thread - at the end of the day no product issued into the mass market is perfect.

I have done 27,000 miles on my wheels and they're perfect - as is everything else about the car. Using thread titles like this just scares people and doesn't give a balanced impression.

"Problems with my wheels" or "Another one with problems with my wheels" would have been more appropriate - as I admit we have had several. Let people make up their own minds about what in my opinion is an extremely fine product.

I'm almost tempted to close this thread

Agreed.

The topic title is wholly missleading.

Sour grapes by the OP methinks...

• Like 1

Actually thinking about it, many other car makers have similar problems...I have read about cheap alloy beingused in BMW and Merc factory wheels suffering from buckling etc.

Maybe the OP should get a tire setup like this

32298670005large.jpg

Ford only allows us a 195/50 here. 205/40 gives up @.6" of sidewall, which doesn't sound like much, but when sidewalls @5" are considerd alot, then a half inch is giving up alot.

All the negative comments I read here just tells me....don't drive around on pothole infested roads with low profile tires wrapped around aluminum rims and don't use summer tires in the snow. How that is a poor reflection on a cars design, I don't know. Sounds more like poor end-user choices. Although maybe if Ford only allowed you guys to have 60 or even 70 series profile tires as stock considering the road contitions, then all these headaches could have been avoided, but then the car would be ugly to look at. Look at the US fiesta's, damn thing looks like it's trying to be a 4x4 with how high it sits and the huge sidewall tires.

Lmao...Right so it's a forum site, where you can't post something without it being closed...

Very democratic!

I think there getting more at the title of the topic, "Dont buy a fiesta" isnt really the best thing to post on a forum full of Fiesta Fans!

Appropriate titles as previously posted would be "Fiesta Wars: The Buckled Wheel Strikes Back", "Buck-a-roo" or simply "Another Buckled Wheel"

Democracy wouldn't be with a title of "Don't buy a fiesta", Thats not how you start a democratic discussion.

However thats my opinion... care to share :lol:

Lmao...Right so it's a forum site, where you can't post something without it being closed...

Very democratic!

If you'll notice - the thread is still open.

I said I considered it, I then went on to say how my thought had developed - which followed the lines of what several people had already said - and then left the thought open ended for others to have their say, which they have.

That's what moderators do on a forum - they moderate between both sides of an argument. My personal opinion is that the thread is misleading to anyone running a search on the state of the car in general - as a mod I have let the discussion run.

If you'll notice - the thread is still open.

I said I considered it, I then went on to say how my thought had developed - which followed the lines of what several people had already said - and then left the thought open ended for others to have their say, which they have.

That's what moderators do on a forum - they moderate between both sides of an argument. My personal opinion is that the thread is misleading to anyone running a search on the state of the car in general - as a mod I have let the discussion run.

I don't the alloys are noteoriously bad, as stated on a few sites, I think if someone disaproves they should state what they want.

Anyone searching the site would also come across the many Good! reports etc and make they're own mind up.

I think you'll find most modertors dont consider closing threads because they disagree.

I wouldnt say they are notoriously bad..Alpha had big problems with stock alloys, BMW went thru a bad pahse with bad alloys, in fact I think the worst would prob be Vauxhalls.

That doesnt make them bad cars, jsut means they are being a bit cheap on the alloys in their own stock wheels, which must still be conforming to the EU strength/ saftey tests.

I wouldnt say they are notoriously bad..Alpha had big problems with stock alloys, BMW went thru a bad pahse with bad alloys, in fact I think the worst would prob be Vauxhalls.

That doesnt make them bad cars, jsut means they are being a bit cheap on the alloys in their own stock wheels, which must still be conforming to the EU strength/ saftey tests.

Is that the same as Alfa? Lmao...

I'm not saying by all means that they're bad cars, I love my lil fiesta, it hasn't got anything on my Mito but it's great for what I need.

I just can't stand mod's on a power fix considering closing a threat because they disagree.

Anyone that comes onto the site will read it and make nothing of it, they will read the good and bad threads and decide.

I actually am quite impressed with my alloys, I have the standard Zetec ones and they have fared really well (so has the car) with all potholes that have come about. I try to avoid them but you always hit a few! With the weather we have been having I doubt any manufactures alloys won't have had problems...

Pay more attention to the road and you'll hit less potholes, or at least be able to slow down for them. Problem solved.

As I stated earlier, the time I buckled my alloys I was driving too fast for the road (one that I had previously been down and already seen the massive crevice that had appeared) so I should have adjusted my driving rather than expecting my alloys to be able to deal with the pothole successfully.

Is that the same as Alfa? Lmao...

I'm not saying by all means that they're bad cars, I love my lil fiesta, it hasn't got anything on my Mito but it's great for what I need.

I just can't stand mod's on a power fix considering closing a threat because they disagree.

Anyone that comes onto the site will read it and make nothing of it, they will read the good and bad threads and decide.

Power fix? How exactly is considering closing a thread being on a power fix?

You are arguing in favour of balanced argument - which believe it or not is what I'm aiming to achieve, and why the thread stayed open. I still don't believe posting a thread titled 'Don't buy a Fiesta' and then providing one reason which the majority have had no trouble with is encouraging balanced discussion.

Also - I have no problem at all with the content of the thread, people are fully entitled to say whatever they want about anything (hell, it's even been suggested that the Mito is a good car) it was the title I have a problem with, nothing more.

I actually am quite impressed with my alloys, I have the standard Zetec ones and they have fared really well (so has the car) with all potholes that have come about. I try to avoid them but you always hit a few! With the weather we have been having I doubt any manufactures alloys won't have had problems...

standard zetec here too , ive hit a few over the past year , some very big and my alloys are still fine , like others have said it seems to be more with the titanium/zetec s alloys as the cusion between tyre and alloy is smaller.

Its very hard to avoid potholes at night on unlit roads that you have not driven down before ,or for that matter newly created potholes that your not aware of!

Hi all, I'm glad my thread has caused so much discussion. Maybe the title was a little OTT but it was intended to get a reaction and see what problems other people have had with their wheels. What annoys me about Ford is their utter disregard for loyal customers such as ourselves that have been happy with various Fords over the years, I can't see how they can afford to ignore quality issues and leave customers unhappy. There's no doubt about it the Fiesta is a great car but the whole brand is being let down by cost cutting on the quality of the wheels they are fitting. How can a set from Halfords purchased at a third of the cost of a set of the Ford supplied wheels stand up better to British roads than the standard ones. (That's whats happening in our case).. :o)

What annoys me about Ford is their utter disregard for loyal customers such as ourselves. I can't see how they can afford to ignore quality issues...

Every company from Ford to Aston Martin have quality issues, it's the way of the world.

...and leave customers unhappy.

You're only unhappy because you haven't got your own way. Maybe Ford are unhappy that people are driving down potholes then going to ford and expecting a replacment wheel.

...that have been happy with various Fords over the years,

So you have had a problem with one car, presumably one dealer, yet you was happy in the previous years that you have had Ford's and all of a sudden you're advising people to stay clear. I would suggest you're being quite fickle.

There's no doubt about it the Fiesta is a great car but the whole brand is being let down by cost cutting on the quality of the wheels they are fitting.

If you want extra quality then the chances are you'll be paying a lot more for a new Fiesta, then people start moaning again. YOU may feel that the brand is being let down, but I suggest that you are in the minority if the amount of complaints since the Fiesta was released and the replies on this thread are anything to go by.

How can a set from Halfords purchased at a third of the cost of a set of the Ford supplied wheels stand up better to British roads than the standard ones. (That's whats happening in our case).. :o)

I don't know, maybe you've started to avoid pot holes now you know you're not going to get a set of free wheels.

Do you work for Ford by any chance? I'm sure if you'd had the same problems we've had you would have expected Ford cust service to help out a little, of course we don't expect them to replace all our wheels or even admit they have a problem but driving a car like a Nun because your wheels can't stand upto normal road use just isn't on.

Remember these are standard fit wheels on the Titanium which isn't even supposed to be a sporty model, I could sort of understand it if we had decided to upgrade and fit 17" alloys to it due to the tyre depth being smaller but we didn't. Surely Ford should accept some responsibility for the spec of the standard wheels/tyres as they are obviously not able to cope with normal road use and conditions.

No one manages to avoid all the dodgy road surfaces and potholes especially in the dark on unlit roads so the quality/specification of the wheels should be at a sufficient level to cope.

3 wheels ruined in one year in a car driven by a very careful driver (the wife) is more than bad luck, she drove a Puma for 5 years prior to this on the same roads with no problem at all and a Fiesta for 4 years before that (both with alloys). Seems like more than a coincidence to me.

Do you work for Ford by any chance? I'm sure if you'd had the same problems we've had you would have expected Ford cust service to help out a little, of course we don't expect them to replace all our wheels or even admit they have a problem but driving a car like a Nun because your wheels can't stand upto normal road use just isn't on.

Remember these are standard fit wheels on the Titanium which isn't even supposed to be a sporty model, I could sort of understand it if we had decided to upgrade and fit 17" alloys to it due to the tyre depth being smaller but we didn't. Surely Ford should accept some responsibility for the spec of the standard wheels/tyres as they are obviously not able to cope with normal road use and conditions.

No one manages to avoid all the dodgy road surfaces and potholes especially in the dark on unlit roads so the quality/specification of the wheels should be at a sufficient level to cope.

3 wheels ruined in one year in a car driven by a very careful driver (the wife) is more than bad luck, she drove a Puma for 5 years prior to this on the same roads with no problem at all and a Fiesta for 4 years before that (both with alloys). Seems like more than a coincidence to me.

I have a Titanium, same wheels, don't drive like a nun and had no probs whatsoever.

• Like 1

Exactly my point, just because you haven't had a problem with your wheels doesn't mean all the people who have must be at fault themselves rather than accept there maybe problems with the quality of the wheels supplied. I suppose it's difficult to accept that there may be problems with your choice of car but giving future buyers the facts so they can make an informed choice when they buy has got to be a good thing.

FYI our wheels were not the same as yours (same size but different design we had the 7 spoke ones).

• Like 1

FYI our wheels were not the same as yours (same size but different design we had the 7 spoke ones).

doesn't mean they're made of a different material.

I'm on the 17s and on coilovers so my situation lends itself more so to this problem yet mine are fine.

What exactly is the problem anyway? I mean you never knew until you were told they were buckled so it obviously didn't affect the drive. Can you not put new tyres in cos there is a flat spot? Tony buckles are nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Exactly my point, just because you haven't had a problem with your wheels doesn't mean all the people who have must be at fault themselves rather than accept there maybe problems with the quality of the wheels supplied.

It's amazing though how you absolve yourself of any blame. It's you or whoever is driving the car that is hitting the pot holes, nobody else. I don't drive in potholes, the wife doesn't drive in pot holes. Why don't you just drive a bit more carefully then there wouldn't be the chance to damage anything.

I suppose it's difficult to accept that there may be problems with your choice of car but giving future buyers the facts so they can make an informed choice when they buy has got to be a good thing.

It's amazing isn't it, I don't have any problems with my car, never had any problems with my car, but you think I find it hard to accept there is a problem with my car. Go figure.

• Like 1

I was planning to buy one this year but going by the experiences shared by all I have changed my mind. Thanks for sharing your views.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club