Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pollen Filter

buldoggaz

Pasanger side foot well, remove glove box, remove fuse box, filter is located to right of fuse box behind a oblong shaped cover held by 3 or 4 screws, first time you think never again, but each time it is renewed it seems easier, dont be put off, it dose require changing, I do mine every 20,000.

Regards Brian :rolleyes:

yeah i can second that.

1) remove glove box

2) drop fusebox from bracket (no need to disconnect the wires)

3) remove fusebox bracket

4) you will see a black long shaped plastic cover, remove 3 bolts

5) remove old, insert new

6) reverse instructions to reassemble

right pain in the !Removed! first time, but i noticed a difference straight away, fresher air etc

Anybody know the part number for the pollen filter that fits the Mk2 Ford Focus 1.6 petrol 04-07 ?

Pasanger side foot well, remove glove box, remove fuse box, filter is located to right of fuse box behind a oblong shaped cover held by 3 or 4 screws, first time you think never again, but each time it is renewed it seems easier, dont be put off, it dose require changing, I do mine every 20,000.

Regards Brian :rolleyes:

i've just done a full service on my car including the pollen filter. not sure on part nos, but it was a Mann FILTER brand.

eurocarparts have loads of variety and even a visit to unipart, andrew page or any other motorfactor will be able to get them cheaper than halfrauds. i paid £5 for mine at Darlington Kar Parts. Halfords will most likely want around £10-£20.

i bet its the same range of filters across the whole mk2 range. could be wrong tho.

i bet its the same range of filters across the whole mk2 range. could be wrong tho.

Yes I thought that John, the Ford one, part no. 1 494 691 looked like favourite. Anyway I saw one on eBay, but it said for 2006 onwards, so I contacted the guy. He asked for my reg [55 plate] then came back to me saying it was an earlier one. He said he works for Ford and checked it on the Ford data base, so he said order the one on eBay, but he will send the correct one for my car. [£5.64 delivered]

So I suspect it will be like the one advertised, a Ford replacement filter. Either way when it arrives, I'll post back on here what part no it is.

update to the above,

The filter has arrive and it is as I suspected the Ford supplied one, part number: 1 494 691. Like you John I could not see there being different filters for the same model, be it a 55 plate or a 06 plate.

Edited: 6th Feb 13:10.

The physical dimensions are 230mm x 210mm. Now I have not tried replacing it yet as the weather is crap. But when I do, I'll be able to report back here wither it fits or not. Of course anybody having replaced one wither it be a genuine Ford offering or not, should be able to confirm if it conforms to the right dimensions.

Knowing if it is the correct part number means you can stand a good chance of picking one up on eBay for a couple of quid plus postage. I say that because there seems to be a lot kicking about on eBay on 99p start auctions. Possibly garages buy in service kit's, but mechanics don't actually change the pollen filters, simply because its an @rse of a job. And come on how many punters if any would take out the old one. [to see how dirty a used one looked like] and then do the same again to check if it had indeed been changed. So subsequently they end up on eBay [guy I bought mine off said he worked for Ford]

Call me a cynic if you must, but it comes with age. In that the primary objective of any and all business is to take as much money out of your pocket, whilst employing as little effort on their part as possible. :rolleyes:

sounds good...a bit of info to help others in future there.

this part will most likely fit the entire mk2 range and i bet other models say the mondeo etc, from what i have learnt is car manufacturers save loads of money by doing this so most have adopted this method...worst i have seen for this is peugeot (hence all their problems).

Right here are some photo's I took, to aid anyone wanting to have ago at changing their own Pollen Filter. Just follow the advice already given by John and Brian.

The question you have to ask yourself is this...has it ever been changed?

Lets look at my motor as an example.

It's a 55 plate, so at the time I write this post, it is five years and four months old. Having supposedly undergone four services prior to coming into my ownership back in October 2009. It had what was agreed prior to me picking it up from the selling Ford Main dealer, a 37.5K major service. It was sold as a "Franchise Approved Vehicle" Now I was present when my mechanic did it's first service in my ownership in October 2010, and I said I would do the pollen filter myself at a later date. Now bare in mind the pollen filter is supposed to be changed at every annual service. Myself I think that is not really necessary unless your doing a fair mileage say 20K or above.

Anyway my motor has 39,396 miles on the clock, and when I removed the filter I Googled the manufactures name, Micronair you will see on that page that it states:The majority of all new vehicles are fitted with micronAir.

So, given that the Ford replacement pollen filters part number 1 494 691, the one I fitted, are slightly different to the Micronair one I removed. And given that there are quite a few different after market branded filters stocked by auto parts suppliers to the trade. It would be fair to assume that the filter I removed was in fact the original filter installed in the aircon unit prior to it being installed at the time of the cars build date. Indeed the nut headed type screws that secured the filter cover, looked like they had never seen a socket since the day they were originally screwed in.

So I would recommend to all that if you want to be sure your motors filter is up to the job, best to replace the filter yourself. Like I said on my last post eBay is full of auctions of these filters :rolleyes:

Additional Tip:

Photo one shows the glove box removed, now after removing the glove box, 4 screws at top, 3 at the bottom. Disconnect the mechanism that is supposed to stop the glove box door from opening to quickly. It's just to the right of the opening in the picture, a plastic rod in a cylinder type thing. Then just pull the glove box lid [using both hands] it will come away from it's securing hinges. Reverse instruction to refit, you will hear it click into its hinges.

Fuseboxout.jpg

Filterhousing.jpg

PF.jpg"]

PF1-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So let me get this right, You have to remove the whole of the !Removed! glove box? Is somebody having a laugh here or what?

On my old Picasso, lift bonnet, undo 3 wing nuts at back of engine, remove plate ,replace filter. Job done in less than 2 mins flat.

When replacing the light bulbs for the Focus, let me guess, another hour and a half needed for that no doubt? Ha Ha. What a joke.

nout to hardly complain about really...7 torx screws and your glovebox can pull out...easy.

the headlight thing is a bit of a joke but no more than 2 mins, 1 torx screw, pull light out...gain access to light unit...no need to disconnect electrical connection...

i see where your coming from but if you want worse you should look at a peugeot...to replace headlight bulb you have to dismantle the accelerator cable unit. the pollen filters on those aswell, you need to be the hulk to get the protector panel off...and when you do you have to go buy new from peugeot for £30!!! on order aswell!

nout to hardly complain about really...7 torx screws and your glovebox can pull out...easy.

the headlight thing is a bit of a joke but no more than 2 mins, 1 torx screw, pull light out...gain access to light unit...no need to disconnect electrical connection...

i see where your coming from but if you want worse you should look at a peugeot...to replace headlight bulb you have to dismantle the accelerator cable unit. the pollen filters on those aswell, you need to be the hulk to get the protector panel off...and when you do you have to go buy new from peugeot for £30!!! on order aswell!

ive never needed to remove the headlight its pretty doable ide say takes a minute to do both

the pollen filters on those aswell, you need to be the hulk to get the protector panel off...and when you do you have to go buy new from peugeot for £30!!! on order aswell!

You see peeps that's the beauty of running a Ford, you can pick up a genuine Ford replacement filter for less than £6 on eBay.

Was watching Top Gear tonight, loved the piece about buying second hand "dogs bollacks" motors for less than 6K.

James May was right, and I would say that people earning average earnings or less would probably soon find out why motors like that are only 6k to buy. And as May said it would probably bankrupt anybody buying them, V12 petrol mmmmmmmmmm nice, just think of the fuel , insurance, road tax, and servicing costs. Then when something needs replacing ............

ive never needed to remove the headlight its pretty doable ide say takes a minute to do both

on the mk2 focus you need to remove the headlight to change a bulb..

Hi guys!

Any chance someone could point to a link or offer photos of how to remove the glove box on Focus mk.II?

BR//Drazha

Hi guys!

Any chance someone could point to a link or offer photos of how to remove the glove box on Focus mk.II?

BR//Drazha

Welcome to the forum.

now assuming you have read the content and viewed the photos on this thread, I can only assume this post is a Reverse Irish Joke Post. killingme.gif

To replace pollen filter, take car down to brilliant local garage that charges reasonable prices and get it done same time as a service. It will save you the frustration, time and anger of having to smash the whole !Removed! car up whilst attempting it.

Job done. :angry:

During the war............what is it with you young whipper snappers, it's a nowt job really, I've spent longer on the toilet. :ph34r:

Wife came back from work the other day, and said our car was now the dirtiest car parked outside her office block. She said all her work mates [who I reckon are on circa a tenner an hour] paid twenty five quid to have their cars washed, polished and vaced out. I said, if it worries you that much it's easily solved, and I'll only charge you a tenner.......mates rates :D

One of the local car wash places i frequent , you know the one where they hire illegal immigrants, but boy do they do a cracking job ;) Anyhow they charge £10 for wash, chamois leather, vacuum the whole interior including the roof lining. Polish the wheels and make the windows look new inside and out All plastics are cleaned to a high standard and you are given a freshener at the end. 4 of them working on your car for 20 mins.

clearly theres a price difference - £15 down here in kent! lol the expensive north south divide shows :P I got a full blown valet, the full works for £60 on my focus when I had it... I dont think thats too bad, took them a good few hours, car was like brand new!

same as bottletree, but the libyans as i call them charge £5!...this is just at an old petrol station near the tyne bridge

my only problem finding somewhere new as cheap and as good! border force got to them i think :/

haha, thats because your entering Geordie territory! thats why its so cheap :) you might find them hanging around on street corners making up the difference!

Maybe they thought if they dared to ask for £10, so many people would get their cars washed and drive off without paying! lol

hahaha sounds true...just as well im not a native geordie...more of a teesider or smoggie as its known. :lol:

I was a smoggie for long enough, I dont like to admit it as admitting your town took orders from Stockton to hang a monkey - and you did, kinda makes you look a muppet :)