Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worn Suspension

martpuma

Hi I have a Puma which i purchased last November, it's a 2000 model with very low miles 28,000. I have replaced both the upper top mounts and the front wishbones but I think the suspension may also need changing. It's passed the MOT but my question is will a 10 year old car that has low miles still suffer from worn suspension? When I brake it does feel like it dips quite a bit at the front and on the motorway to me feels like it bobs about a bit.

If it is worn would I need to change both the struts and springs or just struts? I don't want to keep spending money on the car but if this will sort out the ride it will be worth it as in most ways the car is in nice condition.

the best way is to test to bob and rise of the suspension, if you push down on the front corners, they should have a maximum bounce of 1, this means when you release they should go up, then go down and up again and then stop, bear in mind if its less its good

this is the test for the dampers as it checks the resistance created by them

the best way is to test to bob and rise of the suspension, if you push down on the front corners, they should have a maximum bounce of 1, this means when you release they should go up, then go down and up again and then stop, bear in mind if its less its good

this is the test for the dampers as it checks the resistance created by them

Thanks I have done this test and it doesn't seem too bad but i'm sure i read somewhere that with Mcperson struts this test isn't as good as the struts can be worn but not show when doing this bounce test. I don't think they are knackered but not giving the sporty feel they once did. Unless it is something else that is worn and not suspension itself?

It's a difficult one as I don't want to spend more money on something that doesn't need replacing but at the same time would like to improve the ride/handling of what is a great little car.

Are you getting any lean on fast cornering? The Puma should remain pretty well level on corners.

If YOU feel you want better handling etc i would change it. I'd go for a set of 30mm lowering spring and new shocks.

Are you getting any lean on fast cornering? The Puma should remain pretty well level on corners.

Yes it does lean a bit more than i would expect, I'm sure my original puma which I had a few years ago didn't lean like this one, also when hard braking I really feel the car rock forwards on the suspension more than I remember. But then again it was a while ago I had my last one

If YOU feel you want better handling etc i would change it. I'd go for a set of 30mm lowering spring and new shocks.

Not sure how much this will affect my insurance though as I am on a multicar policy which works well on unmodified cars

Any particular brand setup that you would recomend?

PI are good, GAZ are fantastic, lots out there

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club