Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaking Clutch Fluid

shaddow

Hi all, just noticed some brake/clutch fluid on my floor mat. It seems to be coming down the clutch pedal, and onto the mat. At first i thought it was melted ice of my feet but on inspection it felt greasy. So on looking at my brake fluid reservior it needed topping up. Sounds like it needs a new master cylinder fitted. Is this a big job or can i handle it myself, And do they do a repair kit for them like they used to in my day, or is it a throw away item as most things are nowadays? If its a garage job, how much we looking at as a guide?. Only had the thing for a month and already had to replace the exhaust. By the way its a mark one facelift, 1.8 tdci, on a 05 plate. Any help greatfully recieved.

Shaddow

Hi all, just noticed some brake/clutch fluid on my floor mat. It seems to be coming down the clutch pedal, and onto the mat. At first i thought it was melted ice of my feet but on inspection it felt greasy. So on looking at my brake fluid reservior it needed topping up. Sounds like it needs a new master cylinder fitted. Is this a big job or can i handle it myself, And do they do a repair kit for them like they used to in my day, or is it a throw away item as most things are nowadays? If its a garage job, how much we looking at as a guide?. Only had the thing for a month and already had to replace the exhaust. By the way its a mark one facelift, 1.8 tdci, on a 05 plate. Any help greatfully recieved.

Shaddow

having done this myself, and theres a number of guys on the forum have also done this, its a fairly straight forward and easy job but allow a couple of hours to do it. it is indeed the clutch master cylinder thats leaking, and a replacement part is the only way. expect to pay around £50+ for the part.

Thanx for info. Might try it the week end, let you know how i get on

only other thing, not absolutely necessary but it can be a nightmare sometimes without it is a pressure bleeding kit.

have you got a haynes manual? to bleed the slave cylinder you need to remove the battery tray and possibly a few other bits (its been a while now)

I have the same problem, £58 for master cylinder on my 04 1600 focus, though to be fair fords price is 80 odd so not too bad.

I'll do discs and pads at same time so only one lot of bleeding to do.

Will look back for any hints !

Thanx for replies, havent got round to it yet. Will locate a haynes manual first to find out about the pressure bleeding bit, manual will come in handy anyway no doubt. Will let you know how i get on. Thanx again Paul.

I've just been reading Haynes manual re Clutch cylinder removal, do I really have to take steering column out ?

nope, but its a great help if you remove the bolt at the bottom of it and push the steering column out the way - this allows better access to the clutch pedal

(dont worry its nothing major - nothing will fall out or anything, its just a bolt that stops the column seperating from the rack as it has a key way. given the purpose of the bolt though, a little threadlock when you refit it would be advisable)

<br />nope, but its a great help if you remove the bolt at the bottom of it and push the steering column out the way - this allows better access to the clutch pedal<br /><br />(dont worry its nothing major - nothing will fall out or anything, its just a bolt that stops the column seperating from the rack as it has a key way. given the purpose of the bolt though, a little threadlock when you refit it would be advisable)<br />
<br /><br /><br />

yeah dont do what someone i know did and forget to refit the bolt drive out the drive and into the neighbours garden wall lol

<br /><br /><br />

yeah dont do what someone i know did and forget to refit the bolt drive out the drive and into the neighbours garden wall lol

lmao, oops!

I would imagine the get it to pop out the steering wheel would need to be adjusted? as my steering wheel sits, it would take quite a bit to seperate the 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Just got round to doing it. Or rather my mate did in his garage. Took just over two and a half hours of fiddling and cussing. But did as Steff123 said and removed the steering columb bolt at the bottom and swung it out of way. Thanx Steff. Was advised to use a genuine part as the cheaper ones dont last The part cost £82.00 from ford, but my mate supplied the new fliud. All i did was help with the bleeding, and making the tea, which was his lol. So i think i owe him a pint. I had a qoute from my indy for £130.00 plus vat, so i was quite happy with what it cost me. Thanx for all your help. Shaddow

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club