Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auxhilary Belt Tensioner Tddi Focus

Cbreddie

Ok heres the problem, when the engine is running there is a VERY LOUD whiring noise coming from something on the auxhilary belt(this results in a neverending Moaning noise from the wife!).

I think its either the idler pulley or tha alternator bearing. But to find out I need to remove the belt. Can anyone explain how to release the belt so I can investigate the aforementioned noise.

The Haynes manual has no pictures of the adjuster but says to release the 3 adjuster screws?? As there isnt much room at the back of the engine I cant find anything that looks like an adjuster.

Any help with this problem will be VERY gratfully received. Pictures are great as I beleive 1 picture is worth 1000 words.

Thanks in advance

Eddie

Ok heres the problem, when the engine is running there is a VERY LOUD whiring noise coming from something on the auxhilary belt(this results in a neverending Moaning noise from the wife!).

I think its either the idler pulley or tha alternator bearing. But to find out I need to remove the belt. Can anyone explain how to release the belt so I can investigate the aforementioned noise.

The Haynes manual has no pictures of the adjuster but says to release the 3 adjuster screws?? As there isnt much room at the back of the engine I cant find anything that looks like an adjuster.

Any help with this problem will be VERY gratfully received. Pictures are great as I beleive 1 picture is worth 1000 words.

Thanks in advance

Eddie

sorry eddie i,m having probs here will try and sort out!!

sorry again eddie but i will now try to paint a picture in less than 1000 words. you have the haynes manual and if you look at the aux drive belt routing diagram it basically shows you where the tensioner is, just below the power steering pump pulley. Its really hard to see, however if you lift off the cooling expansion tank without draining and carefully shift it out of the way you may see it better. the haynes is pretty good at detailing the procedure.

the tensioner is held on by three mounting bolts, but in the centre of the sprocket you will find a bolt head, fit a socket to it and rotate clockwise and you will feel it move, releasing the tension on the belt. beware its a chunky spring inside so dont slip off as you will get knuckle rash :) once you have removed the belt spin the pulley on the tensioner, and also check the idler pulley if you hear any noise then replace them as when under load they will sound even worse. you can also check the alternator but i do hope its not this as theyre probably pricey. i managed to get an after market tensioner for about half the price of the dealers, however i couldnt source an idler pulley so had to get from dealer. i had exactly the same prob as you on my petrol mk 1 and it was these items at fault. access is very lmited so remove the right hand engine mount after you have supported the engine as per manual. it takes about a couple of hours to do. good luck and no i'm not counting the word count :)

ps ensure you correctly route the aux belt on rebuild!!

sorry again eddie but i will now try to paint a picture in less than 1000 words. you have the haynes manual and if you look at the aux drive belt routing diagram it basically shows you where the tensioner is, just below the power steering pump pulley. Its really hard to see, however if you lift off the cooling expansion tank without draining and carefully shift it out of the way you may see it better. the haynes is pretty good at detailing the procedure.

the tensioner is held on by three mounting bolts, but in the centre of the sprocket you will find a bolt head, fit a socket to it and rotate clockwise and you will feel it move, releasing the tension on the belt. beware its a chunky spring inside so dont slip off as you will get knuckle rash :) once you have removed the belt spin the pulley on the tensioner, and also check the idler pulley if you hear any noise then replace them as when under load they will sound even worse. you can also check the alternator but i do hope its not this as theyre probably pricey. i managed to get an after market tensioner for about half the price of the dealers, however i couldnt source an idler pulley so had to get from dealer. i had exactly the same prob as you on my petrol mk 1 and it was these items at fault. access is very lmited so remove the right hand engine mount after you have supported the engine as per manual. it takes about a couple of hours to do. good luck and no i'm not counting the word count :)

ps ensure you correctly route the aux belt on rebuild!!

Many thanks buddy, that all makes perfect sense. I will let you knw how I get on later in the week. Its too dark and too cold, I am too old and my wife moans too much. So I will wait until weekend to do it through the day when its light, warmer, and the wife goes out!! ;)

Many thanks buddy, that all makes perfect sense. I will let you knw how I get on later in the week. Its too dark and too cold, I am too old and my wife moans too much. So I will wait until weekend to do it through the day when its light, warmer, and the wife goes out!! ;)

so when you have sorted it the wifey owes you a chinese takaway and a six pack!

• 1 month later...

so when you have sorted it the wifey owes you a chinese takaway and a six pack!

All sorted now, it was the idler pulley near the alternator causing the problem. Sorted it out with one from eBay for £20. Then I had to change the belt cos it was squealing!!

Many thanks for all the help guys.

now onto the next problem....... well it is a "ford" lol

All sorted now, it was the idler pulley near the alternator causing the problem. Sorted it out with one from ebay for £20. Then I had to change the belt cos it was squealing!!

Many thanks for all the help guys.

now onto the next problem....... well it is a "ford" lol

glad your sorted mines a chow mein :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club