Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gradual Loss Of Mpg

Tony R

Hi, i drive a 07 Focus 1.8 TDCI Ghia and i am averageing around 40mpg under normal driving conditions,however i have a work collegue who has the same size engine in his focus (55 Model) and does the same journey as i do (we car share for work)and his mpg is averaging 50mpg. do i need to have anything looked at? or is it just luck of the draw?....any help would be much appreciated.

note: when i first bought the car last August it was notching up an average of 45/46mpg and is gradually declining...at this rate i'll be lucky if a tank gets me to work which is 13 miles away :lol:

Pop some red x in and give it a blast.....diesels do need a good run out every so often otherwise they can get a bit sooted up. Also fill up with Shell v-power diesel. It can be partly luck of the draw but you should be able to acheive a higher return than 40MPG.

How many miles has it done?

Driving style can greatly affect mpg. So smooth and appropriate gear changes can help reduce consumption. Regularly servicing engine wear and tear items such as spark plugs, ht leads, and cleaning of sensors along with oil changes can also help improve consumption. Have a 4 wheel alignment done and check your tyres for uneven wear, maybe rotating them would help. :)

Pop some red x in and give it a blast.....diesels do need a good run out every so often otherwise they can get a bit sooted up. Also fill up with shell v-power diesel. It can be partly luck of the draw but you should be able to acheive a higher return than 40MPG.

How many miles has it done?

Hi APJ the car has done 34,000 miles, i bought the car last August and the service said it had just been serviced however, i checked the air filter last month and it was filthy so replaced it, have to say tho the car runs pretty good altho sometimes the engine rattles a bit if you dont give it enough throttle when setting off almost to a point of stalling

Fuel and oil filters can make quite a difference...worth checking if the fuel filter was in fact changed when it needed it.

I would, only personally speaking now, highly recommend you dont use redex...from working in a workshop it has created more problems and caused more wear and tear on modern diesels than not using it. If you want to use some a thing, use a fluid made by Forte or carlube...much more professorial. Just my opinion mind, but I would hate for you to have problems with the redex.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORTE-ADVANCED-FORMULA-DIESEL-TREATMENT-400ML_W0QQitemZ370434966559QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=209038613246&rvr_id=209038613246&cguid=4ba18b6d12d0a0aad4140dc4ff60bda8#ht_1378wt_1051

Piggy :)

Fuel and oil filters can make quite a difference...worth checking if the fuel filter was in fact changed when it needed it.

I would, only personally speaking now, highly recommend you dont use redex...from working in a workshop it has created more problems and caused more wear and tear on modern diesels than not using it. If you want to use some a thing, use a fluid made by Forte or carlube...much more professorial. Just my opinion mind, but I would hate for you to have problems with the redex.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORTE-ADVANCED-FORMULA-DIESEL-TREATMENT-400ML_W0QQitemZ370434966559QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=209038613246&rvr_id=209038613246&cguid=4ba18b6d12d0a0aad4140dc4ff60bda8#ht_1378wt_1051

Hi Piggy :-) will take up your advice and not use redex,going to take my car to a local garage and get the fuel and oil filters changed, will post and let you know if theres an improvement.....thanks all for replying

ya local garage may well stock such a cleaner as forte...worth asking.

not sure if you much of a diy mechanic...but the filters (plus oil) are not a huge task...can give you a guide if you wana get ya hands dirty and save yaself a few quid!?

Piggy

sorry Tony i meant Miller's NOT redex! Also have you been driving 'feather footed' for a number of weeks/months in order to raise you're MPG? i did this when i first got my 2.0TDCI Titanium Focus and noticed the MPG drop, i also tried to keep the revs as close as possible to 1000rpm....now you can do this but you need to put ya foot down every now and again. Diesels really do need a good run out at above 2000rpm for 20mins or so quite often. Id do what H3lly said and if all is in order give it a good blast on the motorway (red line it in all gears, not 6th tho cos the cops wont like that). stick some v-power in and see what happens....hold off on the additive until you've tried everything else

sorry Tony i meant Miller's NOT redex! Also have you been driving 'feather footed' for a number of weeks/months in order to raise you're MPG? i did this when i first got my 2.0TDCI Titanium Focus and noticed the MPG drop, i also tried to keep the revs as close as possible to 1000rpm....now you can do this but you need to put ya foot down every now and again. Diesels really do need a good run out at above 2000rpm for 20mins or so quite often. Id do what H3lly said and if all is in order give it a good blast on the motorway (red line it in all gears, not 6th tho cos the cops wont like that). stick some v-power in and see what happens....hold off on the additive until you've tried everything else

Hi APJ, yes i have been driving feather footed :-)...but to give it a blast on the motorway could be a tad awkward as it takes me just over an hour to get there :-)but there are one or two roads on the way to work i could kind of hot foot it...and also....i dont have a 6th. gear :-( I will fill up with V power next time i go to the garage.

ya local garage may well stock such a cleaner as forte...worth asking.

not sure if you much of a diy mechanic...but the filters (plus oil) are not a huge task...can give you a guide if you wana get ya hands dirty and save yaself a few quid!?

Piggy

Hi InstructorPiggy, yes i would appreciate a bit of a guide to do me own minor service :-) Cheers

first thing be best for you is find a local motor factors and get yaself the oil, oil filter and fuel filter. Go with a price in mind from a place like Halfords and then if it sounds expensive from the factors...ask if they can do it any cheaper as they always have a large margin of profit. Worth asking them also for a new sump plug washer/gasket.

Once you got yaself some filters and oil...repost and I or someone else here will I am sure give you a guide no wuzz.

Oh and if they doing an offer of somesort a box of latex or nitrile(stronger) gloves are always worth it!

PS or PM me...as I may miss the repost!