Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Focus 1.6Tdci Rusting!!

Lenny

Hi

My wifes 2009 Zetec S has a patch of rust in the same place. I never really took any notice of it before.

Must clean it up and check it out

Im so glad I came across this thread! I've got the exact same problem on my 08 Focus. I sanded it down with a Dremel and repaired it once. Within a few months it was back :(

I was worried that it was rusting from the inside out. Looks like I will re-do the repair and fit a protection pad over the top. What is most worrying is not knowing what was causing it. My mind is at ease now! lol :)

I have the estate 2008, no rust or rubbing; the estate has a more upright rear door therefore the pipe is a a different angle; it looks like just a problem on the hatchback.

Strange, I've got a 2007 and not a single mark at that point.

hey guys after reading the post i have come across a similar issue on my 2010 zetec s...

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

as you can see from the pictures there is no rust BUT there is a mark where the pipe has been rubbing... looks like iv caught it just on time.

what would be the best way to go about resolving the problem?? Im thinking take it to ford under warranty if that's possible...

I have a 58 plate titanium, i have the same problem, i got the car in december, ive been back at least 8 times for warranty work, as the brakes wear squeeling under braking, they still are not fixed and i just cant be bothered anymore to take it back :(

Here are a couple of pics also :)

img1187f.th.jpg

img1186j.th.jpg

I notice in the above pics there is no scratch plate like in earlier posts?

I checked mine the other week and I have a little scratch plate stuck in place

Thats just what it looks like lol, no plate

whats your build date as mine has a plate and is 2010 build.

Yea I got this aswell on my 08 focus, I just cleaned it up and put a square piece of thick black industrial tape there to stop the worst of the rubbing. :s

• 2 weeks later...

Ford are saying they might not cover mine to repair so i will have to pay for it. I also have a leak when i fill the tank, diesel goes everywhere they also want me to pay a diagnostic charge and pay £8 for a courtesy car, its more of the principle that i dont want to! I have had the 6 less than 6 months and it will be returned 9 times next week when it goes in. And they still have not fixed the original problem. service has been terrible from Ford in Worcester!

just had the car serviced and i mentioned the wearing of paint in the boot section to which they replied they have never seen this problem and they don't have a fix... so i got them to ring the body shop which to some luck the guy said it is common and a touch up would cost ME £50 which he could knock down to £30 for me lol

the car is 2010 plate and has just been in for its second year service which means i have 1 yrs warranty remaining!!

the cant repair under warranty as paintwork is only covered in the first year and they said the cant do it under good will i would need to go to the dealers i bought it from...

so took a trip down to the dealers where the service desk main who i shall call TWIT for this conversation said he had never heard of it and id need to take it to the bodyshop, to which i replied i don't want to pay for and the bodyshop wont do any work until you authorize it... blar blar blar in the end he took me to the salesman who sold me the car who came and had a look.... he then used the touch up paint on the worn mark and gave me a clearcoat pencil the put over the top to protect it... so i now have the two pens for free

DSC_0463.jpg

has anyone got any experience using these touch up pens and how to apply them?? and do we think this will protect the bodywork from any further damage??

Edited by Stoney871
swear words

Quite a thread! From another Estate owner (2005) I Just checked the area in question, and i had the slightest (and i do mean SLIGHTEST) hint of rubbing on the swageline from the rubber pipe. The lacquer coat had been compromised, but the base coat was still intact, and there was no rust. I gave the area a quick rub over with some tar remover, then stuck an inch long peice of body moulding tape over the "rub" to prevent the pipe from touching the panel in the future.

Touch up pens: I'd keep the pens warmish to help prevent brush marks (just above room temp would be ok) Give the pen a DAMN GOOD SHAKE Before applying, load the brush reasonably, and try not to over brush (or you'll see the brush marks) This paint dries QUICK, and is overly thinned... Ensure the basecoat has dried thoroughly, with an eye on applying a skim coat before the lacquer, as coverage can be sketchy at best, and sometimes a thin coat of base only shows up after the lacquer has been applied.

The lacquer is less likely to show brush marks, as it's not thinned as much as the basecoat, and takes longer to dry (thus brush marks have longer to fade)

You can actually "over lacquer" the area a bit with a pen if you so desire, then after a few weeks the area can be blended in to the original surrounding paintwork with a vigorous T-cutting session.

I've gotten pretty handy with touch up pens down the years with stone chips on the leading edge of bonnets and bumpers... The trick is applying the base coat with a tiny wedged piece of masking tape to a very fine point, Then a blob of lacquer, too big to sit flat, but not so big that it runs... Then after a few weeks T-cut the "blob" till it's flat, the repair is almost invisible! B)

cheers for the info mate... just a quick one i noticed on a friends focus, another potential rust area is on the boot door itself. on the left and the right where the boot makes contact with the rubber pads.

i will post pics at a later date, but my car has a thin clear plastic protection strip ( even though they forgot the one for the initial problem in this topic) but my mates one has been rubbed down to bare metal... so check your motors now!!!

I have those patches for the boot rubbers but not the washer pipe but no wear anywhere.

Just thought I'd jump in on this one,,, had my car a week now,2006 1.8tdci titanium hatch, and hey presto, I have a rust patch, currently about half the size of a penny, but in sure if I was to sand it back to clean metal it would be a good deal bigger. Soon as we get some dry weather I'm gettin the big boyz toys out (dremel) and wizzing it back, treating, base coat of touch up pen, then top coat laquour, then cover with something robust enough to fend off the offending object. Grrrrr

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting another thread - just about to run from the office and check my car - 2011 60 plate Focus here, wish me luck!!

"Thankfully" - it has the preventative measure mentioned elsewhere in the thread.

Does seem very "spit and kleenex" to me, but I'd rather have this than the shocking E46 Cooling System woes I suffered in my time as a BMW owner!

Have attached a photo in case anyone needs further evidence when taking their Mk2 in for a repair - definitely admission of a design defect.

post-38877-0-48668000-1354719718_thumb.j

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys, guess what! My Mk2.5 Focus (2008) also has the same issue. Seems I don't have the patch over it so this was obviously added part way through manufacturer of the mk2.5.

Did anyone have any luck with getting Ford to admit it?!

• Like 2

There is a conversation going on about this in the Ford chat i will get you a link James S

Here you go

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/75719-rusty-2010-focus-tailgate/

Still an issue, This is an old thread, but more and more people are falling foul to this issue

Jamie

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club