Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Can I Tell If Have A Dpf Fitted To My Focus?

APJ

Hi Guys,

Probably a stupid question which has a simple answer..............how can i tell for certain if my 2.0TDCI 2005 Focus Saloon Titanium has a DPF?? isnt clear in the owners manual. Im guessing it most probably has?

Version: Series 40

Engine: 2.0L Duratorq-TDCi (136PS) - DW10

Transmission: 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6

Emission: 2000 EEC (EEC 7)

cheers,

apparently its only the 1.8tdci engine that doesnt have a dpf or additive the others in the series do...along with the dreaded DMF!

• Like 1

dam so mine will definatly have one. Nothing wrong with it as yet.....but i know im gona have issues with this at some point. where is the DPF located?

from what i have been told it is connected to the same bit as the cat converted...as in it splits in two, one side has cat other has DPF. but from what i have been told on other sites, you can clean the DPF instead of replacing as they (ford) will just give you a cleaned refurbed one anyways. there is another thread on the focus side of this forum regarding this and has links to guides (for peugeot- but should be similar).

dam so mine will definatly have one. Nothing wrong with it as yet.....but i know im gona have issues with this at some point. where is the DPF located?

I have the 2.0 TDCi Titanium, but mine is an '07 plate. I do not have a DPF on mine, which is a bit of a bonus. I doubt yours would have one either tbh.

One fairly obvious way to check - when you drive along at night and accelerate from around 1500rpm through the 2000rpm area under load/in a fairly high gear, if you see a bit of smoke behind you in following car's headlights, then you probably don't have a DPF.

I have the 2.0 TDCi Titanium, but mine is an '07 plate. I do not have a DPF on mine, which is a bit of a bonus. I doubt yours would have one either tbh.

One fairly obvious way to check - when you drive along at night and accelerate from around 1500rpm through the 2000rpm area under load/in a fairly high gear, if you see a bit of smoke behind you in following car's headlights, then you probably don't have a DPF.

hmmm, how do you know for sure you havnt got one Karlos? JohnH suggested that it was only the 1.8TDCI MK2's that didnt have DPF's fitted. As yet i havnt had a chance to look under my car to see if there is something resembling a DPF around the Cat converter area as its dark when i get up to leave for work and dark when i get home:-( gona have a look at weekend to try and finally work out if i have one! Cant believe its this hard to work out if my car has one fitted. cos its quite a major part. Is there something in the engine bay i can look out for which will indicate wether i have one??

On my way home tonight i will try out your suggestion of accelerating hard between 1500rpm and 2000rpm to see if i can see any noticable smoke. Im praying i havnt got a DPF fitted as they sound like a !Removed! nightmare when they go wrong.

its only what i have been told, so i could be wrong about the 1.8TDCI engine being the only one.

to check to see if you have a DPF would be to take of the catalitic converter and have a look for the filter. to check to see if you have the additive tank, just look under your car at the fuel tank and a smaller tank will be located there filled with eolys fluid or such like. i dont think nothing in the engine bay will point this out.

an easier method, would be to write down your VIN and Reg, phone your local ford dealership and ask them...they will tell you in a matter of minutes if you have one fitted or not. lol

• Like 1

an easier method, would be to write down your VIN and Reg, phone your local ford dealership and ask them...they will tell you in a matter of minutes if you have one fitted or not. lol

Hi John,

I have now emailed Ford as didnt get a chance to phone during my lunch break! hopefully they will reply swiftly. if not will phone em. Will also try and have a look under my car to see if can see eolys fluid tank next to main fuel tank. thanks for all the suggestions guys:-)

no worries...also you can have one and not the other aswell as both...such as you can have a dpf and no additive tank...if that makes sense, so i wouldnt assume you dont have a dpf if you dont see the tank.

hopefully this will be usefull for you.

Do you have to fill up for the additive to be added or can you just put as much as you like in and it will add it?

from what i understand is the car measures how much fuel is in the tank to begin with (before filling), measures how much fuel you have added, calculates how much additive is needed and adds it. it uses minute amount....apparently 1 litre can get you 40k miles (motorway driving as main) or so i am told.

hope that helps you

Will a light come on on my dash if the Eolys needs topping up?

p.s still awating confirmation from Ford as to wether my Focus was fitted with a DPF when it was first built

No Lights I dont believe, unless the system reports a malfunction...

from what i have read on other forums (related to different cars) the engine management light comes on when it is getting low...however do not keep going untill the fluid has totally emptied otherwise you will be buying a new filter. im not too sure on fords tho jee knows his stuff so he could be right.

i know for defo on peugeot units a engine management light and "depollution fault" shows followed by limp home mode!

unfortunately you can top the fluid yourself (if...if you can get hold of the fluid) but you will need the dealer to reset the counter on the ecu.

yeah maybe an error will come up on the display rather than a warning light on the dash. i guess ford didnt think it was worth putting another warning light on the dash for something that only needs changing 2-4 times over the course of the cars entire life

Why make something simple? I suppose the way they would see it, is if you knew why you went in, they would lose £60.00 a time (minimum!)

also found this

Cologne , August 26, 2005 - Ford of Europe is making Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) systems available across the heart of its vehicle portfolio - including retro-fit systems for the majority of diesel-powered Ford vehicles already in customer's hands. New Ford Motorcraft retro-fit systems will be available to suit a wide range of older Ford models.

Ford already offers modern diesel particulate filter (DPF) systems on the new Ford Focus and Focus C-MAX models. A DPF is now standard equipment for Ford's Duratorq 1.6-litre 109 PS TDCi engine, and optional on the 2.0-litre 136 PS variant. These systems rely on the use of a liquid additive to enable diesel particulates to oxidise at relatively low temperatures in the filter.

To satisfy the heavy demand for these DPF-equipped models, particularly in Germany , Ford has increased production as a result of increased availability of DPF systems.

Ford of Europe will also continue to develop advanced DPF systems for its next generation Duratorq TDCi engines with higher torque and power outputs exceeding 110 kW (150 PS).

Indicating a DPF was optional on the 2005 2.0TDCI Ford Focus

Yes and did you also find on the web how much Ford Germany where charging for the retro fit DPF's ? Little money and I mean little money compared to what they charge in RIP OF BRITAIN.

Hey Catch, yeah i am aware of the considerably cheaper DPF's Ford of Germany are using. think somebody mentioned it on this forum recently. Hopefully those prices will filter through to Ford UK soon!

P.S just phoned my local Ford dealer to ask them if my Focus was fitted with a DPF when was built but he said they'd have to have a look at it to tell me for certain.

if it was optional on my type of Focus im praying that its an option that the guy who had the car from new didnt take up! got a horrible feeling it does have a DPF tho as they are pretty common on the MK2 2.0TDCI Focus's. Im having the CAM belt done in a weeks time so gona get the Ford mechanics to look and tell me once and forall if have a b1oody DPF! :-)

I would have thought they could tell you by checking the Vin number, least ways Volvo Vin numbers enabled you to check if the vehicle was fitted with a DPF. And remember Volvo up until the Chinese bought them back in 2010, was a Ford owned company.

• 5 months later...

Interesting reading. I have to say I was totally ignorant about the DFP filter. I went shopping for a petrol model and came back a diesel owner for the first time. I have a 1.8 tdci 06 diesel Zetec and by the sounds of it I don't have one of these fitted?!?

same model and story as mine (petrol to first time diesel) and you dont have a DPF , i just gone past 76k miles and no additive/filter fault and i wont coz there isnt one. i even checked my ford ecat software and it doesnt even have one listed for mine (using VIN).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club