Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Can I Tell If Have A Dpf Fitted To My Focus?

APJ

This is from another forum and applies to the 90 / 110 PS 1.6 TDCi engines, but I guess the code applies to other vehicles too...

You can find it indirectly :

90 bhp is stage 4 without a DPF. 109 bhp is stage3 without a DPF and stage 4 with a DPF..

Now look at the Vehicle cert label/VIN plate (right hand B-pillar) then read down the 8 fields on the left portion of the plate, at very bottom (8 down from top) - this box shows the Exhaust emission level code:

K > Stage V

S > 2000 EEC (Stage III)

V > Stage IV + Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

7 > Stage IV

If you read "7" your car is stage 4 without DPF and it must be 90 bhp.

if you read "V" your car is stage IV with a DPF then it must be 109 bhp.

if you read "S" its stage III, without a DPF and it must be 109 bhp..

• Like 2

If you type your reg into the Ford Etis will that tell you if a DPF was fitted. Mines a 2007 2.0 TDCi and when I emailed a Ford dealer he said that it is listing i have one but he would have to look at it and see to be sure.

Although the Etis says nothing about it and it is very detailed on what was fitted.

Does anyone have a picture of the underneath of their car showing a DPF fitted. i have just looked under mine and all i can see is a long box down the middle of the car and the silencer box before the end pipe.

This is from another forum and applies to the 90 / 110 PS 1.6 TDCi engines, but I guess the code applies to other vehicles too...

You can find it indirectly :

90 bhp is stage 4 without a DPF. 109 bhp is stage3 without a DPF and stage 4 with a DPF..

Now look at the Vehicle cert label/VIN plate (right hand B-pillar) then read down the 8 fields on the left portion of the plate, at very bottom (8 down from top) - this box shows the Exhaust emission level code:

K > Stage V

S > 2000 EEC (Stage III)

V > Stage IV + Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

7 > Stage IV

If you read "7" your car is stage 4 without DPF and it must be 90 bhp.

if you read "V" your car is stage IV with a DPF then it must be 109 bhp.

if you read "S" its stage III, without a DPF and it must be 109 bhp..

Checked on my 2007 2.0 TDCi and I have a "7" and no DPF, so I'm guessing that applies to all engines.

I have a 2.0 TDCi 2007 and i also have a 7 but i have a DPF fitted. My DPF is next to the cat at the front of the car so it doesnt require an additive as it gets hot enough to burn it off.

A fitter at Ford said first i dont have one as he checked the space at the rear where it should be, he then took the undertray off and said i do have one but there are no pipes going into it so it doesnt need an additive.

There appears to be a lot of different kinds of DPF's so if you want to know for sure best to take it to a Ford dealer to have a look.

Not great news for me but better than some as at least i dont have to keep filling up the additive at £200 a go. The fitter said they normally clog up around 80k - 90k but ive only done 30k.

So in summary then, it's as clear as mud! Lol!

• Like 1

You got it.

Ive been reading every forum there is trying to see if i have one. I have a DTUK tuning box and they recommended not going over setting 9 if you have a DPF in case of damage so I wanted to know for sure before i cranked it up. As i dont have an additive one i decided to put it on setting B now and hopefully it will be ok.

Take it to a Ford dealer is the only way your going to know for sure, they can tell you which one you have then, if any, as Ford fitted both types to the Focus. Have an MOT or tyres fitted with them and use the line "while its up in the air can you have a look if i have a DPF". Worked for me.

Like I've probably said before, with the amount of smoke that comes from my exhaust when pressing on, I don't think there's any way I've got a DPF fitted to mine!

• Haha 1

I have a 2.0 TDCi 2007 and i also have a 7 but i have a DPF fitted. My DPF is next to the cat at the front of the car so it doesnt require an additive as it gets hot enough to burn it off.

A fitter at Ford said first i dont have one as he checked the space at the rear where it should be, he then took the undertray off and said i do have one but there are no pipes going into it so it doesnt need an additive.

There appears to be a lot of different kinds of DPF's so if you want to know for sure best to take it to a Ford dealer to have a look.

Not great news for me but better than some as at least i dont have to keep filling up the additive at £200 a go. The fitter said they normally clog up around 80k - 90k but ive only done 30k.

Uhm I have a 1.6 109bhp I have a catalytic converter AND a DPF combined, The Ford fitter may not have a clue, because the ELOYS tank is actually above the diesel tank, also the ELOYS fluid is NOT pumped into the DPF, it bleeds into the main diesel tank everytime you put fuel in.

• 6 years later...

Daft question,  but would the emissions test at MOT determine whether or not you have dpf fitted? Also the cost of your road tax.  My road tax is 155pound per annum,  so can I assume i don't have dpf fitted? (2007 Focus Ghia 2.0L)

2 hours ago, mozz said:

Daft question,  but would the emissions test at MOT determine whether or not you have dpf fitted? Also the cost of your road tax.  My road tax is 155pound per annum,  so can I assume i don't have dpf fitted? (2007 Focus Ghia 2.0L)

Road tax goes on CO2, the DPF doesn't reduce that.  The smoke test can give an idea if it's very low but will be easier to just look at the engine bay and see if you have a pressure sensor.  Or look at the tail pipe and see if it's clean or covered in soot.  Unless you've owned the car from new, it's also possible the DPF could have been removed on a car of that age.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2018 at 9:02 AM, TomsFocus said:

Road tax goes on CO2, the DPF doesn't reduce that.  The smoke test can give an idea if it's very low but will be easier to just look at the engine bay and see if you have a pressure sensor.  Or look at the tail pipe and see if it's clean or covered in soot.  Unless you've owned the car from new, it's also possible the DPF could have been removed on a car of that age.

I ran my finger around the tail pipe and would say it is sooty, as this is my first deisel car i don't know if this is normal or not,  also where would i find the pressure sensor,  as under bonnet is covered in housings.

15313253585511566462546.jpg

The pressure sensor is usually attached to the side of the battery box.  You don't have one in that pic.

Sooty tail pipe is normal for a non-DPF diesel.  With a DPF the tail pipe stays (reasonably) clean.

Going on the above info I'd say you don't have a DPF on your car. :smile:

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The pressure sensor is usually attached to the side of the battery box.  You don't have one in that pic.

Sooty tail pipe is normal for a non-DPF diesel.  With a DPF the tail pipe stays (reasonably) clean.

Going on the above info I'd say you don't have a DPF on your car. :smile:

That's a relief, a friend also said that if it did have dpf the tax would be around 30quid and not the 155quid that I currently pay, cheers Tom.

No worries.  Your friend is wrong about the tax though, the DPF makes no difference to tax as it's based on CO2, the DPF just reduces particulate matter.  It's only the 1.6 diesel that gets £30 tax with the mk2 Focus...even in the mk3 pre-facelift Focus the 2.0TDCi isn't £30.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2010 2.0 TDCI Zetec S. Loads of smoke coming out the end when I put my foot down to get up hill, has a custom rear exhaust. Will it have a DPF and what can I do to stop the smoke? 

Thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, whitezetecs said:

I have a 2010 2.0 TDCI Zetec S. Loads of smoke coming out the end when I put my foot down to get up hill, has a custom rear exhaust. Will it have a DPF and what can I do to stop the smoke? 

Thanks in advance. 

It would've had a DPF from the factory, but it might have been removed or gutted when the custom exhaust was fitted, only way to tell is to physically have a look underneath.

As for the smoke, check all the boost pipes for leaks, black smoke under load is usually caused by a boost leak.

• Thanks 1

Thanks in advance. 

So it turns out I don't have a DPF, I have a CAT. Also the smoke was a split boost pipe! Thank you for all your help. 

• 7 months later...

I have same problem. heavy smoke when accelerating, And whistling turbo