Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Running On Empty

kappa

Hi

I have a '59 Focus 1.8 TDCI, which said yesterday that I had 200 miles left on it (I do about 100 miles per day), today that was nearer 70 miles (30 less that I'd expect), this afternoon on the way home I expected it to say I had 50 miles left, but it said 37 miles, but I managed to drive 53 miles.

So despite the trip comp saying I had 0 miles left on my car I still managed to drive another 16 miles.

So my question is, approximately how far can a Focus 1.8 TDCI travel on 'empty', given I know it can go 16 miles but how much further? My old 206 once travelled 38 miles on 'empty' once.

i have read its 50 miles (depending on driving style) as soon as the light comes on...i have also been told to never let diesels and this type of engine to run out of diesel as it can cause some problems

Hi .

I have a 2002 1.6l. My car is a little old so I dont have a digital readout just a fuel gauge. So when my low fuel light comes on how many miles can i get before the fuel has ran out.

xev

How much fuel did you put in when you filled up? Assuming you brimmed it the best you could, subtract the amount you put in from the tank capacity and you've got yourself an estimate of how much fuel you've got left. If it's plenty you know you can push it a little further if you want to.

In my '04 TDDI if I fill up when the light comes on I can only get 43 litres max in it's 55 litre tank - so I should be able to do over 100 miles with the light on (haven't pushed it anywhere near that yet thought - being careful as it's a diesel). In previous petrol cars I've never run out but have taken it to the point where once in a while I've really brimmed it after pushing it and got more in than the quoted tank capacity.

1) Its all about driving style, gentle driving gives you more miles!

For example, I can top the car to the brim of the neck, and the car estimed 470 miles, with gentle driving, approximately 65 mph, keeping the revs below 2000 as much as possible (on a 1.6TDCI) I got 580 miles out the tank, and I rolled onto the forecourt after doing 63 miles on the warning light. Because of Diesel, you cant just pour more in the tank after the car has ran out completely and start again (like you can on petrol) so its not worth risking it.

2) Do some Maths! When you top your tank up, how many litres do you put in? the tank is quoted 55, if you only top up 47/48 then you still had 7 litres to play with.

A bit of maths...

Run your tank to as close to dry as possible. you fill up with 52 (of your 55 litre tank)

First work out how many gallons you put in...

1Litre = 0.219969 Gallons

0.219969 * 53 Litres = 11.65 Gallons

You travel 470 miles so to work out MPG you divide your miles by your gallons...

470 / 11.65 = 40.34 MPG!

So now (hopefully this will work!) Convert the remaining 3 litres of fuel to gallons...

0.219969 * 3Litres = 0.65 Gallons

Now, times your MPG by the remaining gallons...

0.65 * 40.34 = 26.221 Miles (theoretically!)

Anyone and Everyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

1) Its all about driving style, gentle driving gives you more miles!

For example, I can top the car to the brim of the neck, and the car estimed 470 miles, with gentle driving, approximately 65 mph, keeping the revs below 2000 as much as possible (on a 1.6TDCI) I got 580 miles out the tank, and I rolled onto the forecourt after doing 63 miles on the warning light. Because of Diesel, you cant just pour more in the tank after the car has ran out completely and start again (like you can on petrol) so its not worth risking it.

2) Do some Maths! When you top your tank up, how many litres do you put in? the tank is quoted 55, if you only top up 47/48 then you still had 7 litres to play with.

A bit of maths...

Run your tank to as close to dry as possible. you fill up with 52 (of your 55 litre tank)

First work out how many gallons you put in...

1Litre = 0.219969 Gallons

0.219969 * 53 Litres = 11.65 Gallons

You travel 470 miles so to work out MPG you divide your miles by your gallons...

470 / 11.65 = 40.34 MPG!

So now (hopefully this will work!) Convert the remaining 3 litres of fuel to gallons...

0.219969 * 3Litres = 0.65 Gallons

Now, times your MPG by the remaining gallons...

0.65 * 40.34 = 26.221 Miles (theoretically!)

Anyone and Everyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

or use this and it calculates it for you http://www.which.co....uel-calculator/

Very true indeed its all down to preference!

very true though ive noticed the which calculator gives a different reading from some of the others by around 2mpg all i can say is never let it get that low all the time youll block the filter and knacker the pump and its a pain in the rear getting a totally dry diesel restarted to get the air out

Yeah the other thing is most calculators dont tell you how far you can go they just tell you the MPG, thats where my maths comes in as it can tell you how much further you can go!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club