Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Aa/rac Membership

Magenta

Can't believe this hasn't been aired before but can't find it so here goes !

Got my AA renewal yesterday. Letter was dated 1st Feb, received it 16th Feb. They want £208 and I paid £49.50 last year for the same cover. Renewal date is 5th March and the cheeky letter says 'welcome to another year of AA membership', I suspect the late receipt of the letter is a ploy to give me less time to cancel. As I pay by a 'recurring one-off payment' and not monthly direct debit it is not so easy to cancel as they are well aware. A cancellation letter (recorded delivery) is already on its way asking them to remove my credit/debit card details from their records (I think it is unlikely they will do this). I am aware that they all do an introductory price but four times as much to renew ? My initial 12 months was part of the Ford warranty of course and I renewed last year as it was a good deal.

Time to join Green Flag I think for £51.40 for top cover. To anyone joining AA/RAC etc , especially at one of the supermarket/shopping mall reps I would say the second question to ask (the first being how much is it) should be "How much will it be next year ?" .

I've experienced both AA and RAC recovery over the last almost 50 years of driving and to be fair to the blokes on the road, they have both been pretty good as far as repair/recovery is concerned. Anyone have experience of Green Flag ?

i have been with the rac for over 25 years and every year they try to increese the membership fee, and every year i phone them up tell them i am leaving and every time they have priced matched any other service to keep me as a member. i think they try it on to people who renew without checking.

We have RAC Full cover as part of the Insurance deal We got on My Wifes Focus. Aviva own the RAC. It cost only an extra 35 quid on top of an allready extremely competitive policy price.. I used the cover last Year as a Vectra I was driving broke down on the Motorway at Penrith Cumbria. The RAC relayed Me and the car all the way down to Worcester in the Midlands and even offered a loan car !!!

First time Ive ever used the cover but its invaluable when things go wrong !! Shop around.......

I am insured through Fordinsure with Royal Sun Alliance which I have just renewed. I did ask them about the breakdown cover option and it would be about £70 extra which is reasonable but bit of an unknown. I will probably go with RAC or Green Flag depending if and when I get a response from the AA to my cancellation. I keep thinking about their £208 renewal figure - I probably won't go back to them simply because of their cheek ! Bearing in mind I have vehicle cover,not personal and it is almost new, they're taking the p***.

Just cancel and then sign up again via TopCashBack and get a years cover for around £7 as you'll get £20 cash back.

Thats what I did last year, luckily i have a years free Ford Roadside Assistance with my new Fiesta, but I'll be doing it next year again.

Just cancel and then sign up again via TopCashBack and get a years cover for around £7 as you'll get £20 cash back.

Thats what I did last year, luckily i have a years free Ford Roadside Assistance with my new Fiesta, but I'll be doing it next year again.

Never heard of TopCashBack - I'll have a look, sounds promising. I did think of rejoining the AA as a new member at discount rates but wasn't sure if I could get away with it. So much for loyalty that the AA rant on about in my (" £208 ") renewal letter.

That's how I started with a years cover with my new car and then they offered me a good deal to renew - but that was last year !

TopCashBack is brilliant! Gives cash back on nearly every website out there! I signed up in Sept and have got over £70 cash paid back to me! If you're going to sign up please do via this link TopCashBack :)

I received my AA renewal notice Yesterday, dated the 6th February. They wanted £244, so I phoned and cancelled it straight away. I didn't bother arguing the toss, I just said Ive got cover linked to my insurance.

How on earth do they expect to keep business with prices like that?

How on earth do they expect to keep business with prices like that?

My point exactly. Over quadruple renewal fee in such a competitive market ? Bearing in mind that this is the insurance market, my car insurance renewal was quite reasonable with only about 10% increase on last year.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club