Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Self Fitting Rear Parking Sensors

archie2000

How easy is it to self fit rear parking sensors to a mk4 Mondeo?

I have seen various kits available on the internet, and they don't look too complicated, and the saving in cost if I fit them myself is pretty good.

Also, can anyone recommend any particular ones please?

Very easy hardest part was locating the wire to reverse lights I put a post up last year

Great stuff, thanks for responding. I'll locate your previous post.

Cheers

Archie

These ones are the ones i got they come in various colours and include a drill bit. Look at your rear bumper and under it is a plastic strip this is where ford mount these and these fit a treat. Look behind and you will see the spaces where they go. Drill there and use washing up liquid when you fit sensors. On the left hand side of the boot remove the panel to access the light wireing/fuse box. look for a brown/green wire you will need to splice onto this for your live feed to sensors, connect the earth to a suitable point. I fed the sensor wires through the grommet at the bottom of the spare wheel well(didn't want to drill metalwork yet) used duct tape to protect wires plus some old carpet. Connect the wires to control unit and then i put the speaker under the plastic parcel shelf supports about 5 inches from the rear seats. took about 1 hour start to finish. They work a treat and for £14.99 compared to frauds prices.

FYI i chose the matt black, I also fitted a switch to them so I have the option to turn them off if I want to!

ebay

Ive got the same plastic strip on the rear of the Focus. While I was fitting the reversing sensors I also fitted a camera to it.

To think Ford want £200 for these when you can by them for between £10 and £20.

Thats any main dealer for you! Fitted ambient light in the week, cost under £6, ford price quoted today was £88, plus they were not sure if it is possible!!!!!

Pic of sensorspsens.jpg

Brill, thanks for your input guys. I picked up my 59 plate Titanium earlier tonight ( :D whoop whoop) so I will order them this week and fit next weekend.

Cheers

Archie

Hi Thunderguts,

I have located the brown/green wire (well, it is more green with a brown stripe) in the bottom left hand corner of the boot. This is connected to the fuse box.

I am a bit confused however, as in an earlier post, you say that it is best to make the connection at the top where the rubber hose connects to the tailgate.

Which is best?

Cheers

archie

*Edit*

Sussed it now, it's not the wire by the fusebox. That is a bigger gauge wire than the one in the tailgate, so not the same one.

I actually managed to get a connection behind the side shelf panel at the top of the boot so no need to feed the cable down the rear pillar. Biggest problem was getting a decent earth connection, but managed that eventually.

When I did mine I was not sure where the wires ran when they entered the boot! Otherwise I'd of connected to the same one you have. But job done they work so can't be bad as for earth I managed to find a screw that had a good earth had a c connector so losened the screw and job done!

• 1 year later...

Can someone please provide photos of the installation? I am desperate to get mine fitted.

I also want to know the safest/tidiest way to connect this system to the reverse light cable please!

• 1 year later...

These ones are the ones i got they come in various colours and include a drill bit. Look at your rear bumper and under it is a plastic strip this is where ford mount these and these fit a treat. Look behind and you will see the spaces where they go. Drill there and use washing up liquid when you fit sensors. On the left hand side of the boot remove the panel to access the light wireing/fuse box. look for a brown/green wire you will need to splice onto this for your live feed to sensors, connect the earth to a suitable point. I fed the sensor wires through the grommet at the bottom of the spare wheel well(didn't want to drill metalwork yet) used duct tape to protect wires plus some old carpet. Connect the wires to control unit and then i put the speaker under the plastic parcel shelf supports about 5 inches from the rear seats. took about 1 hour start to finish. They work a treat and for £14.99 compared to frauds prices.

FYI i chose the matt black, I also fitted a switch to them so I have the option to turn them off if I want to!

ebay

Thunderguts, Thank you for a great post. I don't want to sound like an idiot, but what is the washing up liquid for? Thanks.

Hi Lee,

I suspect it will probably be just as a lubricant?

• 1 year later...

ebay

I had reverse sensors fitted to my last Mondeo by Jennings ford they also fitted a towbar at the same time, and at that time they mentioned they had to fit the reverse sensors at a higher position in the Bumper than ford usually fitted as they would interfere with the towbar sending out wrong signals . This they did and I hadn't any issues with false signals at all . I hope this Helps anyone who Decides to fit Sensors with a Towbar

post-66324-0-57341600-1433931271_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club