Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben... - Panther Black Mk7 Zetec S Tdci

Ben...

Replaced my glovebox light to look more standard rather than the LED strip I had before

Would have put it on the left hand side ideally but didn't want to deface the fuse diagram on the rear of the glovebox

e50d3d02.jpg

a1a5face.jpg

bc015351.jpg

looking Ben.

im still debating wethere or not to go with H.I.D.

how easy were they to fit and how long did it tack.

looking Ben.

im still debating wethere or not to go with H.I.D.

how easy were they to fit and how long did it tack.

Sorry to cut in the thread Ben.

Rob, they're simple to fit. Even easier on the Fez than most cars due to the rubber cover on the rear of the headlights. I wouldn't expect you to take more than half an hour if you don't know what you're doing..... 15 mins tops if you're a bit more experienced.

I went and bought Mercedes bulb holders, so I could keep my originals uncut.... but really makes no real odds.

How come the bulb retainers have to be cut Danny?

Looking good btw Ben ;)

The wiring has to go through the hole in the middle. The difference between standard bulbs and HID is the bulb is fixed to the wiring, right along to some connectors.... Neither the bulb at one end, or the connectors at the other fit through the the hole in the clip.

So you gotta cut the side of it so you can slide the wiring into the clip and fit.

I never knew this when I bought the Fez originally. I still had the Focus sat there with hids, tried to move em over to Fez the day the Focus was being sold, eventually had to give them away with focus coz I didn't think about cutting the clip lol.

Just went and bought more.

Danny

Ben, quick question tho. I've seen people putting the slimline ballasts inside the light units, but how have you fixed em in? Or are they just sat in there?

Plus, do you get any radio interference when they're warming up?

That's £7.36 (delivered) for something that can be picked up from your local Ford dealer for £5.86 though,

Purchased and fitted these Mist Type Jets, arrived in the Post Yesterday,

Ive done a fitting Guide for anyone interested Click Here B)

Ben, quick question tho. I've seen people putting the slimline ballasts inside the light units, but how have you fixed em in? Or are they just sat in there?

Plus, do you get any radio interference when they're warming up?

Cheers Rob & Darrell

No worries Danny, you explained it better than I could!

Took me about an hour and a half to fit the HIDs, this is because I wired them all up and they didn't come on and also mounting them was time consuming

When connecting the HIDs (2 spade connectors) to the original loom, I fitted red in to red and black in to black, this isn't the case though, on the light loom there is a red and a black wire going to one side and just a black wire going to the other

I presumed that the side with the red wire as well would be positive

Got the multimeter out and it turned out the side with just the black wire was positive

So that was sorted and they were working, then it was a case of fitting the ballast and the other little box attached to it inside the light unit

After trying lots of methods of fitting it in, I ended up putting the ballast and other little box up through the hole where you access the full beam and indicator and they fit securely in there and i used velcro pads to fix it in place.

I then fed the wires through the dipped beam access hole and connected them up, this meant everything was inside neatly and securely and the grommet fit on nicely.

I did notice the radio was a bit fuzzy when I first set off this morning, I'll double check tomorrow.

Loving all the interior lights, looks a lot more subtle than the red LEDs.

And the glovebox actualy looks factory fitted.

Good work love checking this post every time its updated.

Tom

• Like 1

:) looking good ben glade you went with white.

how good are they in the night by the way.

what colour did you paint your wheals again as i forgot lol. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Loving all the interior lights, looks a lot more subtle than the red LEDs.

And the glovebox actualy looks factory fitted.

Good work love checking this post every time its updated.

Tom

Thanks Tom, that's my aim with all my mods to be honest.

The reason I was unhappy with the original LED strips was because they didn't look standard.. Have removed the red bulb form the interior light also

:) looking good ben glade you went with white.

how good are they in the night by the way.

what colour did you paint your wheals again as i forgot lol. :ph34r:

Cheers Rob. They are fairly bright, i have gone with the original bulbs that come in them rather than buy white LEDs because I think I prefer them

Wheels were powdercoated so don't have a code, but they are gun metal/anthracite

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, that's my aim with all my mods to be honest.

The reason I was unhappy with the original LED strips was because they didn't look standard.. Have removed the red bulb form the interior light also

Cheers Rob. They are fairly bright, i have gone with the original bulbs that come in them rather than buy white LEDs because I think I prefer them

Wheels were powdercoated so don't have a code, but they are gun metal/anthracite

chears ben, everything looks good. :)

• Like 1

Looks beautiful ben

love the HID's man, and the new footwell light units, also nice job on the glovebox light, my wife's glove box in her almera doesnt have a light in it so thanks to your idea, im going to change that very soon,

where did you purchase the switch for the glovebox light??

B)

Also Ben, can I just ask where you routed wires from for all these lights? (footwell, glovebox, bootlight)

Would I be right in assuming there's 2 sets of + and - from interior light... one going to right footwell, and the other set going to left glovebox, then continuing from there to left footwell... and secondary bootlight piggybacking from first bootlight?

Reason I ask, if I will be doing something similar soon and your knowledge will help.

thanks Ben

Danny

Looks beautiful ben

love the HID's man, and the new footwell light units, also nice job on the glovebox light, my wife's glove box in her almera doesnt have a light in it so thanks to your idea, im going to change that very soon,

where did you purchase the switch for the glovebox light??

B)

Thanks Lenny,

You need a 'push to break' switch, this is the one I bought I think Link

Also Ben, can I just ask where you routed wires from for all these lights? (footwell, glovebox, bootlight)

Would I be right in assuming there's 2 sets of + and - from interior light... one going to right footwell, and the other set going to left glovebox, then continuing from there to left footwell... and secondary bootlight piggybacking from first bootlight?

Reason I ask, if I will be doing something similar soon and your knowledge will help.

thanks Ben

Danny

To make the footwell lights function the same as the interior light, you need to take both the +ve and -ve from the interior light rather than taking the earth from elsewhere.

I did all this when the roof lining was out to be flocked which made it easier, but it is still possible without removing it

There are 4 sets of +ve and -ve wires;

1 set to left footwell via A pillar and down the side of the dash, behind the dash and down to the kick panel.

Vice versa on the other side

1 set to the left rear footwell via B pillar and down behind the rear interior panel

Vice versa on the other side

Then the glove box light is taken from the 12v socket as this is on a permanent live and then just earthed to an earthing bolt nearby

Ah right. Didn't realise you done rear footwells too.

So how exactly did you connect 4 + and 4 - to your interior light? You use a cool wee connection?

Looks cracking that mate. I reckon that suede roof wil look canny in person. I like what you'v done with it.

Had any problems with spraying the exterior plastics I.e cracking, peeling?

And does anyone know any good threads to show a 'how to' for spraying the exterior plastics?

Cheers guys, Dan :D

People have done exterior spraying with rattle cans DIY style but not too sure there's a good guide as majority of people get it done by a professional or use the proper equipment (like Ben).

• Like 1

People have done exterior spraying with rattle cans DIY style but not too sure there's a good guide as majority of people get it done by a professional or use the proper equipment (like Ben).

Better results, getting the professional job done, i had a ST spoiler sprayed for £50 which didnt cost the earth and im sure the same ammount of paint would be required to cover all your plastic parts, so its not bad price.B)

Ah right. Didn't realise you done rear footwells too.

So how exactly did you connect 4 + and 4 - to your interior light? You use a cool wee connection?

I connected the 2 +ve and 2 -ve wires on each side together. Then connected each side together in the middle. So just has one +ve and one -ve going to the interior light.. Good old fashion soldering and heatshrink.

Yer rear footwell lights in too. Will probably post a picture up later or tomorrow

Oh and boot light is taken off the other one and then run under the seal

Looks cracking that mate. I reckon that suede roof wil look canny in person. I like what you'v done with it.

Had any problems with spraying the exterior plastics I.e cracking, peeling?

And does anyone know any good threads to show a 'how to' for spraying the exterior plastics?

Cheers guys, Dan :D

Thanks Dan!

No problems at all with the paint cracking or peeling. Because as ONETrueSaturday said, I did it using all professional equipment and paints etc.

I'd recommend getting it done professionally and getting them to properly flat down the plastics (build up thickness with primer) so you remove the original texture of them

Finished the footwell lighting, rears are in with bulbs now

d1fd52f2.jpg

The car's pretty much compete!

Everything I wanted to do is now done

All that's left is a remap at RSTuning, maybe Jan/Feb 2012

And a couple of maybes;

Zetec S Leathers with red stitching

Cruise Control out the Titanium is anyone manages to get it retrofitted

Finished the footwell lighting, rears are in with bulbs now

The car's pretty much compete!

Everything I wanted to do is now done

All that's left is a remap at RSTuning, maybe Jan/Feb 2012

And a couple of maybes;

Zetec S Leathers with red stitching

Cruise Control out the Titanium is anyone manages to get it retrofitted

Love the rear light Ben, look really good,B)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club