Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Hesition/misfire On Motorway

focus87

Hi, new to the site today. I have a problem with my 3 year old 1.6 duratec focus zetec with 35,000 miles on the clock. When i am on the motorway I will be cruising along at a steady 65mph and radomly feel the engine miss a beat/hesitate. This happens for a second and no warning lights. It only happens at 60-65 mph (around 3000 rpm). I use the motorway twice a day to commute to work, 14 miles each way. It has happend around 3 times in the past 4 months. Car is fine when accelerating and above/below this speed. On my last service with Ford in august they changed the spark plugs and this did seem to help but problem has returned.

Hope someone can throw some suggestions. Thanks, Steve

Last thing I heard similar to this was a colleagues VWPolo, they changed the plugs and the coil packs and that pleased the car greatly :)

if this is a diesel your approaching the 37.5k service...you might need to change your fuel filter...this can, from personal experiance, cause random faults that get worse and worse. it only costs £10 for a new filter.

Just to update, the car is petrol. I was thinking the fuel filter and also heard about HT leads and coil packs although would these really need replacing at this age and mileage? Car idles fine, isnt using excessive fuel and is fine under heavey acceleration and normal acceleration around town. Thanks for the quick replys guys

My friends VW was 3.5 years old, and only 40000 on the clock so its not too uncommon unfortunately...

My friends VW was 3.5 years old, and only 40000 on the clock so its not too uncommon unfortunately...

coil pack here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COIL-PACK-IGNITION-Focus-Mondeo-fiesta-OE-FORD-not-COPY-/390059606434?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ad15d41a2

easy to change youreself and the leads are only from ford 68 quid for 4 unfortunately but the cheap ones cause misfires and uneven idling and wreck coil packs if replacing the plugs the gap is only 1.0mm not 1.3mm ford altered it aftrer it caused coil pack issues including quick failures

Thanks for the info guys, car is in tommorrow and ill bring up those to potential items. At what intervals are the fluids chaged? Power steering, coolant, brake fluid.

Thanks for the info guys, car is in tommorrow and ill bring up those to potential items. At what intervals are the fluids chaged? Power steering, coolant, brake fluid.

brake fluid 2 years power steering 2 years coolant 10 years if orange

My dealership mentioned the brake fluid at 2 years but never mentiond the power steering fluid? also what about the gearbox oil?

• 2 weeks later...

Had the 06 Focus 1.6 Petrol, had the same hesitation / missfire @ 60 mph, turned out to be the coil pack. Used to blow the near side headlight all the time as well.

Had the replacement replaced twice more "never heard of them breaking down like that sir and being replaced again!" yeah right!!

Chopped it in for a Fiesta Diesel with the number of miles i do a year.

more than likely a fault causing that fault if the coilpacks kept going. i went through 2 on my peugeot as the timing belt had jumped a few teeth.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club