Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ridiculous Insurance Quotes..

Kris Eagling

All good tips as long as they are genuine. I wouldn't recommend saying anything that isn't true. Apart from the insurers refusing to pay out if, for example, your car is damaged or stolen outside your house and not in a locked garage, you could invalidate your insurance altogether if you give false information.

Indeed, I have absolutely no intention of telling fibs! I know at least two people who have had claims refused because of false information and I also had to fight years ago when I had a claim, because I said I had use of no other vehicles. I did *own* another vehicle and they argued I had given false information. When I told them that it hadn't moved for six months because there was no gearbox in it, they sent an assessor and I had to prove that although I owned it, I didn't have use of it!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magenta

• KeithC

• calmcdermott

• PumpkinSteve

My son's insurance renewal notice has just arrived and it is 50% higher than the last time. Ok he has made one claim in the last year (two in the last five years, broadside collision and rear-end shunt) but neither were his fault and were recovered from the other driver's insurers. Also he allegedly has "ncd protection" Best quote was £605 from some firm called Octagon and the highest was £3,341 (no, that's not a misprint !). I will recommend that he stays with Swiftcover as they want £639 to renew. Seems a good deal to me after all. They have been pretty good handling claims and it is all done on-line so you can track view your policy and track you claim. On our experience, I can recommend Swiftcover (part of AXA I believe).

I'm 25 with 3 years ncd and my insurance is about £600-640. Seems pretty reasonable.

I'm 25 with 3 years ncd and my insurance is about £600-640. Seems pretty reasonable.

That does sound very reasonable. What area are you in and who is it with ?

I find that getting quotes on line can be a bit tedious, especially when you have to fill in claims details in the last five years etc. and with more than one driver. We all know that insurers share details on a common database so unless it is a first time policy, why can't they just ask for your current insurers and all claims history and everything else would be automatically picked up. I would not,of course, tell them what I was currently paying as this just leads to a 'dutch auction' situation.

Any changes you require could be entered where necessary. Anyone work in the car insurance industry that has any comments ? They might say it can't be done for data protection rules but if companies have access to this information anyway, that doesn't hold true.

If you use a comparison site you only have to enter your details once and the information is saved for the following year with you just updating where necessary. Of all the comparison sites, confused.com always gives me the best quotes compared to what my renewal states.

My son's insurance renewal notice has just arrived and it is 50% higher than the last time. Ok he has made one claim in the last year (two in the last five years, broadside collision and rear-end shunt) but neither were his fault and were recovered from the other driver's insurers. Also he allegedly has "ncd protection" Best quote was £605 from some firm called Octagon and the highest was £3,341 (no, that's not a misprint !). I will recommend that he stays with Swiftcover as they want £639 to renew. Seems a good deal to me after all. They have been pretty good handling claims and it is all done on-line so you can track view your policy and track you claim. On our experience, I can recommend Swiftcover (part of AXA I believe).

Similar to your son, my recent renewal quote was also around 50% more expensive than the previous years. (I'm 21 with a clean driving history + pass plus on brand new 1.4 auto titanium fiesta, 3/4 yrs ncb)

After using 3 different price comparison sites I managed to save £600! (Renewal quote was £1200).

Funny thing was was the £600 quote was with a sister company of my current insurer. So I rang mine up and they matched it.

So after 10 minutes online I basically rang my insurer and got 50% knocked off, or got it back down to the previous years price depending on how you look at it.

As far as I can tell theres too many personal things that alter the price of car insurance for someone to say I recommend so & so for the cheapest deal - e.g. your post code, your car, driving history, mileage, ncb, car use, age, etc etc.

The only way to find the best deal for you personally is to use the price comparison sites.

And use a few comparison sites too - I often find a difference between one sites 'cheapest quote' to another sites 'cheapest quote'.

In the future try the likes of -

http://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance

http://www.tescocompare.com/car.shtml

Paul :)

If you use a comparison site you only have to enter your details once and the information is saved for the following year with you just updating where necessary. Of all the comparison sites, confused.com always gives me the best quotes compared to what my renewal states.

I have found that your old quotes have expired by the time you want to renew and you have to start all over again !

That does sound very reasonable. What area are you in and who is it with ?

I'm actually with Ford Insure and live in cheltenham, which, from a quick google, is grade A area.

It's parked in a garage and about 9000 mikes per year.

I'm actually with Ford Insure and live in cheltenham, which, from a quick google, is grade A area.

It's parked in a garage and about 9000 mikes per year.

I'm with Ford Insure too, I think they are just brokers/agents. My policy is with Royal Sun Alliance, I'm in a grade B area.

I have found that your old quotes have expired by the time you want to renew and you have to start all over again !

That's because the quotes they give you expire after approx 30 days. All you need to do is edit the quote and all your details will still be there, you'll just need to alter a few things like the date you would like the cover to start and any changes to your policy.

I'm with Ford Insure too, I think they are just brokers/agents. My policy is with Royal Sun Alliance, I'm in a grade B area.

Yeah, Royal Sun Alliance is what mine is with too. What's the lowest price for a 25 year old mail these days?

Yeah, Royal Sun Alliance is what mine is with too. What's the lowest price for a 25 year old mail these days?

I couldn't say as I am considerably older than that ! My last renewal premium with RSA was £316.

Just got a quote on mine for £580, I'm 25 with 5 years NCB and the car is kept on a public road. I think it's a reasonable quote.

Quoting myself here. I just went had a quote for £475 from AXA but it didn't have NCB protection, then I went through Meerkat and AXA were top again but this offering NCB protection for £511 so I think I'll go for that one.

Quoting myself here. I just went had a quote for £475 from AXA but it didn't have NCB protection, then I went through Meerkat and AXA were top again but this offering NCB protection for £511 so I think I'll go for that one.

That sounds pretty good. My son's cover through Swiftcover is actually underwritten by AXA. He is 33, zone B area, 5yrs NCD (protected) and includes courtesy car. Renewal is £639. Does this indicate that the difference is Swiftcover's cut ?

That sounds pretty good. My son's cover through Swiftcover is actually underwritten by AXA. He is 33, zone B area, 5yrs NCD (protected) and includes courtesy car. Renewal is £639. Does this indicate that the difference is Swiftcover's cut ?

I have no idea how it works, at times I've found it more expensive going directly to the company than it is going via someone else and having it underwritten by the original company instead, they just make it up as they go along.

I just got my renewal with my current provider, Chris Knott. I am currently paying £650... the renewal quote is £900 along with a letter that says something along the lines of "please understand that providing insurance for you presents a risk for us", somehow this year appears to pose a greater risk than last year when I had 1 years less NCB and a faster car.

If there are 2 or more cars in your household look into Admiral's Multi Car Policy.

Me and my missus saved at least a couple of hundred quid doing it this way and you both still get no claims

If there are 2 or more cars in your household look into Admiral's Multi Car Policy.

Me and my missus saved at least a couple of hundred quid doing it this way and you both still get no claims

Definately worth a look, but worked out a couple of hundred dearer than insuring both our cars through Liverpool Victoria.

It's a !Removed! lottery these days, age and postcode are real killers.

I am totally shocked at some of those quotes. I moaned about having to pay £243 to renew last December. I am dreading it this year.

I am totally shocked at some of those quotes. I moaned about having to pay £243 to renew last December. I am dreading it this year.

Saga will probably be able to get you a good deal. ;)

Definately worth a look, but worked out a couple of hundred dearer than insuring both our cars through Liverpool Victoria.

It's a !Removed! lottery these days, age and postcode are real killers.

Wow really.

Im suprised mine is so low with the area i live in. Right next to Wythenshawe on the outskirts of Manchester which used to have the largest council house estate in europe.Only 2 miles from Moss Side and all the crappy areas around it.

Saga will probably be able to get you a good deal. ;)

Cheers for that, in my forties, full no claims, clean licence (just) with PSV and HGV, living on the south coast.

So no need for Saga just yet (Maybe next month)

Keith

I am well into the Saga age group and did get a quote from them once (not the last time though) and they were quite high. I continually get junk mail from them reminding me of their insurance business.

Wow really.

Yep, they (Liverpool Victoria) do offer discount for more than one car insured with them but the policies run independently. Was recommended to give Admiral ago a few years ago after someone at work used them for both of his cars, but just didn't work out for me. It's a lottery.

Cheers for that, in my forties, full no claims, clean licence (just) with PSV and HGV, living on the south coast.

So no need for Saga just yet (Maybe next month)

Keith

Not another !Removed! Keith. ;)

I knew you was getting on (like me) because of the price you pay, ours is around the same. It has it's advantages being middle aged. :D

I am well into the Saga age group and did get a quote from them once (not the last time though) and they were quite high. I continually get junk mail from them reminding me of their insurance business.

I'd actually heard the same to be fair, they weren't over competitive considering the populous they target.

As for spam/junk mail, either my insurance company or the gargage that did insurance work for me at the end of last year, have sold my mobile number on (the only 2 companies who I've given my mobile number to)and I'm now getting at least 2 texts or calls a week from compensation claim ambulance chasers. All differing numbers as well, it's a !Removed! nightmare and I noticed something on the news about it a couple of nights ago so it must be getting quite prevalent.

I finally got mine sorted:

Age 25 with 5 years NCB £480 with AXA: including NCB protection, courtesy car and legal cover. My renewal quote was £900 and I've had others up to £1600 so £480 isn't too shabby.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club