Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wing Mirror Replacement!

jeebowhite

Hi Guys,

Some [insert word] seems to have smashed my wingmirror, I have taken the assembly apart as far as possible, but to take the mirror off the car, I need to disconnect the electrical connection below.

1) Can anyone advise how to disconnect it (I was pulling it, prying it and plyering it, and I couldnt get it off...!)

2) I am going to need to replace the plastic surround, however I am wondering if I need to replace the entire damn assembly?

3) if you do not need to replace the entire assembly, has anyone come across any hot to's on taking them apart?

Heres the connection:

dsci0112u.jpg

dsci0113b.jpg

Heres the mirror housing damage:

dsci0108n.jpg

dsci0109r.jpg

Couple of other photos on here: http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeebowhite

Prats aren't they, mind you I suspect it was an accident. And if they were wandering of the line, better to smash into your mirror, than dent and scrap all down your front wing.

Now that said, I've not taken one off myself, but if you examine the connector closely you will see that it is push and auto lock type connector. This is to stop it working its self loose. You usually have to press a piece off the male connector to disengage it from the female connector, a protruding bit of plastic that moves like a sprung lever. It will be dead easy when you fathom it, that you will kick yourself for not sussing it earlier. :)

In fact I'd hazard a guess it is staring back at you in picture number two between your thumb and finger [top of the male connector, facing the camera] press in and then pull apart.

Thanks Catch, didnt consider the pushing in, but I did wonder about the little white tabs, as per one in picture number one at the bottom of the connector...

And yeah, but heres a coincidence, a car on my road that was fine Friday night, had his driver mirror knackered this morning (baring in mind its my nearside that was smashed!) and all of a sudden its been fixed again... coincidence? I think not, but an accident or not, its always folk like myself who have to pay the bill due to their illegal, inconsiderate actions...

OK so I tried again with warm hands (thought the cold might have been the problem - apparently not) I have pulled it, pushed the ssides in and pulled it, wedged a screwdriver under what I think is the clip and still no luck, I cannot get this thing off! I am pretty sure that Ford will charge me just to get it seperated! Do you / anyone else have any other ideas how to get this off?

OK, so the good news and bad news...

The good news is, that the clip was a stupid push in, and then pull out! as the firewall here blocks the images, I cant describe it perfectly, but the image where I have the connector between my fingers, at the top and front, you will see a little nobble, push that in and pull out! jobs a good 'un.

Now for the bad news.

I bought a wingmirror from a company, and after asking them outright "Is it OEM and a Ford Original Part" the answer was "Yes" - bye bye £55.00, removed my wingmirror and compared it to the one I bought - OEM my ace! so I need to sort that out, lucky me the phone call was recorded by work, so hopefully they cant argue the point!

So, decided to call my local "Small Ford Centre" and ask them about the wingmirror... "Do you have an OEM Ford Part?" - "Yes" - OK! So I pop down this morning and take a 9am Lunch from work, arrive on the doorstep and they pull out the wingmirror, and its only exactly the same part I am having to return to the other company because its not OEM! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! - They dont do original parts, and they check there stock and apparently the 2005 MK2.5 Focus is "Too New" to end up in a place like that... So £125 + VAT from Ford Dealer to replace the wingmirror - I really CBA anymore...

So the moral of the story is, if you want an OEM part, trust no one who says it is.

Go out and buy yourself a focus, safe in the knowledge that its too new for someone to write off, or apparently damage unless you live near where I do, in which case, your damned if you do and damned if you dont...

One more reason to wave goodbye to Ford...

OK, so the good news and bad news...

The good news is, that the clip was a stupid push in, and then pull out! as the firewall here blocks the images, I cant describe it perfectly, but the image where I have the connector between my fingers, at the top and front, you will see a little nobble, push that in and pull out! jobs a good 'un.

I could have told you that.........Hang on a minute, I did :rolleyes:

You usually have to press a piece of the male connector to disengage it from the female connector, a protruding bit of plastic that moves like a sprung lever. It will be dead easy when you fathom it, that you will kick yourself for not sussing it earlier. :)

In fact I'd hazard a guess it is staring back at you in picture number two between your thumb and finger [top of the male connector, facing the camera] press in and then pull apart.

Eh these young uns....they just don't listen to those who have most likely been there done that........ There was a valid reason why Native American Tribal War Councils were made up of older tribal members, and the actual war parties made up of Young Bucks ;)

I could have told you that.........Hang on a minute, I did :rolleyes:

Eh these young uns....they just don't listen to those who have most likely been there done that........ There was a valid reason why Native American Tribal War Councils were made up of older tribal members, and the actual war parties made up of Young Bucks ;)

To be fair, you have me banged to rights! I think the problem was in my frustration, I was pushing and pulling everything (I did try to push that bit and couldnt get it to come out) I can only assume its a combination of wussy arms, cold wussy arms and the mental block!

I do like being proven wrong, its the only way to learn!

A few suggestions to all who may need to do this

1) get rid of your living room and put a garage in there... who really needs family time anyway? lol

2) If you do try to replace the wingmirror assembly, then do it when its warm, or do it in short stints!

3) hunt anyone down like a wild dog who you suspect hit your car, suprisingly (or not) the police wrote to me saying they couldnt do anything or investigate anything, so if you suspect it, chase it up yourself...

Thanks Catch, had it been warm, less stressy, and not for the little one keeping me up day and night, who knows, maybe patience would have prevailed?

Thank you anyway, as I did re-read your post and went out and tried it again (a few times after coming in, holding a bioling cup of coffee, drinking said coffee and trying it all again...) its amazing what warm fingers can do!

• 3 years later...

I am not dumb, but this is defeating me completely - I understand the principle, but still cannot find whatever relea

Thanks for your patience, I got hold of it as per pic 2 and worried at it with a grub screwdriver and eventually got some movement.

Now awaiting delivery of replacement from eBay and hope I have same luck as Vendee with it fitting

Stan

Great news Stan! yeah it is a tricky sod isnt it! as you can see I broke my clip being impatient!

At least its now ready for when you get the new one, but be wary, if you have got a none ford part, then you might loose the heated element, if not the movement element.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club