Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Earth Wire Bolt (Fixing)

bt_cav

Hi all,

Yesterday I attemped to undo the main earth where it bolts on to the body next to the wing, its only a speed bolt (thick course 10mm) Im guessing it has a body fastner (if thats what they are called :huh: ) the thing is it feels like its going to snap so I want to get a new one before I attempt it. I know access is restricted by the plastic inner wing cover but its partly broken and I have a brand new one to fit.

Dose anyone know the proper name for the 'body fastner' and where i can get a replacement?

look forward to the chat :)

Google star washers .... is that what your looking for ?

Hey Dan thanks for your reply, No its like a small bit of sheet steel rectangular and foloded in half to bake a square with a hole through the center which is 'threaded' to accept a course self tapping 10mm bolt, they are used every where but I have no idea what they are called.

Maybe ford or Halfords will have them...for a price £££££

Try searching for "captive nuts" :rolleyes:

Woohoo second & third image on google images, thems the boys!!

the second one looks like its for course 'speed bolts'

Nice one mate :D

think I'll ask the guy in Halfords if he has captive nuts :lol:

* update

just called quickco, they sell a 'kit' battery strap, bolt and captive nut for a randsome of £35 dont think I'll be calling them back any time soon

They're called Spire Nuts.

Hey mjt

Cheers for that mate :)

Armed with this information I set off to the local motor factors and iorn momgers....they didn't have a clue what I was on about, I even showed them a pic but I was graced with the standard reply 'No, we dont keep them'

Finally I went into Halford were there was a choise of sizes (Halfords call them 'U clips') I almost didn't mind paying £2.50 for 4. They even had a kit for a few more gold coins, so I suppose its fair play to Halfords on this one :P

• 1 month later...

Hey Folks

Need to add the ending to this one...all be it with a red face :(

Its actually not a spire clip the earth bolt screws into, there is captive nut welded to the underside.... It just felt like a spire clip.

But its not all been a waste of time and band width, at least we all know what a spire clip is :P

by the way, the 10mm bolt did snap and you will know the result if you have read my "Oups" thread, talk about Lucky white heather lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club