Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Fluid Change After 10,000 Miles?

Truly55

The wife's Mk7 1.4 petrol is exactly 2 years old and has covered just under 10,000 miles. It's getting its 2nd service today and Ford are advising that the fluid should be changed?! Really? Ford said it would be £39 and could be done during the service. The wife said no thanks.

Has anyone else had similar experiences during routine services? Surely the fluid can last more than 2 years / 10,000 miles?

Cheers

Pete

Hi,

Brake fluid is hygroscopic which essentially means that it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.

Over time the fluid becomes increasingly diluted with water - which has a lower boiling point than brake fluid. Under extreme conditions, heat from the brakes can cause the fluid to boil - resulting in a loss of brake effectiveness; if the fluid's old, it will boil more readily due to the water content which will increase over time.

Hence your dealer's right on this occasion, it is good practice to have a brake fluid change every two years - and according to the Ford Etis website this is part of the service schedule for the Mk7 Fiesta.

Hi,

Brake fluid is hygroscopic which essentially means that it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.

Over time the fluid becomes increasingly diluted with water - which has a lower boiling point than brake fluid. Under extreme conditions, heat from the brakes can cause the fluid to boil - resulting in a loss of brake effectiveness; if the fluid's old, it will boil more readily due to the water content which will increase over time.

Hence your dealer's right on this occasion, it is good practice to have a brake fluid change every two years - and according to the Ford Etis website this is part of the service schedule for the Mk7 Fiesta.

Hi Andy. Yes, I understand what you're saying so I wish Ford could have been more insistent to my wife that it was part of the service schedule rather than asking would she like it done. A question then to all you Mk7 owners out there...did you get your brake fluid changed after 2 years? Do I need to rebook it into the garage for a £39 fluid change?

cheers

Hi Andy. Yes, I understand what you're saying so I wish Ford could have been more insistent to my wife that it was part of the service schedule rather than asking would she like it done. A question then to all you Mk7 owners out there...did you get your brake fluid changed after 2 years? Do I need to rebook it into the garage for a £39 fluid change?

cheers

Booked mine in today for 2 year service and asked about brake fluid change, £196.72 for service + £39.99 for brake fluid change. They said they have some gadget that they check the brake fluid with to see if it needs changing, in the end agreed they would change it with service for all in price of £200.... still not sure whether it needs doing, never used to be done in the old days...LOL

case of rather be safe than sorry? in fairness your car aint gonna carry on rolling next time you use the brakes because you aint had it done, but its then done and they are back to their best which is safer i suppose aint it

Booked mine in today for 2 year service and asked about brake fluid change, £196.72 for service + £39.99 for brake fluid change. They said they have some gadget that they check the brake fluid with to see if it needs changing, in the end agreed they would change it with service for all in price of £200.... still not sure whether it needs doing, never used to be done in the old days...LOL

Ouch - £196.72 for 2 year service. Granted it's a bigger engine and a diesel. Wifey paid £138. Rang a day previously and it was £165! Two other local dealers were both around £165 for 1.4 petrol / 2 year service. What do others here on the forum pay for a 1.4 petrol / 2 year service? Probably going to have to cough up £40 for brake fluid change.

some garages just stick to the schedual and change the fluid every two years, they should test the fluid with a moisture meter and as long as its less than 1.5% it should be allright,at 3% it needs changing.

I had the brake fluid changed on my second service on my Ka a few years back. I'm no expert but at 10k miles is it really necessary? It's something they offer at a 2nd service but you could have covered 25k miles by then.

I had the brake fluid changed on my second service on my Ka a few years back. I'm no expert but at 10k miles is it really necessary? It's something they offer at a 2nd service but you could have covered 25k miles by then.

My '58 reg Mk 6.5 Zetec Climate is <10,000 miles, and wasn't even moisture checked at the 2 year service. I am on a 3-year service contract, and expect to be stung for brake/clutch fluid change as an extra, this September, + MoT work (the MoT fee is part of the contract.). I was made aware of the moisture check when I started the contract.

I was given very nice loan cars both times, and the car got washed well, and I got better oil last year, -- Castrol Edge 5W30.

some garages just stick to the schedual and change the fluid every two years, they should test the fluid with a moisture meter and as long as its less than 1.5% it should be allright,at 3% it needs changing.

Expect a lot check it and if ok do not change it, then still charge you £40 for a change anyway,how would we know? :(

For reasons I won't go in to (far too long a post) I've never agreed to have a brake fluid change. However to be fair to the manufacturers, the brake fluid change is a time based recommendation, it's got nothing to do with the wear and tear caused by how many miles the car's covered.

for anyone who wants to check themselves you can get electronic moisture testers for as little as £22 now.