Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con

jammyc

Hi,

Just picked up my new 1.25 Zetec on Tuesday. I've noticed on other cars (last car was a C Max, previously to that an Astra) that the air con was pretty hopeless. Someone told me that it has to be used quote often, say at last once a week, otherwise it will lose its effectiveness after a period of time. Is this true? First time I've had a new car so want to look after it but lets face it, in Scotland there ain't much use for air con for about 48 weeks of the year so seems a waste of fuel to run it regularly!

Not sure about every week but I would try run it regularly, its not just good for those 4weeks(bit hopefully arnt yah :P) of sunshine but its very good @ demisting, If you turn the blowers on @ certain temps the aircon comes on with them and it always comes on if you move the blowers to the window, as AC is a very good way of demisting.

If you dont want AC to be used every time you turn to de mist, before starting the engine, but with the electrics on, turn the blowers to the window and turn the blowers on, the AC light will come on and just press off and it wont come back on now until you turn the car off(or press the button)

jay

Personally I don't know why people turn it off, it does more harm than good, doesn't affect MPG as much as people think and the loss of power, well let's be honest, you aint gonna notice that much in one of these are you.

Ideally you should run the aircon for 10 mins (continuous usage) per week, all year. This will lubricate the gas seals & the compressor & help to keep the system effective. Though in winter if the air temperature's below about 7 degrees the system won't work.

Also after running the aircon, after switching it off you should turn on the heater & run it for 5 mins or so just to dry out the vents & stop bacteria from forming - otherwise it leaves a nasty smell after a few months!

Comma Air Conditioning Cleaner works a treat every couple of years.

Agree with Keith - just keep it on all the time!

the hot air tip after is a good one, do you keep the ac on with the hot air or just use blowers?

i used to run the car and leave the ac on with no-one in for 10 mins every time it was washed when i had my st and it kept the nice leathery smell and general clean smell for years :)

In the last 4 cars or so that have had a/c in, I've never turned it off and never spent a penny on maintaining the system, never had them regassed and never had to rid the system of any pongs.

the hot air tip after is a good one, do you keep the ac on with the hot air or just use blowers?

I turn the a/c off & just use the blowers with the warm air to dry out the ducting.

I turn the a/c off & just use the blowers with the warm air to dry out the ducting.

Why?

I barley ever use my air con.

I barley ever use my air con.

It's not matter of whther you think you need it or not, it does more harm than good leaving it off, hence smelly aircon systems and systems that need gassing. Plus it lubricates the seals as well. You aren't saving anything leaving it off, just making the chances of remedial work later on, higher.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club