Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 Creaking Boot.....?

kenny.c

Hi there

Does anyone else have a creaking boot on thier MK7 Fiesta...? If so does anyone know what the fix is cos its driving me mad.....

Thanx

Ken

Mine doesn't creak but I haven't done too many miles so I am interested to see if this is something which will develop. I will keep my ears out for it :D

I certainly have (see my posts under "MK7 Boot rattle" and "How many faults does your Mk7 have"?). Its driving me mad too, that's exactly how I would describe the noise - creaking. I have run out of ideas now after after eliminating the back seats. the rear parcel shelf, messing about with the rubber tailgate stops, putting temporary bits of foam or rubber in various places, adjusting the tailgate catch both tighter and looser (it's at its maximum tightness at the moment)and lubricating the rubber seal with silicone to see if it is that. I might have to take it in to Ford but I'm not very optomistic about them fixing it.

Sorry I can't help. My previous Mk 7 (a 1.6TDCI) didn't do it,unless, of course, it was drowned out by the diesel noise ! Any ideas appreciated here too.

God - don't get me started on the creaking boot! Drives me mad. I'm actually tempted to cut off the back of my Fiesta. <_<

Got a creaking boot among other general intermittant rattles.

It is very annoying.

Jay

I mean, to be honest, it's mainly the parcel shelf not fitting correctly. Then the back seats also rattle, and my door cards have started rattling now! I just turn the music up and it all gooooooes away :blink:

I mean, to be honest, it's mainly the parcel shelf not fitting correctly. Then the back seats also rattle, and my door cards have started rattling now! I just turn the music up and it all gooooooes away :blink:

Parcel shelf out,seats down,door cards wedged with bits of paper and its still there ! Disappears when I drive with the taigate open though - I think that's the solution !

Hi

Add me to the growing list of Fiesta owner's with a creaking boot and it's also driving me nuts.

I've had the car from new since October 1st last year and I swear that it's only over the last couple of weeks that these noises have started. The noises are a combination of low volume knocks and a sort of creaking and it sounds like they are happening when the car is be flexed across it's width.

I notice the noises most when I first pull away in the car and I'm making my way to the m'way but when I'm doing around 60mph, the noises appear to stop and then start again when I slow down and leave the m'way.

Last night I removed the parcel shelf, the boot carpet and spare wheel plus jack/tools, so the boot was empty. When I went to work this morning at 5am, as I pulled away and then built of my speed to 30mph, I heard the knocks which are not loud, and creaking. My next step was going to be folding down the back seats but having read the reply's in this thread, maybe it's something we will have to live with?

I also think that it may be to do with the hatch door and I may open the door tomorrow and put some padding between that and the lock mechanism on the body. My car is booked in to my local Ford dealership on 21st March for it's 1,500 mile/3 month check (it's a little late going in for that) and I've asked them to investigate the noises at the rear of the car but, after reading these posts, I think I may not bother, because it might end up worse than it went in.

Regards, BHeart

Well mine is 100% related to the latch......if I get someone to push down on a closed boot...it makes the exact noise....adjustung the latch does alter the noise. Ive found the boot latch must line up perfectly with the 2 rubber/plastic guides in the latch that you alter on the car side.

Im still investigating....ill report back any progress....

Ken

I strongly suspect the latch too and also I can get a similar noise by pressing down on a closed boot. We might be on the right track ! I have adjusted the latch fore and aft (up and down) and it alters the sound without getting rid of it. I have had it at its tightest (fully down) and I have to close the boot harder,of course, to close it but the noise is still there. I have some tape on the latch as a marker to see how far I have moved it and its original position. I have even sat in the boot (with seats down of course !) to investigate. What I haven't tried is seeing if the latch has any lateral adjustment (side to side)which would,as you say, affect how the 'wedge'shaped catch fits into those rubber guides. Let me know of any progress and I'll report back too.

Hi

Further to my original post last night, before I left for work this morning, I put some cloth padding between the hatch door and over the catch on the body and then lowered the door onto it and then drove 12 miles to work and I did not hear any noises at all from the rear. It was so quiet that I actually missed not hearing the creaking. :)

It's definitely the door and locking mechanism that is the problem here. So if anyone comes up with a fix, please post back.

BHeart

The wife used to have a citroen picasso and just inflating the tyres to the correct pressure sorted out 80% of the rattles in it. Reduced the twisting in the car I presume.

If you have a spare tyre, or a temporary spare or even a fit-it-kit, take it out and go for a drive. The noise magically disappears. I found it was the foam that held the spare tyre gear that made the noise in my car. Although the black buffer like rubbers on the rear door (one each side) also needed to be tightened (put them at 7 and 1 o'clock). No rattles from the boot anymore.

If you have a spare tyre, or a temporary spare or even a fit-it-kit, take it out and go for a drive. The noise magically disappears. I found it was the foam that held the spare tyre gear that made the noise in my car. Although the black buffer like rubbers on the rear door (one each side) also needed to be tightened (put them at 7 and 1 o'clock). No rattles from the boot anymore.

Hi

I've only just noticed the 'black buffer like rubbers' on the rear door, can you explain what you mean by 'putting them at 7 and 1 o'clock?

Are the rubber stops marked in some way that allows you to place them in the positions you stated and, with the boot door open, looking from the back of the car towards the front, which side is 7?

Also, what does putting the rubber stops at 7 and 1 o'clock do?

As I stated earlier, I emptied my boot and inserted some padding between the bottom of the door and the lock and the creaking/knocks went but, it could just be the the rubber stops were not coming into contact with the body and so the creaking stopped?

Hi

I've only just noticed the 'black buffer like rubbers' on the rear door, can you explain what you mean by 'putting them at 7 and 1 o'clock?

Are the rubber stops marked in some way that allows you to place them in the positions you stated and, with the boot door open, looking from the back of the car towards the front, which side is 7?

Also, what does putting the rubber stops at 7 and 1 o'clock do?

As I stated earlier, I emptied my boot and inserted some padding between the bottom of the door and the lock and the creaking/knocks went but, it could just be the the rubber stops were not coming into contact with the body and so the creaking stopped?

I think I may have identified the source of the creaking on my car. Looks as though it was the latch. Your idea of covering the lock with cloth gave me the idea. I already suspected it was the catch so I wrapped some cloth tape around the steel 'hasp' (the adjustable bit on the boot). Allelujah ! The noise has gone ! It must be the catch mechanism rattling against the hasp when closed. The tape can only be a temporary fix as it will wear through in time but at least I have pinpointed the cause.

The rubber bump stops at each corner rotate 90 deg to be removed/fitted so I think dannyhilton means to leave them in-between. Fiddling with them didn't make any difference in my case. The rubber stops on my Rover 45's were adjustable by a rubber thread arrangement which is a much better idea (probably a result if that cars Honda heritage).

I think I may have identified the source of the creaking on my car. Looks as though it was the latch. Your idea of covering the lock with cloth gave me the idea. I already suspected it was the catch so I wrapped some cloth tape around the steel 'hasp' (the adjustable bit on the boot). Allelujah ! The noise has gone ! It must be the catch mechanism rattling against the hasp when closed. The tape can only be a temporary fix as it will wear through in time but at least I have pinpointed the cause.

The rubber bump stops at each corner rotate 90 deg to be removed/fitted so I think dannyhilton means to leave them in-between. Fiddling with them didn't make any difference in my case. The rubber stops on my Rover 45's were adjustable by a rubber thread arrangement which is a much better idea (probably a result if that cars Honda heritage).

Hi Magenta

It sounds very much like we may have a solution, albeit a temporary one. :)

When you say you 'wrapped some cloth tape around the hasp', the adjustable bit on the boot; do you mean the bit on the bottom of the boot door or the part on the body that the door shuts on to and would the cloth tape intefere with the closing of the door if the tape is wrapped all the way around the hasp?

Also, I don't think I've got any 'cloth tape', where would I get some from?

As you say, this would be a temporary fix, so if you come up with a permanent one, please post back. My Fiesta is going into my Ford Dealer next Monday for the 1500/3 month and I really don't want them playing around with it.

Hi Magenta

It sounds very much like we may have a solution, albeit a temporary one. :)

When you say you 'wrapped some cloth tape around the hasp', the adjustable bit on the boot; do you mean the bit on the bottom of the boot door or the part on the body that the door shuts on to and would the cloth tape intefere with the closing of the door if the tape is wrapped all the way around the hasp?

Also, I don't think I've got any 'cloth tape', where would I get some from?

As you say, this would be a temporary fix, so if you come up with a permanent one, please post back. My Fiesta is going into my Ford Dealer next Monday for the 1500/3 month and I really don't want them playing around with it.

It's the bit on the body (the metal loop)that the tailgate shuts on to. As I said before. I have had this adjusted to all positions without making any difference. I just wrapped tape around the steel rod (not the whole thing)so it doesn't interfere with the lock action. In fact, the boot closes with a more solid sounding clunk now.

I'm sure almost any tape would prove if that was the problem or not,even several layers of pvc tape You can get cloth-based tape almost anywhere including Halfords, I bet or any DIY store such as B & Q. I just happened to have some lying around.

I assume it is the catch lever in the boot part rattling against the 'hasp' when the boot is closed so I am puzzled as to why pulling the boot down tighter by adjusting the 'hasp' doesn't fix it. I have now changed the tape to black pvc so it isn't so obvious but it's still only a temporary fix really. Perhaps the problem is within the lock mechanism and so only a new lock fitted by the dealer would cure it. I am continuing to think about it even though the noise has gone away !

• 2 weeks later...

BHeart - did you sort your tailgate rattle ? Mine is still cured with the tape around the 'strike'.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

My Fiesta is doing this too. Only bought it a week ago (its 6 months old) and noticed it particularly today. Found this thread and thought I'd try winding some insulating tape around the catch (the 'loop' bit at the bottom). Just took it for a spin round the block and the problem seems to be solved. Should be an ok temp fix for now, but I'm going to try taking it back to the dealer at some point to be properly fixed. I don't mind wrapping tape around bits on a 10 year old car, but not a 6 month old car LOL :blink:

Hi all,

My Fiesta is doing this too. Only bought it a week ago (its 6 months old) and noticed it particularly today. Found this thread and thought I'd try winding some insulating tape around the catch (the 'loop' bit at the bottom). Just took it for a spin round the block and the problem seems to be solved. Should be an ok temp fix for now, but I'm going to try taking it back to the dealer at some point to be properly fixed. I don't mind wrapping tape around bits on a 10 year old car, but not a 6 month old car LOL :blink:

I absolutely agree. The insulation tape has worked 100% for me and it's been there a few weeks now but I shouldn't have to resort to such bodges on such a new car. If I take it in with just a rattle though, I'm fairly sure they will say they can't find it.

BHeart - did you sort your tailgate rattle ? Mine is still cured with the tape around the 'strike'.

Hi Magenta

I've only just got back to the thread and yes, it's fixed for the moment with the tape around the hasp but, I've found some electrical cable or coax black cable which is the same diameter as the hasp, I then cut off a suitable length of the 'outer black sheath' and slit it down it's length and intend to fit that around the complete hasp with the 'slit' to the inside and an inverted 'v' 'nearly cut out' at the bends.

It's a bit thicker than the tape but I'm hoping the door will shut ok and will work just as well, if not better than the tape.

With regard to taking it in to Ford, I agree with you and they will probably just say they don't have a solution. So, I'm happy to put up with it for the time being, especially if the 'black pvc sheath' works and it will last longer than the tape.

Hi Magenta

I've only just got back to the thread and yes, it's fixed for the moment with the tape around the hasp but, I've found some electrical cable or coax black cable which is the same diameter as the hasp, I then cut off a suitable length of the 'outer black sheath' and slit it down it's length and intend to fit that around the complete hasp with the 'slit' to the inside and an inverted 'v' 'nearly cut out' at the bends.

It's a bit thicker than the tape but I'm hoping the door will shut ok and will work just as well, if not better than the tape.

With regard to taking it in to Ford, I agree with you and they will probably just say they don't have a solution. So, I'm happy to put up with it for the time being, especially if the 'black pvc sheath' works and it will last longer than the tape.

Hi BHeart,

I'll try that 'Mk2' version of the fix. It did occurr to me to put something more permanent over the metal loop such as heat shrink sleeving but of course, you can't get anything on without slitting it. I'll try your idea.

Does the Mk2 fix work anyone?