Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 Creaking Boot.....?

kenny.c

I am confident that the 'Mk2' fix that BHeart suggests will be effective in damping the creaking noise. It's just a case of how long the sleeving will stay in place or wear through as the tape will in due course. Maybe we should get Ford to do something permanent about it after all. I assume (in my case at any rate) that the catch in the tailgate assembly is rattling against the hasp when the boot is closed.

• 2 months later...

Yep... I've had this problem since I purchased my 6 month old MK7 and it's been annoying the hell out of me. Other than this, the car is surprisingly quiet of rattles / noises (never did sort a similar noise in my Ibiza!).

Totally agree that it's the back hatch locking mechanism.

Mine would appear to be fixed by adjusting the "striker plate" (IE. the steel plate that the hatch locks onto when you shut the back hatch).Took a fair bit of fiddling (and a T40 bit for my wrench), as the plate adjusts up/down and left/right and any combination of these! And you have to adjust it "just right" to line up with the locking mechanism in the hatch. I found you need it so that the hatch requires a fair slam (without over doing it of course)to shut. Only tried a quick test drive tonight, but hopefully sorted.

Funny thing is... the rear hatch (on my car at least) is not 100% square and true.

Even just resting the hatch on the locking mechanism (without actually shutting it), you can see that the "shut line" between the bottom edge of the hatch and the car "rises slightly from left to right". Not that its that obvious, but if you look closely you can see it. Just a hinge on the hatch not 100% aligned properly I suspect.

Fingers crossed that's sorted it for me.

Aha! Im not along or going mad then!

I have a 'squeak'. Developed last week during all the wet weather. I thought prehaps the boot rubbers may be dry so ran some vaseline over them. No cure. Next I sat in the back while my missus drove and I have located the squeak to the LH rear seat catch. WD40 and 3 in 1 oil seems to have soled the problem. I'm now wondering why this would develop inside the car during the wet weather? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

But for now, Im squeak free, so I can concentrate on the spider that lives in my drivers door mirror and spins his web all over the door and handle so I have to wipe the car down before I get in every morning!

Yep... I've had this problem since I purchased my 6 month old MK7 and it's been annoying the hell out of me. Other than this, the car is surprisingly quiet of rattles / noises (never did sort a similar noise in my Ibiza!).

Totally agree that it's the back hatch locking mechanism.

Mine would appear to be fixed by adjusting the "striker plate" (IE. the steel plate that the hatch locks onto when you shut the back hatch).Took a fair bit of fiddling (and a T40 bit for my wrench), as the plate adjusts up/down and left/right and any combination of these! And you have to adjust it "just right" to line up with the locking mechanism in the hatch. I found you need it so that the hatch requires a fair slam (without over doing it of course)to shut. Only tried a quick test drive tonight, but hopefully sorted.

Funny thing is... the rear hatch (on my car at least) is not 100% square and true.

Even just resting the hatch on the locking mechanism (without actually shutting it), you can see that the "shut line" between the bottom edge of the hatch and the car "rises slightly from left to right". Not that its that obvious, but if you look closely you can see it. Just a hinge on the hatch not 100% aligned properly I suspect.

Fingers crossed that's sorted it for me.

When I had finally proved it was the tailgate catch making the noise I spent a couple of weeks adjusting the catch up/down/left/right and all I could get was a change in the clicking noise without getting rid of it. Hence the tape around the hasp which cured it immediately. I think that the moving part of the catch in the tailgate is moving about however tightly it is adjusted and a new catch might be the only permanent answer in my case. Next time it goes in I will get them to change it.

I'm trying to sort a buzzing from the facia at the moment at certain road speeds. It is coming from around the temperature controls area. How do I get the large trim off either side of the controls (the dark grey pieces) ? I don't want to interfere with the air bags, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Rattle back. So tried the "electricians plastic tape" as per magenta and now appears 100% sorted. Hard to believe that much noise was emanating from such a small thing.

Quiet at last......

Rattle back. So tried the "electricians plastic tape" as per magenta and now appears 100% sorted. Hard to believe that much noise was emanating from such a small thing.

Quiet at last......

Glad you sorted it. It was quite an annoying rattle and once you had heard it, it wouldn't go away despite passengers saying they couldn't hear anything !

Perhaps Ford should increase the diameter of the 'loop' part rather than redesign the catch. You would have thought that Ford would have perfected such a basic fundemental part of the car by now !

• 2 months later...

I've had this rattle for a good while now, it's been totally me mad. I forced my Brother to sit in the back while I drove about and shouted "identify that noise, soldier!", still couldn't find it. I tried adhesive felt all over the place, removing the parcel shelf, folding rear seats down, adjusting the rubber stops on the boot etc...

Now I've come across this thread I think this will fix it. I noticed that when I drive over speed bumps my boot rattles as if the 'U' part of the boot mechanism on the body needs adjusting lower to tighten the boot up. I have some very thin adhesive felt which I'll also wrap around the 'U', hopefully the boot will still close.

Problem not solved :( it wasn't the boot mechanism. I'm still being driven mad.

• 8 months later...

i have the same issue and unfortunately mine didn't work by taping the boot mechanism. I took apart the plastic in the weekend and as far as I can tell, the creaking comes from the hatch, somewhere in the low right, but somehow between the two parts of metal that makes the hatch(i don't know if I made myself understood). After I took the plastic off, there are some holes there, can I put some spray, or foam, or something inside the metal? any other ideas?

34930vc.jpg

no other ideas? other people that had the same or similar problem?

• 3 weeks later...

I too have a creaking boot and have found it is the tailgate trim vibrating against the back screen.I put some cloth tape between the glass and the trim and no creaking. :D

When I pull out of my drive I have a squeak/creak noise that at first sounded like a shock absorber not working properly but after shaking my rear seats it appears to be them not fitting into their latches properly so I'm gonna try some heavy duty Raja tape at work tomorrow over all the metal "loops" (boot and seats) to see if it stops :angry:

Hi there

Does anyone else have a creaking boot on thier MK7 Fiesta...? If so does anyone know what the fix is cos its driving me mad.....

Thanx

Ken

I had Mk 7 ZS and mine rattled , ford changed the lock and it went away ? Not sure if this was issue or lock change removal disturbed / cured rattle ?

• 5 years later...

After spending 6 months trying to diagnose a creak coming from rear (low speeds, high suspension travel), I came across this thread. Tried the insulation-tape on the hasp trick and it worked! Thanks folks.

I'm glad that people are still finding the ''electricians tape on the tailgate hasp'' fix useful but  AJ SXe has added a useful twist to it to stop the rear seat retaining catches rattling.    I have tried all sorts of dodges to prevent this on my Mk7 but never thought of the tape idea.  I'm going to try it today !

A.

• 3 years later...

The tailgate noise was coming from the struts which support the tailgate. I changed on mine and the noise disappeared. They cost 50 pounds each from main FORD dealer.

My car is 4 years old with 12500 miles on it I purchased  brand new in 2017. It is FIESTA 1.25 Zetec 5 doors hatch.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club