Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Incredibly Stupid Design

Hen Pecked

What on earth prompted Ford to design a vehicle with no lockable fuel cap?

Even with the vehicle locked, the fuel lid opens allowing someone to siphon out the petrol/diesel.

I know this as I filled up in Hull yesterday, parked at the Princes Quay car park, came back one hour later to find my fuel cap open and just enough petrol in the tank to get back the the garage.

With the cost of fuel going sky high, Fords must be the thieves greatest friend.

Oh well, off to Halfords for a lockable cap.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hen Pecked

• KeithC

• Strutter

• sparticus5

Thats unlucky. It can only have been syphoned off by someone who knows how the capless system works and they have access to the small plastic funnel, similar to the one in the boot of the car.

You cannot prise open the flap inside the neck without it, an ordinary funnel or tube won't do it. It has to be of the right diameter to operate the anti syphon / spillage flap.

I don't know if you can actually get a lockable cap on there. The reason for it is as you know, is to stop you filling it up by accident with diesel as the neck on the filler pipe is a different size between petrol and diesel.

Hope you can resolve it. I suppose as more and more people become aware of the system and fuel continues to rise and they know how it works, they'll be running round to the Ford dealers to buy the small funnel for a £10.

I have checked with various Ford sites in the US as well and it seems that this is a problem.

The lids do not lock when the car is locked and all you need to do is to push hard with a hose pipe against the flap catch and voila, you are now able to siphon off the fuel. You do not even need the little plastic funnel.

The lockable lid issue has been taken up in the States and a recall by Ford is rumoured.

The lockable cap is the only quick answer. I am checking out Halfords etc. today to see if any fit OK.

Those should be free of charge to us. Wishful thinking maybe :(

Wishful thinking maybe :(

Not really, you'd expect that the car would provide adequate protection from fuel theft. If it is that easy to siphon petrol out of the car Ford are going to have a lot of egg on their face and money missing from their pockets when this hits the fan.

Those should be free of charge to us. Wishful thinking maybe :(

Not really, you'd expect that the car would provide adequate protection from fuel theft. If it is that easy to siphon petrol out of the car Ford are going to have a lot of egg on their face and money missing from their pockets when this hits the fan.

that doesn't mean ford will hand them out for free during your service. it'd be nice if they did but who are we, just individuals. no-one will listen. now if watchdog were to get involved ....

capless fuel tank is a cool idea but only in perfect world which we are not in.

Thats odd..im pretty sure theirs a hard grill down the filler tube that stops long tubes being able to be pushed down into the tank.

Thats odd..im pretty sure theirs a hard grill down the filler tube that stops long tubes being able to be pushed down into the tank.

I was under that impression as well.

But lets be honest, how many cars have lock operated fuel caps? I've never owned a car which has a lock. The fuel cover on my Golf used to lock along with the central locking but it was hardly theft proof! A wee tap with a hammer would have easily broken that, it certainly wouldn't have prevented anyone determined to steal fuel from your tank.

Look at it this way, if anyone is determined to steal from you they will. Right now you've lost some fuel, would you rather be having to also replace the painted cover or worse still replace the whole fuel tank because someone bored a hole in it?

I know that you need the little black funnel to fill the car up so i thought it would be the same to take it out.

i know cos i had to fill up with a petrol can the other month and when i tried using the petrol can it pushed the silver flap open but sent it to the floor. it only worked and went into the tank when i used the funnel.

Ive had a focus and have now got a fiesta and i have never used the black funnel when fuelling. I just put the nozzle straight into the filler

I have checked my Fiesta today and you can put a hose all the way in.

If there was a grill, it certainly wasn't that hard to get past. I suspect that it is just a simple plastic one that was easily broken.

I also checked with my neighbours Focus and he was able to use an ordinary petrol can to fill up. The small flap is easily opened with a hard push. It was also possible to push a hose in.

I am buying one of those Ford lockables as advertised. Amazing how they react swiftly to pressure in the States but cannot be bothered over here...like the problem with 16" alloys buckling.

I thought the flap locked when the car was locked?? If it doesn't then that is a very stupid thing to do, someone could pour something into the tank, steal your fuel etc.

I'll not be wasting my time or money on a locakable fuel cap.

Can you let us all know where you live and where you park your car?

It may be quicker than going to the local garage. :ph34r:

I'll not be wasting my time or money on a locakable fuel cap.

Also living in liverpool/merseyside, i will not be wasting my time on a lockable lid. From the picture it also looks like a serpate "house like" key is required and not the actual car key.

I only put £10's in at a time (roughly 80 miles from that) so would rather someone nick (at most) £10 of fuel than me having to buy a new fuel tank/ assemby of the capless neck, or even the painted lid if somone bored a hole in my tank because i had put a locking cap on, for them to get a mingie tenner of fuel.

What a bummer. All down to keeping costs down for Ford?

Kind of cheapens the car tho

Compared to what..seen the simple slide locks on fuel caps..or that fix from Ford..one swift move from a Screw driver and itll open ANY file cap on ANY car.

Kinda related but has anybody had issues trying to open the flap to get to the fuel cap? Mine always gets stuck and the car is only 4months old!

Kinda related but has anybody had issues trying to open the flap to get to the fuel cap? Mine always gets stuck and the car is only 4months old!

Take it to the dealers, there is a known fix to sort that exact problem.

Can you let us all know where you live and where you park your car?

It may be quicker than going to the local garage. :ph34r:

Why, you've no petrol in your tank to get here!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club