Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Incredibly Stupid Design

Hen Pecked

Why, you've no petrol in your tank to get here!!

No problem, he just fills up every time he passes a Fiesta. B)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hen Pecked

• KeithC

• Strutter

• sparticus5

Take it to the dealers, there is a known fix to sort that exact problem.

Indeed..they take a screw driver and snap one of they plasic locking hooks off.

I know the flap doesn't lock, ever since the first fill up on my titanium early december 2008, I've always locked the car before filling up!

I can't even get my head around this, if someone had a grudge against you they could just put something in the tank which could lead to engine damage...this is what I'm most worried about, if someone has a grudge against you or maybe even has just read about the feature in a magazine and fancies wrecking someone's car then it's an easy way to do it :(

I can't even get my head around this, if someone had a grudge against you they could just put something in the tank which could lead to engine damage...this is what I'm most worried about, if someone has a grudge against you or maybe even has just read about the feature in a magazine and fancies wrecking someone's car then it's an easy way to do it :(

Hence my thread title "Incredibly Stupid Design"

I believe this has caused quiet a stir in the States and as I said, Fords are rumoured to be looking at a recall.

If someone had a grudge against you a little lock on the flap or cap wouldn't stop them...

if someone has a grudge against you they could just smash your windows pry open the fuel tank lock and pout summit in it or just set fire to your car, its not like a car is indestructable as long as it has a locking fuel cap :blink:

Honestly, there's nowt like a forum for mass hysteria.

As has already been stated, lockable fuel flaps are hardly the most secure of designs and can easily be opened with a bit of thought.

Honestly, there's nowt like a forum for mass hysteria.

As has already been stated, lockable fuel flaps are hardly the most secure of designs and can easily be opened with a bit of thought.

Why then do the vast majority of car manufacturers build cars with lockable lids?

Or are you suggesting that there is no need to protect fuel caps in any way. Try telling that to the farmers who are having diesel stolen from the tractors and fuel storage tanks.

With the cost of fuel about to rise to £2 a litre, any preventative measure is better that none.

I for one have bought a lockable cap. A bit late for the petrol already stolen but at least it is a small measure for the future.

Or perhaps you are a charitable sort of person who does not care if someone steals a tank of petrol from you. B)

What about these threads about low MPG? Maybe some of them had fuel stolen but didn't realise :blink:

I think I will buy a lockable cap, I don't live in a bad area but it's just for peace of mind, at least if someone takes a screwdriver to the cap you'll know about it. If someone steals £5 of your petrol, would you definitely notice?

What about these threads about low MPG? Maybe some of them had fuel stolen but didn't realise :blink:

I think I will buy a lockable cap, I don't live in a bad area but it's just for peace of mind, at least if someone takes a screwdriver to the cap you'll know about it. If someone steals £5 of your petrol, would you definitely notice?

You wouldn't understand this, but the irony of that post is not lost on me. That's one of Hen Pecked's other moans, he doesn't get the same mpg that's in the brochure. :lol:

Why then do the vast majority of car manufacturers build cars with lockable lids?

Or are you suggesting that there is no need to protect fuel caps in any way. Try telling that to the farmers who are having diesel stolen from the tractors and fuel storage tanks.

With the cost of fuel about to rise to £2 a litre, any preventative measure is better that none.

I for one have bought a lockable cap. A bit late for the petrol already stolen but at least it is a small measure for the future.

Or perhaps you are a charitable sort of person who does not care if someone steals a tank of petrol from you. B)

Are you sure you or another family member didn't just use the fuel? :lol:

Someone has petrol stolen and according to keith they are to blame.Nice one.

Someone has petrol stolen and according to keith they are to blame.Nice one.

No I never and don't even try and put words into my mouth, so you can do one straight away.

He bought a car that doesn't have a locking fuel cap, he's to blame for that. I knew it didn't have a locking fuel cap before I bought it, just like I knew I'd have to opt for the spare wheel if I wanted one. I have no sympathy for anyone who buys a car and later moans about it not having this and that, it's their fault they haven't done their homework, nobody else's.

And don't forget, he's not moaning about the fuel going missing, he's moaning because the car HE bought has no locking fuel cap. Simple as that.

You allays like to knock people down on every post Keith.

You allays like to knock people down on every post Keith.

No I don't.

I knocked you down because you was talking crap. If you are going to comment on what I say, read and understand what I say and not what you think I say because I can't allow for other's lack of intelligence when they read my comments.

Applying your logic, Hen Pecked must be blaming Ford for having his fuel pinched. I never implied that, I implied he was the one to blame for buying a car without the features he finds desirable.

You make a good point. I'll answer via something that happened to me yesterday.

My garden shed contains all my tools, power tools, my bike etc. It's about five years old and the manufacturer fitted a bolt-type lock on the door - just like 99% of all garden sheds. Off course like any responsible person I bought a padlock.

Yesterday I left the padlock keys on my workbench, closed the door and snapped shut the padlock! :o Wally!

Which got me thinking, best way to break in? So I go and get a screwdriver, undo the two screws on the cover which the bolt slides in to and hay presto, open door! No damage and the job's done in less than 20 secs.

Now what was the !Removed! point of me having a bolt/padlock on my garden shed for 5 years if you can break in that easy? Over the past years I've FELT things were secure - obviously they weren't. Take a look at your garden shed, your neighbours, your friends etc and you'll see that nearly every single one of them will likely have some security which makes the owner FEEL secure, however in reality that security is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Whether you buy a locking fuel cap or not is entirely your decision and if it makes you FEEL secure then great. But in reality any feeble lock on fuel caps won't deter a single person from stealing your fuel. I admit it might deter the odd inquisitive kid from peering down in to your fuel tank or stuffing his Buzz Lightyear down there, but that's about it.

You may think it an incredibly stupid design, others may see it as an incredibly wise design. Actually thinking of it, a locking fuel cap maight well INCREASE your insurance premium as your car is more prone to damage.

Can you confirm if the cap fits the UK spec vehicles, or does it just fit the ones acrross the pond

You wouldn't understand this, but the irony of that post is not lost on me. That's one of Hen Pecked's other moans, he doesn't get the same mpg that's in the brochure. :lol:

Perhaps you would like to explain what is wrong with discussing Fiesta points on a Fiesta forum?

OK FOLKS, THATS ENOUGH BICKERING NOW, EVERYONE HAS HAD THIER RANT, NOW LETS GET THIS TOPIC BACK ON TRACK WITH HELPFUL AND CONSTRUCTIVE POSTS

Perhaps you would like to explain what is wrong with discussing Fiesta points on a Fiesta forum?

There's nothing wrong with discussing it, I never said you shouldn't. But what you have to understand is that any discussion can have differing opinions. You can say what you want and I can say what I want in return. I haven't been rude, insulting or anything else for someone to get upset about. I say it how it is and obviously some get a little precious about it, but I'm sorry, I'm not changing for anyone.

Do you not agree, you should have done more research into the Fiesta before you bought one?

Did you know the Fiesta didn't have a capless fuel system before you bought it?

If not, why not, it is mentioned as a feature in the brochure.

If you did, why did you buy it?

There's nothing wrong with discussing it, I never said you shouldn't. But what you have to understand is that any discussion can have differing opinions. You can say what you want and I can say what I want in return. I haven't been rude, insulting or anything else for someone to get upset about. I say it how it is and obviously some get a little precious about it, but I'm sorry, I'm not changing for anyone.

Do you not agree, you should have done more research into the Fiesta before you bought one?

Did you know the Fiesta didn't have a capless fuel system before you bought it?

If not, why not, it is mentioned as a feature in the brochure.

If you did, why did you buy it?

Treating your post as a genuine question and not a wind up..

I posted a thread regarding what I consider to be a stupid design. It is not just me, but many other Fiesta owners who on reflection consider it so. This is born out by the fact that it is a world wide issue and has resulted in Ford of America having to come up with a retro solution.

The capless fuel tank is pushed by Ford as a selling point. On the surface it seems a good idea but after a while and having had a full tank of petrol syphoned out, I do not agree. You may not agree with me but you do not have to make it personal. I have kept my points to the capless fuel cap but you have made it personal with many of your remarks, not just to me but to other FMs as well.

I am sure you enjoy posting these comments, but as the moderator said, lets keep out the bickering and stick to the thread. I have not made any direct personal remarks about you or any other FM and all of my comments are directed at the thread titles (including MPG).

I posted a thread regarding what I consider to be a stupid design.

And I posted saying I don't agree.

It is not just me, but many other Fiesta owners who on reflection consider it so.

..and it just wasn't me that disagreed with you.

This is born out by the fact that it is a world wide issue and has resulted in Ford of America having to come up with a retro solution.

That's funny as I had the Fiesta serviced this morning and they never mentioned it.

The capless fuel tank is pushed by Ford as a selling point.

Yes they did.

On the surface it seems a good idea but after a while and having had a full tank of petrol syphoned out, I do not agree.

Having not lost any petrol and having the car a lot longer than a while, I still feel it's good idea.

You may not agree with me but you do not have to make it personal.

Where have I got personal? My first response is this thread was aimed at nobody, hence no quotes. You then responded to my comment, joking you were going to come here and pinch my petrol. You're the one who engaged the converstaion with me, not the other way round.

I have kept my points to the capless fuel cap but you have made it personal with many of your remarks, not just to me but to other FMs as well.

Apart from where you joked you were coming to pinch my petrol. Mine, until that point had all been on topic, so you were the one, contrary to what you say, took it "off topic". I also questioned someone who had the temerity to say that I'd said something I hadn't. I'll do that all day long thank you very much.

I am sure you enjoy posting these comments,

I enjoy many things, but this is one of those things that passes the time. To say I enjoy it would be a slight exagerration.

but as the moderator said, lets keep out the bickering

Did the moderator send you a PM as well or would I have to report you for that to happen. Don't worry, I won't do that, I don't let any pseudonym on the internet upset me so much I have to get somebody to stop them hurting my feelings.

and stick to the thread.

I did, you went off topic.

I have not made any direct personal remarks about you or any other FM

Depends what your definition of personal is.

and all of my comments are directed at the thread titles (including MPG).

Apart from where I shown they wasn't.

Thats enough now guys.

Opinions are opinions, but having opinions does not mean you can argue.

Keep it friendly or i will be forced to start issueing warnings.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club