Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Incredibly Stupid Design

Hen Pecked

Its not a stupid design at all. Its actually a very clever and useful design. A design that other car manufacturers are extremely eager to copy.

So you lost a tank of fuel, tell that to the many people who every day wrong fuel their cars. Having just had to push a C Max out of a garage forecourt because the gentleman had filled up with unleaded instead of diesel, I think loosing a tank of fuel is by far the easier option. The staff at the garage say they have two or three minimum a week. that's a lot of lost fuel and labour charges to drain the tank. That's if they don't drive off and cause more damage. This is ford listening to their customers and doing something about it.

Ok so ford could have covered all bases and made the cover lockable, but for a first attempt how were they to know some scum bag would find your car and steal the fuel. In the future no doubt they will fit something to appease you.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hen Pecked

• KeithC

• Strutter

• sparticus5

Well when i brought mine they said, you cannot get the fuel out once its in, and any tampering with eg suger filters straight out....

Makes you wonder why it's taken so long to get to a point where manufacturers are actually starting to make it hard to fill up with the wrong fuel. How come right from the start diesel pumps weren't a completely different size/shape (square? :rolleyes:) etc?

And as for Ford's rationale that you don't have messy filler caps to handle (which are probably cleaner than the pumps themself anyway) - surely you never touch the cap itself? On my old car I just kept hold of the key whilst unlocking/locking the cap. I think the fact that it's not lockable does leave it open for anyone with access to a funnel (or not as it seems from reading comments above!) to dump stuff in your tank, but there again as said if someone wanted to do this they'd find a way anyway. I would have preferred a locking cap though just for peace of mind.

Well when i brought mine they said, you cannot get the fuel out once its in, and any tampering with eg suger filters straight out....

Amazing what a sales rep will tell you. :blink:

Once sugar is mixed with petrol or diesel it cannot be filtered out, It becomes a different compound and would require a complex lab procedure to remove any sugars or other contaminants out.

As for not getting the fuel out, it has been done many times.

Its only a small issue but one that a major manufacturer should have been aware of.

As fuel becomes more expensive, I expect to see many complaints of it being syphoned out of all cars. It just makes it easier if there is no lock. Mine is now locked as is my motorbike.

In Lincolnshire and Humberside, fuel theft is a major concern amongst farmers and industrial estates and it will move onto cars as well.

Makes you wonder why it's taken so long to get to a point where manufacturers are actually starting to make it hard to fill up with the wrong fuel. How come right from the start diesel pumps weren't a completely different size/shape (square? :rolleyes:) etc?

And as for Ford's rationale that you don't have messy filler caps to handle (which are probably cleaner than the pumps themself anyway) - surely you never touch the cap itself? On my old car I just kept hold of the key whilst unlocking/locking the cap. I think the fact that it's not lockable does leave it open for anyone with access to a funnel (or not as it seems from reading comments above!) to dump stuff in your tank, but there again as said if someone wanted to do this they'd find a way anyway. I would have preferred a locking cap though just for peace of mind.

Spot on post. Well said.

Would the perimeter alarm be set off if someone was attempting to tamper with the fuel? I'm not sure how sensitive these things are.

Would the perimeter alarm be set off if someone was attempting to tamper with the fuel? I'm not sure how sensitive these things are.

I dont think the alarm would be set off. The quality of the alarm is as equally shocking as the design of the capless fuel system.

Another disadvantage of the capless system is that it leaks fuel under the car when you overfill even slightly.

Another disadvantage of the capless system is that it leaks fuel under the car when you overfill even slightly.

So you mean to say when I've dispensed 60 litres into a car with a 42 litre tank, I haven't found a magical way of compressing fuel? :unsure:

Just checked on the einginer site tho goes into alot of detail about teh filling system as it been patended...it has a mis-fuelling inhibitor system in place...so Ihave no idea how they siphond the fuel out.

Just checked on the einginer site tho goes into alot of detail about teh filling system as it been patended...it has a mis-fuelling inhibitor system in place...so Ihave no idea how they siphond the fuel out.

From what I can see, the mis-fueling inhibitor is simply a push/open catch that is operated when the correct size nozzle is inserted. Problem is that the correct size nozzle is also the same width as some hose pipes. Makes sense really as Ford supply a small funnel that does the same job.

The contaminates issue is impossible to resolve without a locking cap as it is impossible to differentiate between liquids and items such as sugar.

Some may like the easy open option, but in hindsight, I feel this should have been an option. i.e supply the car with a lockable fuel cap but then the owner has the option to leave it off. That seems the most sensible solution to me.

So you mean to say when I've dispensed 60 litres into a car with a 42 litre tank, I haven't found a magical way of compressing fuel? :unsure:

Well we are all enthusiasts and know the exact volume of our fuel tanks. Some people, however, do not.

I would say leaking fuel near a hot exhaust is never a good combination. IMO a conventional overflow system like all the other cars I have owned would be better.

To quote Ford themselves...

EasyFuel "is not a theft deterrent," says Brian Aitken, supervising engineer of Ford's North American Fuel Systems. A savvy thief could devise a bypass. For those kinds of neighbourhoods, a locking cap is available - which would defeat the ease of EasyFuel.

I still feel that a locking cap should have been a standard fit with the option for people to leave it off if they so wish.

This is pretty dumb..the double spring flap is stiff and would take me longer to get a tube down than me with a screwdriver..bang..flimpsey cap open...tube slides down with nothing to slow it....that would actually take me les time and be easier that trying to mount a carden soft tube thru the flap...sometimes it can be enough of a push to get the right petrol hose in.

This is pretty dumb..the double spring flap is stiff and would take me longer to get a tube down than me with a screwdriver..bang..flimpsey cap open...tube slides down with nothing to slow it....that would actually take me les time and be easier that trying to mount a carden soft tube thru the flap...sometimes it can be enough of a push to get the right petrol hose in.

I agree entirely.

Mountain and molehill spring to mind.

I've not had any problems (security wise) with the easy fuel system on my car but, I have always wondered how difficult it would be for someone to steal fuel through it. Having said that, a determined thief will get the fuel even with a locking cap as they only need to put a screwdriver type of implement through the fuel tank - I've seen this reported a number of times in various newspapers!

Secure or not, it is very interesting to see how Ford USA describe the "Locking Fuel plug" accessory that they have on their accessories website for the Fiesta. It describes the part "Turn tampering away - enhance your peace of mind with this precision-fit fuel plug. Easy on and off at the twist of a key. For Use with Capless Fuel Filler System."

I've not had any problems (security wise) with the easy fuel system on my car but, I have always wondered how difficult it would be for someone to steal fuel through it. Having said that, a determined thief will get the fuel even with a locking cap as they only need to put a screwdriver type of implement through the fuel tank - I've seen this reported a number of times in various newspapers!

Secure or not, it is very interesting to see how Ford USA describe the "Locking Fuel plug" accessory that they have on their accessories website for the Fiesta. It describes the part "Turn tampering away - enhance your peace of mind with this precision-fit fuel plug. Easy on and off at the twist of a key. For Use with Capless Fuel Filler System."

And that is as near as they will ever come to admitting a mistake.

They have announced that the capless will be on all future models so they have to stick with it.

that's not correct ... after removing the locked fuel cap, the double spring flap will still be there ...

Anyway, NOW people have a choice ... with or without ... indeed for some peace of mind.

Our houses are locked too but that doesn't keep thiefs from breaking in ... but still it's a better idea to use a lock on a door than to leave the door(s) open ...

Our houses are locked too but that doesn't keep thiefs from breaking in ... but still it's a better idea to use a lock on a door than to leave the door(s) open ...

I'll bet you very few if any of those thieves overcome a 5 mortice lock in a matter of seconds without some serious hardware. Most break-ins occur due to a thief breaking the glass at the side of your door and using the key which most people have lying nearby, or enter thru the window - with the older type double glazing, you simply remove the outer seal with a screwdriver and lift the whole glass pain out! 30secs and you're in.

Going back to drawing comparison with the lock on your fuel tank - if that lock on your door was of such a feeble design then you may believe it's better to lock your door than leave it open but in reality it makes not one jot of difference, not even the most opportunistic thief armed with nothing more than a paper clip.

Can you confirm if the cap fits the UK spec vehicles, or does it just fit the ones acrross the pond

Once the part arrives I will let you know.

In the meantime, I have researched other owners on various sites who have the same problem. It would appear that the locking cap being sold by Ford North America only fits the US cars. The rim is slightly different due to different pump nozzle dimensions.

Ho hum, its a wait and see situation but it is definitely a world wide issue, even as far as Asia.

Not had my fuel stolen ,so im not worried one bit , is it really that much of a problem , it happens with all cars even with locks.

the locking cap just gives you peace of mind ,but personally it makes no difference at all , if a thieve wants to steal your fuel he will , both systems are just as secure?

I think people (scumbags) like to dill a hole into the petrol tank nowadays. Not tried it myself but it must be better than getting a lung full of petrol.

I have done that(on a scrap car I may add) burn the inside of my mouth. Never again.

• 3 weeks later...

Why then do the vast majority of car manufacturers build cars with lockable lids?

Depends on what you call lockable? Can’t remember the last car I had to use a key to unlock the fuel cap. If you mean the sort where you press a release inside the car, as pointed out in this thread - 2 seconds with a screw driver and you have the flap open, and most modern cars do not have a locking cap.

Incredibly Stupid Design? I don’t think so; I think it’s a great idea but unfortunately in today’s society there will always be a very small chance someone will try to steal your fuel – even with a locking cap.

If you feel the need and it will help you sleep, purchase a locking fuel cap. Me - I like the way I don’t have to !Removed! around with the thing and until the rare chance someone nicks my diesel I think I’ll leave it as it is.

Just to be clear about some points here!

Statistically are you more likely to A, have fuel siphoned out of your car or B have you card cloned and used at a fuel station or your car smashed into etc, Yes it is a bit of an oversight by Ford but at the end of the day i personally am happy with it not locking as i simply arrive once a week at the fuel station open the lid and put the nozzle straight in, Yes maybe one day when in most probally Bristol someone may steal fuel but i believe there is a mesh to stop most common idiets and anyone more advanced that that is either more likely (or stupid) to rob a fuel station directly.

So yes dumb design but a valid point to moan alot about, not really and also Keith you have over 1000 posts and you personally helped me out when choosing to buy my current car so lets give the guy a break he is helpful and he has a right to opinion just like everyone else on the forum!

There is one more point that adds to my argument about the design and that is the growing number of Fiesta owners who are having trouble filling the fuel tanks due to this design.

There is a very good thread on this and it seems that Fords answer is to only put the nozzle in as far as the second ridge and wait 10 seconds after fueling before removing it.

Doesn't seem like and "easyfuel" to me. I think that for one of the largest car manufacturers in the world, Ford could have done a lot better than they did and I feel justified in posting my comments on it.

So far and 6,500 miles into its first year, when my wife lets me drive it I have no complaints apart from the fuel cap. I have yet to test the infamous alloy wheels as we have had on metal ones for the winter, but after all of the warnings on this forum, my wife and I will be driving very carefully around the potholes of Yorkshire.

For a small run around, it is an ideal car and even as a long distance tourer, it is comfortable and roomy if not very frugal.

I’m sorry I really don’t get it…

Ford designs a very simple system which stops you putting petrol in a diesel car and visa versa. Enable you to use the ribs on the nozzle to stop air locks (which is why the ribs are on the nozzle) and makes it so easy you just push the flap and fill.

…So what would you design and call ‘easyfuel’ :huh:

And as for 'not very frugal' 60 mpg from my 1.4 which has done 20.000 miles in 17 months with no problems, only time its been in the garage was the annual service. :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club