Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Incredibly Stupid Design

Hen Pecked

I’m sorry I really don’t get it…

Ford designs a very simple system which stops you putting petrol in a diesel car and visa versa. Enable you to use the ribs on the nozzle to stop air locks (which is why the ribs are on the nozzle) and makes it so easy you just push the flap and fill.

…So what would you design and call ‘easyfuel’ :huh:

And as for 'not very frugal' 60 mpg from my 1.4 which has done 20.000 miles in 17 months with no problems, only time its been in the garage was the annual service. :D

Firstly, anyone who cannot tell the difference between petrol and diesel should not be filling up cars.

Secondly, you are driving a diesel car which is totally different to the 1.4 petrol auto. Had Ford offered a diesel auto, that would have been a very different story.

And as I am not alone in having these problems,(it is a problem world wide that has prompted Ford to admit the issue and offer a retro fit lockable fuel cap) it seems a fair topic to discuss.

I am however happy that you do not have any problems with your Fiesta. It is always good to see people satisfied with their choice.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hen Pecked

• KeithC

• Strutter

• sparticus5

it's quite easy to get the two mixed around when you drive several different cars each day. that happens to many more people than have their fuel stolen because of the lack of a locking fuel cap for example :unsure:

The 10 reg Astra hire car does not have a lockable flap or the screw cap inside either.But it does have a gaping hole that the pump fits into.

it's quite easy to get the two mixed around when you drive several different cars each day. that happens to many more people than have their fuel stolen because of the lack of a locking fuel cap for example :unsure:

How difficult can it be?

The pumps are different colours, they have the type of fuel in LARGE letters on the pumps and they smell different.

I too used to drive different vehicles on the same day, diesel, petrol and two stroke, but even as an a decrepit OAP, I have never mixed up my fuels.

If the cap was not a problem, there would not be so many forums discussing it.

And as I linked, Ford themselves have admitted it is a problem and are offering a retro fix.

I know that some FMs like to have a go at the OPs of threads they do not agree with, but this is a universal issue that Ford admit.

its a none issue for me.

just get on with it and drive your cars.

Lock it (the thread I mean)

How difficult can it be?

The pumps are different colours, they have the type of fuel in LARGE letters on the pumps and they smell different.

I too used to drive different vehicles on the same day, diesel, petrol and two stroke, but even as an a decrepit OAP, I have never mixed up my fuels.

If the cap was not a problem, there would not be so many forums discussing it.

And as I linked, Ford themselves have admitted it is a problem and are offering a retro fix.

I know that some FMs like to have a go at the OPs of threads they do not agree with, but this is a universal issue that Ford admit.

As a mod...

I've finally got fed up. NOBODY is having a go at you. This is a discussion forum - the nature of discussion is that there are two opposing points of view. Just because people do not agree with you, does not make your point any less valid - and not everyone who disagrees with you is abusing you either.

From a personal point of view...

There are much greater security concerns to me than worrying about a £50 tank of fuel being taken. It's a piece of cake to take alloy wheels with locking nuts and number plates (which can lead to much, much more serious problems) - are Ford to blame for this as well?

I find the easy fuel fantastic. A locking fuel cap would make the keyless entry system I have in my car a complete waste of time. As it is, the keys stay in my pocket the whole time and I find filling up a breeze.

Lock it (the thread I mean)

We are going round in circles rather - but we're not at that point yet as far as I'm concerned. :)

As a mod...

I've finally got fed up. NOBODY is having a go at you. This is a discussion forum - the nature of discussion is that there are two opposing points of view. Just because people do not agree with you, does not make your point any less valid - and not everyone who disagrees with you is abusing you either.

There are much greater security concerns to me than worrying about a £50 tank of fuel being taken. It's a piece of cake to take alloy wheels with locking nuts and number plates (which can lead to much, much more serious problems) - are Ford to blame for this as well?

I find the easy fuel fantastic. A locking fuel cap would make the keyless entry system I have in my car a complete waste of time. As it is, the keys stay in my pocket the whole time and I find filling up a breeze.

As a "Mod", you should be ashamed of this reply and reconsider your position.

Just because you do not agree, does not give you the right to be insulting.

If you read the entire thread, you will find at a certain point, it became personal and several FMs seem to enjoy it.

You as a Moderator should have been doing your job and watching out for such posts instead of openly posting a rude, personal rebuke.

This is meant to be a Ford forum and not a forum for a few mates who hold the same opinion.

As I said, you should consider your position as a moderator.

Fine - I'll bow out of this one and let the other mods deal with it.

I'm sorry Hen-Pecked, but i stand with Dan on this.

People are stating their personal opinions and offering another side of the arguement. Nobody is abusing you and i find the sadest thing of all is that nobody here can be the "bigger man", and accept that some people may have different views to yourself.

This is not a forum for a few mates as you put it, its a forum pretty much run by Ford enthusiasts FOR Ford enthusiasts. We do not over moderate, close threads for no aparent reason or hand out warnings and bans willy nilly. We try to keep it light and friendly but the users of the site need to realise this and co-operate.

This forum would be nothing without the users and we thank them for this.

As for you saying we mods should "do our job properly", i do hope you realise that this is not a paid position, we have volunteered and contributed to the site, some of us for quite a few years, and we also have other things to do. We cannot sit infront of the computer monitering this site all day.

If you feel a moderator has acted unfairly towards you, i urge you to write a complaint and PM to Steve, forum owner, or post in the relevant section so it can be reviewed by the admin.

As a mod...

5 times I've read that quote and not once have I seen where it can be deemed insulting, not even close and for someone who has been on the site "10 minutes" to suggest that Dan should be ashamed and resign from his position as mod because of it is nothing but embarrassing and ludicrous.

I wasn't going to add to this thread again due to a warning I received, of which I still think was over the top, but I'm sorry, there's only one person in this thread that needs to look at themselves and their approach to the forum. It seems that certain people feel that an opposing view is an insultive view and a personal dig.

It looks like their going backwards.

Even my Ford Fiesta from 1997 has a locking fuel cap as standard!

How difficult can it be?

The moderator should reconsider his position - ha! ha! ha! best laugh I've had in ages. You tell 'em Hen Pecked.

A decrepit OAP eh? (you're the one who said it). You yourself may hold an honours degree in fuelling cars at the pump, the problem is Ford have to make cars for all us 'ordinary' folk. There are literally thousands of articles and stats which prove filling up with the wrong fuel is a common occurrence - surely Ford should be applauded for at least trying to tackle the problem? eg:

An estimated 120,000 drivers put the wrong fuel in their car every year - about 13 an hour - and end up paying out a total of £50million in repair bills. Cases of filling up with the wrong fuel are so common that the AA and RAC have dedicated patrols to help motorists who have done this.

Read more:

Well unless this thread stays on track from now on i shall just close it down.

In my view there has been NO abuse/insults in this thread but if any appear, thread will be closed and warnings/bannings will be issued.

So again please, can we all keep on topic.

It looks like their going backwards.

Even my Ford Fiesta from 1997 has a locking fuel cap as standard!

Opinions differ, i consider it going forward.

Firstly, anyone who cannot tell the difference between petrol and diesel should not be filling up cars.

Just because you do not agree, does not give you the right to be insulting

Two quotes from the same person ...need we say more?

Thread is now closed

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club