Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Ford Fiesta 1.25 or 1.4 ?

Azil

Hello everyone,

I have been searching for some days now for a new small car since the old one was wrecked in a car accident. Well, I was looking into used cars since I do not have the money at the moment for a new one. now here's the deal. I narrowed my search down to two ford fiestas. They are bot 2007 model (facelifted mk6), 5 doors , ambiente edition , with around 10k kilometers on the odometer and cost both 9k euros. The only difference between these two is that one has a 1.25 litre engine while the other has a 1.4 litre.

Now my question. While the 1.4 litre delivers 7 more bhp (82 vs 75) does the 1.4 litre engine have a noticeable difference in performance and fuel economy? I will mainly be driving in the city so fuel economy is my top concern. On the other hand if the 1.4 is considerably faster and the fuel mileage isn't that much shorter it would probably be the wiser choice since they both cost the same.

I would appreciate some info on this matter cause I couldn't get any info by miself.

In advance, thank you very much,

Simon

1.4 mate the 1.25 will be far to slow and the fuel consumpsion is about the same.You will probably get a better mpg out of the 1.4 .

7bhp ain't gonna make all that difference, your only gonna feel it in 5th gear and maybe when you've got a/c on.

i test drove both and did a bridge test where i live, basically floor it from some traffic lights and see what you get at the bridge a bit down the road. in the 1.25 and 1.4 i got the same speed (85). in my dads 1.6 focus i got 82 (56 plate)

the ford dealer brochure has the 1.25 and 1.4 at the same combined mpg, but if your in the city its obvious a 1.25 is gonna be more economical stood in lights and never really getting over 30.

talking to the dealers at ford, people insist on having the 1.4 but can never understand why as they test drive them in the 1.25 and always comment on how punchy the engine is...

Id go for the 1.25, thats what ive got, and if you really wanted that extra 7bhp? it could be done easily on the 1.25, ive had mine since 2007 and had no problems at all (exept a woman crashing into me but thats not the cars fualt)

and the 1.25 would probably be slightly better fuel economy around the city too.

Thank you very much guys for the answers. I was going for the 1.25 but got the 1.4 instead. Can get it this monday from my local dealership and I like the color better (a nice light blue). Anyway, it's a really nice car and I think I'l be happy with it, (drove it around a bit, pretty impressed all I can say :D )

If your going to be doing any motorway miles the 1.4 is a better choice as the 1.25 is a bit underpowered. ( so in my opinion you made the right choice, my mate has a 1.25 and says he hates it when he drives down the motorway as it's 'just not got any shove to it' ).

As for the "bridge test" i'd hardly say it qualifies as being decisive in chosing a particular engine size but each to their own i suppose! ( reminds me of rodney trotter in the 3 wheeler! )

• 6 years later...

hello I am new here I have got the same question
with addition which engine is more reliable ???

I want to buy Fiesta from 2006 upto 2008 with aircon.

1.4 have got more torque at lower RPM, I think for me it is good but I am not an expert.

I don't expect a lot I just need a reliable economical car.
I need a car to drive in the city in weekdays,
but sometimes I like to go for longer journeys on motorways.

So what is better for me 1.25 or 1.4 and which is reliability of those engines is there any difference or not ?

• 8 months later...

Hello I bought Fiesta Zetec 1.4 petrol from 2006 and I am happy enough.
It gives me enough power and engine have left a lots of life in it.
I done so far 1,000 miles and now I have 60,000 which is not a lot for such kind of engine I think.

(I know this has already been answered) the 1.25 engine is more refined and smoother but 'if' you carry passengers the 1.4 makes a difference. I had the 1.4 up till March this year and used to get 45 - 48 mpg from ours, we bought it with 9000 miles on it and traded it in at 101,5000 still going strong

1.4 have quite different power band than 1.25

I prefer 1.4 because gives decent torque from 3,000-3,500 revs,
I do not wind it more at most cases.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club