Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Interpreting Trouble Code

Evolve

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so be gentle on me!

I recently bought a 2006 Focus 1.6tdci after having owned a succession of unreliable Volkswagens. The car had 78k on the clock and I've done a further 2k since I got it. This week the check engine light came on so I borrowed a mechanic friend's handheld diagnostic tool and plugged it in. It read the following code:

P2002 generic

Particulate trap eff below threshold bank

Any ideas what this is referring to? I'm unsure as to whether or not my car has a dpf fitted. For the first couple of weeks after I got the car it would on occasion loose power and start "juddering" at motorway speeds. If I knocked off the engine and then restarted it it would be absolutely fine again. Any ideas?

Other than this and a water leak that I've since fixed I have to say I really love the car, way more comfortable than my VWs which gave me backache on a long journey!

I would say by the year of car and the error you probably do have the DPF. ring your local dealer give them the reg / vin they will confirm if you definately have it. restarting will temporarily clear the code, until it picks it up again.

Could be that it needs an eolys topup and a regen (presuming you have the DPF), otherwise start by changing the fuel filter.

Thanks Jeebo.

I will go to the dealers tomorrow and get them to check if it has a dpf with the vin on the computer as you've said. I don't have much faith in my local dealer though as last time I was in and asked the service manager about the dpf he didn't know what one was...! Knowing my luck it will have one and it will be buggered. The check engine light came back on today anyway so we'll see what they say.

While I'm here, anyone have any advice on opening/breaking into the bonnet, as my key is just turning in the lock and not doing anything!

Thanks Jeebo.

I will go to the dealers tomorrow and get them to check if it has a dpf with the vin on the computer as you've said. I don't have much faith in my local dealer though as last time I was in and asked the service manager about the dpf he didn't know what one was...! Knowing my luck it will have one and it will be buggered. The check engine light came back on today anyway so we'll see what they say.

While I'm here, anyone have any advice on opening/breaking into the bonnet, as my key is just turning in the lock and not doing anything!

As far as I know some people have had to break into the bonnet through the grill and mess about with the latch, there was a post somewhere in the back catalogue of threads here, but if its in at the garage anyway, ask them what the cost would be...

Well after looking through some previous threads here I managed to get the bonnet open today. I had to press very hard on the key whilst turning it and simultaneously press down hard on the bonnet above the lock mechanism to coincide with each turn of the key. The White barrel with the rubber grommet at the inside end of the cable tube appears to have been bodged previously as it has had a couple of screws wellied in either side of it. Kinda looks like a Tim Burton character...

image.jpg

So the previous owner(s) have obviously had trouble with this too.

Didn't get to speak to the dealers today regarding confirming whether or not I have a dpf as thy were closed, most likely hung over from yesterday's festivities. Will go in the morning and report back.

how long ago did you buy it? if it was a matter of just a few weeks, you can take the car back under the sales of good act and they have to fix it under warranty.

I didn't purchase the car from the dealer unfortunately.

I've just spoken with them and they've confirmed that it does have a dpf, oh joy. It needs a top up and regen. I'm in Ireland and interestingly the first thing he asked me was "was it originally a UK car?", which it was. Seems that it is VERY rare to get an originally Irish supplied car fitted with a dpf. Any they have seen have all been on cars that originated in the UK (There is a big market here for 2nd hand UK cars). Wonder why they were fitted in the UK and not here? Anyway, need to book it in for the work, will let you know how it goes.

Evolve,

welcome to the forum, just a word of advice and warning. The car is 5 years old, how far off being six year old only you know. Now Fords maintenance schedule advises the DPF be replaced at it's sixth year service, or every 75k. You bought at 78k and added 2K giving you 80k, so you are on borrowed time with the DPF. Now if I was a betting man [which I am] I bet your motor has gone into limp home mode before, previous owner took it to a Ford Dealers. Where he learned his motor had a DPF and that it was due renewing. After being told how much it would cost, he opted to have the cheaper dealer induced "forced regeneration" done, and promptly move the motor on.

So given your already on borrowed time so to speak, DPF wise [AS IT WILL NEED REPLACING AT SOME POINT] you could end up paying for a forced regen on an already knackered DPF. So it may turn out to be a waste of money. So it may be a better option to put the cost of a forced regen towards having a new DPF fitted now with of course the Eloy's top up. Of course only you can make that decision.

It's fair to assume Fords will have built a bit of time into when they expect a DPF to fail, and so have it scheduled to be changed in the maintenance cycle prior to it's expected failure....hence the 6 year or 75k service as against at the 87.5k or 7 year service.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck mate

catch

Thanks Catch. It would appear that I, like so many others I suspect, have stumbled into a right old mess when I opted to purchase a "reliable" focus. Don't know what to do now. I've been unemployed for the last couple of years and started studying again in Belfast and I commute 50miles there and 50miles back every day so that's why I went for the focus, reliability and fuel economy. Before this I've had a succession of lemons, the last two being mk 4 golfs which were both pigs and cost me a fortune in repair bills. I really can't afford to be fixing cars all the time, again hence plumpIng for the reliable focus. So do I Shell out for a new dpf, roughly how much is this? Do I sell it on and let someone else deal with it, as was probably done before I got it? Can it be removed alltogether? Think I read a post about someone doing that on here. Cutting the fu*ker off and have the ecu remapped to suit is really appealing to me right now! Fun fun fun

Yes your not alone, I blindly stumbled into the purchase of a DPF fitted car. A 4.25 year old Volvo S40 with 57k on the clock, so after 9 months and 63k on the clock, I moved it on to avoid the £1000 mile service. But to be totally honest it did not give me a moments trouble. And after reading about expensive replacement costs, and then there is the Dual Mass Flywheel [smooths out the vibrations generated by diesel engines]that have been known to give problems. I went back to a petrol motor because my low mileage would not generate enough fuel costs savings to offset likely extra costs of running a DPF fitted diesel.

As to removing the DPF altogether, that is a legal can of worms, that would put you on the wrong side of the law, DVLC wise. And also on the wrong side of your insurance company [ they are always looking for reasons to null and void your insurance when they are confronted with a large claim by you or a third party whom you may collide with.

There is the independent / main dealer route of replacing the DPF SEE THIS THREAD

Thanks for that link Catch, it made for interesting reading.

Well I've had some quotes for both replacement and removal of the dpf. A ford main dealer in Belfast quoted £1149 for replacement. A ford main dealer in Dublin quoted €1650(!) for replacement. A very reputable independent garage and tuning house http://www.chippedire.com/ quoted €550 for removal of dpf and reprogramming of ecu. This includes a written guarantee that the car will still pass the NCT (our equivalent of the MOT). I understand what you are saying about the insurance company looking for any excuse not to pay up in the event of a claim, but I don't see how it would be a matter for the insurance company as it does not materially affect the performance or safety of the vehicle. The insurance company can swivel on it as far as I'm concerned.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the removal. Even if I have the filter replaced and eloys top up (not included in those main dealer quotes btw) I'm still looking at a regen and top up again in 37.5k and another filter replacement and top up when I reach 150k. Considering I plan on keeping this car for the forseeable (can't afford to do otherwise) and my yearly mileage is ca. 24k I would be saving myself an awful lot of money down the road if I have the filter removed now, assuming that the removal is a success and proves reliable. But I see no reason why it shouldnt be.

Thanks for that link Catch, it made for interesting reading.

Well I've had some quotes for both replacement and removal of the dpf. A ford main dealer in Belfast quoted £1149 for replacement. A ford main dealer in Dublin quoted €1650(!) for replacement. A very reputable independent garage and tuning house http://www.chippedire.com/ quoted €550 for removal of dpf and reprogramming of ecu. This includes a written guarantee that the car will still pass the NCT (our equivalent of the MOT). I understand what you are saying about the insurance company looking for any excuse not to pay up in the event of a claim, but I don't see how it would be a matter for the insurance company as it does not materially affect the performance or safety of the vehicle. The insurance company can swivel on it as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately Evolve, your incorrect on the affect of the performance. it does infact improve performance... The reason is that the DPF is no longer increasing the pressure that is being placed on the engine and the turbo. Because there is no longer an obstruction in the exhaust system, the engine works less to get the same performance, so higher up the revs, it gets more of a kick. Many people who removed the DPF noticed a performance increase immediately.

I think you may find it useful to take a look at my thread http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18241 in which I did a lot of investigation on the removal of DPF and I came across a few interesting points. Some of it may help you decide, and might give you a bit more information on exactly what can and cant be done and benefited from it! I found in the end that technically speaking, in the UK its illegal to have the DPF removed (as far as the Department For Transport is concerned. On the basis that you are modifying the car and increasing emmissions. But technically anyone who adds a filter, and a turbo to a spec car will be breaking the same law, so its not exactly gospel!

If it helps you decide then it means my work hasnt gone to waste :)

Thanks Jeebo. Another interesting read.

I think I will follow your lead and contact the Department of Transport and the Department of the Environment here and enquire as to the legalities of removal in this neck of the woods. My prediction? They won't even respond to my enquiry!

I think I will follow your lead and contact the Department of Transport and the Department of the Environment here and enquire as to the legalities of removal in this neck of the woods. My prediction? They won't even respond to my enquiry!

Probably so true, but its worth asking. at least if you have an email saying Yes, and a roadside test tuts with a no, then you have a defence!

Probably so true, but its worth asking. at least if you have an email saying Yes, and a roadside test tuts with a no, then you have a defence!

Good luck and will be interesting to see what they say. I wonder if there stories will be straight?!?!?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club