Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Au-Revoir Focus!

jeebowhite

Well after the runt of the focus litter has irritated me for the last 2 years with large bills, loss of reliability, and loss of trust. My friendly bank have been generous with there loans and I have now put down a deposit on a 1.6 Kia Cee'd. 6 years of its 7 year warranty left where everything bar the consumables are covered!

Excellent build quality and a great deal for your money! So bye bye Ford, and hello Kia!

Maybe Ford should bang heads with Kia for some good ideas!

Sounds good ironically my local Ford Dealer is also the agent for Kia haha.

Sorry to see you go mate, but here's to many happy repair bill free years [brake pads and discs aside]

Out of interest what trim is it in and how much did it cost, and what did you get for the pup from hell.

Oh and we expect piccies and the like, with your opinions on its ride qualities....so don't be buggering of the face of the forum ...ya hear ;)

petrol or diesel ?

LOL, well as for Ford and Kia, there is a strange combination!

As for disappearing from the forum, you dont get rid of me that easily ;) I will be sticking around to offer my ocassional words of wisdom when accurate, and using the pears of first hand knowledge to assist other unfortunate folk, so I may be long gone with the Ford, but we wont have heard the last of me!

Sorry to see you go mate, but here's to many happy repair bill free years [brake pads and discs aside]

and thats the best bit! 6 years of no more worries, and with my "fortune" with cars, the warranty will definately help!

Out of interest what trim is it in and how much did it cost, and what did you get for the pup from hell.

Pup From Hell is estimated at £4000 trade in value. I think because its the ZC range, and Euro 4 compliant appears to be in its favour - I was estimating a trade in value of no less than three so will be pleasantly surprised if they do part ex for £4000!

As for the Ceed, its a 2010 Cee'd (2 trim) Pictures are on the dealers site : http://used.kia.co.uk/vehicle/1181390?r_num=6&ls.show=dealer&ls.dealer_id=1443&ls.logged=false&ls.c.modelgroups=8240,8548,8524

car was 9995, knocked £300 off the price, and for that I get:

Interior

•Digital Clock & Calendar Display (Centre Console Display) | •Outside Temperature Gauge (Centre Console Display) | •Sunvisors with Vanity Mirrors (Sliding Mirror Covers) | •Sunvisor Ticket Holders | •3 Grab Handles (Front & Rear) | •Rear Coat Hook |•Centre Cabin Light | •Door Map Pockets | •Luggage Area Light | •Front Door Courtesy Reflectors | •60:40 Split Folding Rear Seats | •Driver's Seat Height & Lumbar Adjust with Active Headrest |•Tilt & Telescopic Steering Wheel | Sliding & Reclining Front Passenger Seat |•Front Passenger Seat Lumbar Support and Active Headrest | •Height Adjustable Headrests (x5) | 6 Speaker Audio System | USB & AUX Port

|•Metallic Centre fasia | •Full Cloth Seats (Silver Interior) | •Drivers Footrest | •Front Floor Console Storage Box With Armrest |•Glovebox Ticket and Pen Holder | Exterior |•Body Coloured Bumpers |•Body Coloured Rear Garnish (Above number plate) | •Tinted Glass

•Heated Rear Windshield | Rear Wiper / Washer | Body Coloured Door Mirrors | Body Coloured Door Handles | 16" Alloy Wheels | Black Bezel Headlamps | Front Fog Lights | Michelin Tyres V-let Energy Saver Tyres | Temporary Spare Wheel | Chrome Grille | Roof Mounted Aerial | Functional Electric Power Steering | Front Seatbelt Reminder Warning | Front Cupholders |•Variable Intermittent 2-speed Wipers | •Integrated CD Audio with MP3 Player | Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls | •Air Conditioning | Air Filter | Multi Speed Heater System - Rotary Type | Electrically Adjustable Heated Door Mirrors | Rear Cupholders | Front Electric Windows + Safety ( Auto up and down with sensor) | •Steering Wheel Mounted Trip Computer | Lane Change Signal on Indicator | Cooled Glove Box |

Safety & Security

•ABS With EBD | Immobiliser | Impact Sensing Auto Door Unlocking | Speed Sensing Auto Door Locking | Centre Fascia Mounted Door Locking Switch | Passenger Airbag Cut-off Switch | 6 Airbags - Twin Front, Side and Full Length Curtain | Front Seatbelt Height Adjustment | ront | Seatbelt Pre-tensioners and Load-limiters | ISOFIX Top Tethers and Lower Anchor Points | Headlamp Levelling Device | Remote Central Door Locking with Alarm and Folding Key | Internal Fuel Flap Release | Deadlocks

Engine

Engine Type: 1.6 CVVT 16 Valve Euro IV | Displacement: 1591cc | Bore x Stroke: 77 X 85.44mm | Compression: Power: 125 bhp @ 6300 rpm

| Torque: 154 Nm @ 4200 rpm | Acceleration (0-62 mph): 10.4 secs | Maximum Speed (where law permits): 119 mph | Insurance Group: 17

| VED Band: F

Fuel Consumption (urban): 36.6 mpg

Fuel Consumption (extra urban): 54.8 mpg

Fuel Consumption (combined): 46.3 mpg

CO2 Emissions: 146g/km

Only difference is thats the 2011 builds, fuel consumption on motorways is expected to be 54.4 MPG!

Oh and we expect piccies and the like, with your opinions on its ride qualities....so don't be buggering of the face of the forum ...ya hear

Will put proper pictures on later!

EDIT: Thats Better! Tidied up the massive list so that it doesnt take you a millenium or three to get to the bottom of the forum!

Engine Type: 1.6 CVVT 16 Valve Euro IV | Displacement: 1591cc | Bore x Stroke: 77 X 85.44mm | Compression: Power: 125 bhp @ 6300 rpm

| Torque: 154 Nm @ 4200 rpm | Acceleration (0-62 mph): 10.4 secs | Maximum Speed (where law permits): 119 mph | Insurance Group: 17

| VED Band: F

Insurance group 17 seems very high to me.

Ah you are going the petrol route,

well there you go then, reliable trouble free motoring.........you could have got a Focus petrol.

But that said, the car your getting looks nice, if a little Korean, but some would argue so does the new Focus.

And if I'm being honest, I prefer the look of the Mk2.5 Focus to the Ceed...are you sure your doing the right thing

Edit: Insurance is group six on Auto Trader SEE HERE

Here you go Down Your Neck Of The Woods

Come on now jeeb be honest, which looks to have more road presence, and whilst we know the Ceed is a good car it cannot match the drive of the Focus.

Look my motor is 5 years and 5 months old, and I don't think it has ailed anything in it's life. Other than the water in Spark plugs issue [£26 in parts put that right] OK my early model had rusting front wheel arches, but that was sorted on mine for little money, and is not a problem on the Mk2.5

Had a look at the new Focus the other week, I did not find its looks off putting, but the wife did. Mind you the boots a lot smaller, but I like the sound of the quicker 1.6 SCTi 0-62 in 8.6 seconds. But you know what, I may just plump for a Mk2.5 when the time comes to change. But as I cannot seeing my present Focus playing up , that decision could be another three years down the road.

OK you had a bad one, but I've had two Focus and one Mondeo out of my last four cars, and none of them have cost me anything other than what was considered normal to replace....just take a moment to think about it before you jump ship.

Edit: I tell a lie, the last Focus needed a new wheel bearing at 75k but it was eight years old then, and it only cost me £50 fitted. Only swapped it because some prat wrote it off. Mondeo, I had that nine years, had it from being a year old, cost me now't. But when the original clutch went at 80k I scrapped it, because the doors were rusting at the bottoms. But that was a 95 reg car, and even Fords have improved rust wise compared to back then.

I agree that the looks of the Cee'd are not quite as "tarty" as the focus! not meant in a bad way I do like the look of the focus, but then again, the appearance of the car is average - good (cee'd that is!) but then again, its not the appearance I am after! the real turning points are the 7 year warranty, the functionality, and the accessories inside!

As for the Focus, my runt has put me off a little, but then again I was considering the focus, but again the 7 year warranty drew me in! I know its a boring point to return to, but safe in the knowledge that for the next 6 years / 80,000 miles, if something expensive goes "POP" then its covered!!

Now in my focus I have had to replace in two years, the Alternator, The Water Pump and the Bonnet Catch, the Locking Wheel Nuts (Twice), the Fuel Filter housing... plus the worries with the DPF issues and the required Forced Regen - its money and hair loss I could have done without!

I did very much want to spend a long time with the Blue Oval at the bottom of my feet, but then I think they are overpriced for average cars. Granted the car I am getting isnt dirt cheap, but its still very reliable and easy to work with!

My Conclusion - If Ford offered a larger warranty (even if it is just 5 years as opposed to 7 or 10 as vauxhall do) I would have considered the newer focus. But then Again, KIA let you transfer whatever warranty is left to the next owner... Cant see any of the others doing that (vauxhalls 100,000 10 year warranty is only for the original owner of the new car!!!)

In Conclusion, the focus looks good, handles good, and is fairly trustworthy.

The Cee'd looks alright, handles good, and has already earned my trust and respect before I have gotten into the driver seat!!!

Jeeb,

forgive me, I was playing the "Devils Advocate" just to make sure you had given it plenty thought. And it looks like you certainly have, weighing up your experiences and looking at the pros and cons on paper of both models.

You have made the right choice in your eyes, and no one can argue with your observations regarding the six year warranty that you will be picking up along with the Ceed.

When do you pick it up, I bet you cannot wait :)

Jeeb,

forgive me, I was playing the "Devils Advocate" just to make sure you had given it plenty thought. And it looks like you certainly have, weighing up your experiences and looking at the pros and cons on paper of both models.

You have made the right choice in your eyes, and no one can argue with your observations regarding the six year warranty that you will be picking up along with the Ceed.

When do you pick it up, I bet you cannot wait :)

Lol, already getting excited like a kid in a candy shop! lol, and dont worry, I didnt think you were being malicious or any other such behaviour. your certainly right though, a great deal of thought has gone into this! as you say weighing up experience, and benefits. I even subscribed to a KIA forum well in advance and researched the last years worth of posts to see what problems were present across this range of car! maybe a little sad, lol, but I didnt want to walk into my next purchase blind as I did for the focus!

We shall see how the test drive goes, who knows it could turn my stomach with butterflies or otherwise, but we shall see! However it goes, I need another car, as mine is no longer trustworthy, so if I come back to the focus, who knows?? lol

No heated front screen. :(

No heated front screen. :(

Thats the only real disappointment in this car! but then again I lived without it before... lol

Jeeb we've had our convo's but i just have to come in and play my trump card as per ... 10plate kia picanto or picknose what ever they call them was down the road today with the bonnet up and the AA there :P i really couldn't resist lmao

LOL, thats fair enough! having said that I have spent my fair share of time on the roadside (2 hours of over winter with -5 degrees on the side of a motorway!!!) I wouldnt go for the picanto way too small and too easy to push around on the roads ;)

LOL, thats fair enough! having said that I have spent my fair share of time on the roadside (2 hours of over winter with -5 degrees on the side of a motorway!!!) I wouldnt go for the picanto way too small and too easy to push around on the roads ;)

Yeah there fun to crush onto the pavement when 2 lanes merge :P after 5 weeks the mazda's starer motor packed up on the drive failed connection apparently these jap cars aren't all there cracked up to be haha say jap its just a mk2 focus built in Hiroshima. hope the kia goes well after all if its good enough for top gear ;)

I work at a large ford dealership and we have attached to it a large KIA dealership one of largest in area.

Edge, your right about the !Removed!, there old cars used to be a lot better, but for a company with great technology, its not the best when put into a car!!

adzmcp, since you attached to the kia, how many potential ford customers end up walking away with a KIA? It would be interesting to see when you have the three year dealership vs seven year!

You would be surprised not many. A lot ofpeople do still have badge in mind. That said ford has had a bad march where KIA is on fire just at our place there have sold nearly 4x more cars than us. Tonnes of sportage and piccanto. Rio is not a good seller and neither is the 7 seat people carrier. Soul sells ok and ceed sells best in 5 door form

Not too bad then, but the fact the Ford side is suffering to the Kia side, isnt the greatest for Ford I suppose. but as you say, most people walk in with the badge in mind, so maybe the 7 year cee'd against the 3 year focus (for warranties) I guess makes no odds to most customers...

Don't get me wrong ka customers we have lost to picanto and kuga customers have been lost to sportage but we have not lost one customer looking at a Fiesta to KIA. We don't lose many focus customers either unless they drive the mk1 focus.

This seems pretty straight forward to me. Jeebowhite bought a Focus that turned out to be not very reliable and has had enough and bought a different make car. I would have done exactly the same if it was me and I don't think a petrol Kia will give you any cause for concern.

This seems pretty straight forward to me. Jeebowhite bought a Focus that turned out to be not very reliable and has had enough and bought a different make car. I would have done exactly the same if it was me and I don't think a petrol Kia will give you any cause for concern.

Totally agree,

Jeeb buys a 2005 reg Focus 1.6 TDCi with a fair few miles on the clock at four years old. And having owned it for 24 months, and after having to chuck a load of money at it, he loses faith in it and calls it a day.

I on the other hand buy a 2005 reg Focus 1.6 petrol, with 37,300 miles on the clock, also at four years old. After 18 months of ownership I have spent in total on repairs £26.

Well to be honest Ford should have paid for that because it was a case of the washer jet gaskets letting water into the engine compartment, then into the spark plug wells [a design fault] And to be honest you should be able to just buy and fit the two new revised gaskets separately, without having to buy two heated washer jets along with them. Then the cost would have been about £1. So it should have been a "recall" really. But as always the first build of any model is actually just a proving prototype. This is the build,on which manufactures find out what parts are not up to the job. Same will apply to the first build of the new Mk3 Focus.

Moral of the story is: Don't buy a modern four year onwards TDCi with plenty miles on the clock. If your pocket dictates you have to look in the 4 to 6 year age bracket, go petrol, besides you can buy a year younger because you avoid the diesel price premium.......simples :)

Yes quite, when I had my BMW M3 I never worried about its reliability or longevity in the way that I have nagging doubts that one day my TDCI will go wrong and cost a pitful of money to put right (even though it is a non dpf model diesel injectors and DMF's are still probleamtic). Hence why at this moment in time I would NEVER buy another diesel unless I did starship mileages.

Yeah my car was three year old with 38,000 on the clock - unfortunately I was young, Naive, and thought Ford where nice and didnt put tat into there car... And then it hit me... The guys here told me what a DPF was!

I think that the car is just a pain in the jacksey, and I clearly bought the runt of the litter - thats not to say that all Focus' are like that, but that, combined with the dealer, combined with my new found hatred of the DPF - means I cant sit in the front seat of a Focus anymore...

the thing that really did grind on me, was I popped to Ford one day and asked them to take a look and value my car as I was hoping to trade it in (didnt say I was going to get a Ford or otherwise) I was told that all the sales team were all too busy with other customers to spend two minutes looking at my car (even though I saw 2 sales reps playing spin the pen on their desk!)

That was the final straw for Ford...

Catch and many others here have bought very good cars, but then again, I think it could be as much to do with Mileage, as Catch doesnt do too many miles so that will help...

I forgot to mention, that I took the car for a test drive on sunday and really like it, so I shall be disappearing back there on saturday and will definiately be waving bye bye to my focus... I doubt I will look back as I am driving away...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club