Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk3 1.8 Burning Oil

dave h

Hi all, my neighbour has a mondeo mk3 52 plate 1.8 petrol and is burning loads of oil and smoking realy bad, we have taken all 4 sparks out and all 4 are wet with oil. I would have thought if it was a ring problem it would have been just 1 or 2 cylinders and not all 4. Is there anything that is common to all 4 or can anyone think of anything that i should be checking. Many thanks Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, my neighbour has a mondeo mk3 52 plate 1.8 petrol and is burning loads of oil and smoking realy bad, we have taken all 4 sparks out and all 4 are wet with oil. I would have thought if it was a ring problem it would have been just 1 or 2 cylinders and not all 4. Is there anything that is common to all 4 or can anyone think of anything that i should be checking. Many thanks Dave

is it making and noises or rattles ??

Hi no noises or rattles but uses fom max to min on dipstick in less than 100 miles and all four plugs are wet with oil. Thanks Dave

If you can, do a cylinder leakage test or a compression test.

If doing a compression test, each cylinder will probably show low/no compression in your case. put a little oil in each cylinder and do the test again. If compression is normal then its the piston rings. If it is still low then its the top end (valve guides, head gasket etc.) thats the problem. Hope this helps!

You could try checking or replacing the PCV valve, if its blocked it will cause excessive oil pressure which could be forcing the oil past the valve stem seals. Its a cheap and simple thing to try but in all likelyhood depending on the mileage it does sound like the valve stem oil seals are to blame and as you said if it was a ring problem you wouldn't expect it on all cylinders.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Did you resolve this?

Mine`s behaving the same.

• 7 years later...

oil burner mondeos are scrap im afraid happened to my 2006 1.8 duratec in 2018 its the end repair would cost more then the car is worth, probarly abused not serviced yearly 

On 3/20/2011 at 8:20 PM, dave h said:

Once you have resolved where the oil is going . Valve guides , piston rings  , etc . FORTE do some oil additive at very little cost and might be worth considering , there are lots of additives out there , some are rubbish and you have to be careful if they will be compatible to the engine.  For example some engine's have hydraulic valves that might be affected  with some of the additives . Also if oil is leaking from oil seals I have used a additive that revitalises the seal and stops oil leaking . It could be a way of giving your vehicle another lease of life cheaply .