Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lpg Conversions

keego

Looking around the forum the topic of MPG seems to come up quite a lot, I'm picking up my Zetec S 134PS next week & am wondering if anyone has had a conversion done & if so what the cost is & ultimately is it worth it?

I would have considered it but I need the boot space, wife is pregnant and need the space for a pram and everything else a baby needs.

Just so you're aware an LPG conversion requires a small tank to be fitted in your boot.

Good lucjk, it will be interesting to know how much this conversion costs and how much cheaper is LPG compared to petrol and how much more mileage you can get with LPG.

Most tanks now seem to be fitted in the spare wheel well which would mean the spare sitting in the boot space or having to put up with just a can of tyre weld as back up, not ideal but if needs must.

The problem with having a tank in the spare wheel well is that it wouldn't be very big. LPG has got a very low MPG rating compared to petrol and diesel. This would mean you'd need to fill up all the time, and not all garages sell the stuff. So if you did go for it, I'd recommend getting a tank that provides a similar range as the petrol one does.

Even though LPG has low MPG ratings, it's price makes it far cheaper to run over a given distance.

I've read around that a conversion costs about £1500, and it shouldn't take very long to pay for itself.

The big problem is if the government raise the tax on LPG, as it's getting more popular now.

If you go for it, I'd be interested in hearing results :)

Off topic but when you get your new fez 134 it'd be really interesting if you could get photos of the new style airbox and cat back see what ford have actually done

Aha a post I can comment on with a wealth of knowledge! :D

I had a 2006 MK6.5 1.4 petrol Fiesta before this one which I had converted to LPG in June 2009. This cost £1,249 at the time.

I had a 45l tank fitted in the spare wheel well in the boot which would hold 37l of LPG.

On petrol the car would do 40mpg, LPG was 32-34mpg (use 80% of what you're getting on petrol in your calculations)

For me payback time was somewhere around 26,000miles which I achieved in around 15months before part-exing it to buy this beauty.

LPG prices have risen a lot recently to around 80pp/l around here, but then again so has petrol diesel so there's still savings to be had.

I believe the government has set duty on LPG until 2014?

Roughly 1in8 fuel stations sell LPG and you can get poi's for your sat nav, a good (but still young and growing) website for prices is http://www.filllpg.co.uk/

If you have any more questions please ask away :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking around the forum the topic of MPG seems to come up quite a lot, I'm picking up my Zetec S 134PS next week & am wondering if anyone has had a conversion done & if so what the cost is & ultimately is it worth it?

I had a Zetec(125) gassed with a Zivoli sequential system Mistake! Do not gas a Zetec. Tha valves burn out.

I had another head put on. They will only do about 50,000k

I wouldnt wish to suggest that anyone on here does this BUT......

American Motorhome (RV) owners use lpg to heat their vans and to cook with (some have lpg conversions too).

If they live within the catchment area for lpg stations operated by countrywide farmers, they use keys to fill up 24/7 and pay monthly in arrears by DD.

Because heating is only 5% VAT and road fuel is 20%, they ask for TWO fill-up credit keys - one for each VAT rate.

Some then choose to use the lower 5% VAT key to fill their fuel tank as well as their domestic tank.

These truly evil people then get their LPG +5% instead of +20% :)

When I last dealt with them in May 2010 LPG was just 45p per litre plus VAT.

Sadly, I didnt have a conversion for road use anyway so I didnt benefit from this clever (but evil) idea.

Paul

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club