Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led Headlamps

MRC89

Well after my Phillips blue vision ultra's Broke after 3 & 4 months (~3000-5,000 miles) I've had to replace them with the standard lights, the colour from the headlamps isn't much different, when I had one standard and one blue vision, it was hard to see the difference. The sidelights however make a massive difference to the colour.

Anyway, I've recently been thinking about getting some LED headlamps, sidelight, dipped beam, and full beam. A handful of cars already have these as standard (Toyota Prius, Audi R8). But it's really hard to find the legality on such a new technological development. I know aftermarket HID's are illegal, do the same rules apply to LED?

Reason I want LED is because I've seen how powerful they can be these days, my friend has a £180 LED torch with 3 LEDs. And this dwarfs even my standard Full beams.

So does anyone know where the law stands on LED Headlamps? I'd also be considering making them myself..

Thanks,

So does anyone know where the law stands on LED Headlamps? I'd also be considering making them myself..

Thanks,

Well I believe if you made them yourself they will not have an ‘E’ mark and would therefore be illegal. Whether you would actually get stopped by the police for having them is a different matter – personally I would'nt try making my own but as they say “the choice is yours”

agree with the above, seems like a lot of hassle when you could buy a HID Kit for 50 quid and never get pulled over if you have a reasonable colour.

They would be illegal as they won't be homologated with the headlamp unit, or indeed the car. Not that having illegal lights tends to stop people - as long as they don't get pulled over, they run them anyway.

That aside, the LED dip/main beam lights on R8s and the like are not just a normal light with an LED bulb in them - if it were that cheap and easy everyone would be doing it!

I know it's not just normal LED's, I have some experience with making/customising LED flash lights. It'd involve a good LED, a driver, a series of Throw/Spread Lens' custom heatsink, and a custom sled, to keep it held in the headlamp unit securely, wiring and plenty of resistors.

You can't just buy these off the shelf atm, it's only recently that LED's have harnessed enough lumen output to meet and exceed the traditional halogen bulb. So making them myself would be the only real option, I think if done right it'd come out cheaper than a good set of HID's, and in theory, should last a lifetime.

That said, if it comes under the same rules as HID's it's a lot of effort for something that won't look much different to HID's.

Thanks for clearing it up anyway guys

agree with the above, seems like a lot of hassle when you could buy a hid kit for 50 quid and never get pulled over if you have a reasonable colour.

Agree with this also, youve got to consider also, if led lights were the way forward they would all use them, still for now hid technology is much preffered, due to output and practicality.

you seem to know what your talking about with the LED's but in answer; no, they are illegal as they are not standard fitment and the lens setup is inccorect, but as with many hid kits they are not standard fit either, i would admire your effort and willingness to be different, why not? give it a go, your not any more illegal than some one with a HID Kit, B)

I read somewhere that any car fitted with after market HIDs, those not factory fitted with auto leveling will be a MoT failure from this year.

So although illegal but still fitted.,if this comes into force you could end up with a failure notice.

Check before buying and fitting, it could save you a load of grief.

Yes that's true, in an attempt to crack down on illegal HID's and to meet EU regulations the MOT has been updated.

There's a thread about it here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16772

The only legal way to put HID's and I guess LED's on a fiesta is to have a company make the entire light housing for you, full safety checks, E markings etc, Install a light washer system, and suspension level sensors. Which seems a lot of money.

I was hoping there may be a loophole with LED's as their relatively new on cars, I couldn't find any written laws on them, which is why I asked here.

Just hope ford put a HID option on the 2012 fiesta facelift then!

Since my last post I have found this article.

2011 VOSA changes to MOT

Still 13 months away until these new regulations come into force, but some interesting changes.

From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure. saw this posted on astraownersclub just now.

Item Could Not Be Found - Page 8 HID after market kits have always been illegal, now it looks like MoT failure as well.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...Oct%202010.pdf

all copied from www.mini2.com

I think with chips/remaps they have be illegal ones, ie not insured to have it. Not 100% sure, there never seemed to be much of an explanation for it.

Anyway, here's a little article on LED headlamps being the way forward if anyone is interested :)

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10504189186/hella-led-headlamp-study

http://www.cartechautoparts.com/led-headlights/

I can't afford to do this atm anyway, but I might try put some together soon, just to see if it's possible, I like a little challenge. Of course, I wouldn't consider using them unless I was completely satisfied they were safe (for oncoming traffic) to be used.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club