Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very Loud Banging From Gearbox --1.8 Tdci 57/07

nyckfocus

Around a month or 2 I had a very slight knocking sound in the gearbox when the engine was in idle but would go when the clutch was press in.From what read it could been the Clutch release bearing or input thrust bearing.But was fine driving and no problem with the gears.About a week ago car seemed quite shaky and the noise was getting a bit worse with the clutch in or out this time.Friday came and it sounds like a machine gun in the gearbox area.

I drove it to a garage who my dad knows and he suspect the Dual mass Flywheel (DMF) is breaking up as the noise goes when revving the engine but starts the knocking noise as the revs drop back below 2k revs.Again ok when driving and the gears select ok.

As advised i didnt drive it home again and it's booked in for Wednesday .He said if its the flywheel would i want a DMF again or convert it to Solid Flywheel.I not sure what to do

Also the cost is a factor as they done a Vauxhall corsa a month ago and that was around £600

nyck

Around a month or 2 I had a very slight knocking sound in the gearbox when the engine was in idle but would go when the clutch was press in.From what read it could been the Clutch release bearing or input thrust bearing.But was fine driving and no problem with the gears.About a week ago car seemed quite shaky and the noise was getting a bit worse with the clutch in or out this time.Friday came and it sounds like a machine gun in the gearbox area.

I drove it to a garage who my dad knows and he suspect the Dual mass Flywheel (DMF) is breaking up as the noise goes when revving the engine but starts the knocking noise as the revs drop back below 2k revs.Again ok when driving and the gears select ok.

As advised i didnt drive it home again and it's booked in for Wednesday .He said if its the flywheel would i want a DMF again or convert it to Solid Flywheel.I not sure what to do

Also the cost is a factor as they done a Vauxhall corsa a month ago and that was around £600

nyck

You would be better going for a solid flywheel - the Dual Mass Flywheel reduces vibration within a diesel engine, but is soft and can be broken easily. The best thing I can liken it to is Alloy wheels vs steel wheels, steel is stronger because it has so much more contact points compared to an alloy wheel and is much harder to buckle.

You could find that it may be the Clutch Release Baring has been putting strain on the DMF, worst case scenario you need to replace both.

Clutch is circa £400, and the Flywheel can be from £600. so hopefully you wont have to bite the full £1000 bullet!

ive heard of the DMF's are made of chedder.

i've got some prices

clutch kit -£160

flywheel - £336

still a fair price and without fitting. best bet is to shop around for fitting and play garages of each other.

I was thinking of going down the solid flywheel route .The guy in the garage said there might be a slight more vibration but he thought most people wouldnt even noticed the difference.The way its been running the past couple of weeks a frying pan used as the flywheel would seem better

nyck

The way its been running the past couple of weeks a frying pan used as the flywheel would seem better

That just sums up the DMF in one sentence!

You would be better going for a solid flywheel - the Dual Mass Flywheel reduces vibration within a diesel engine, but is soft and can be broken easily. The best thing I can liken it to is Alloy wheels vs steel wheels, steel is stronger because it has so much more contact points compared to an alloy wheel and is much harder to buckle.

You could find that it may be the Clutch Release Baring has been putting strain on the DMF, worst case scenario you need to replace both.

Clutch is circa £400, and the Flywheel can be from £600. so hopefully you wont have to bite the full £1000 bullet!

I had to bite the £1000 bullet well £1052.02 ,They couldn't get a solid flywheel from there suppliers so it had to be another dual mass :(

Clutch kit £174.26

Slave cylinder £79.53

flywheel £382.90

Labour £240

+VAT = £1052.02

Its running so much better and the MPG has gone from 35mpg upto 43 mpg .Once my wife starts using for work again i'll will see if the MPG has improved or not.

nyck

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club