Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zetec S Seats. - Lower Back Pain?

Chris424

Hello Everyone,

I bought my new Fiesta Zetec S around 3-4weeks ago and no matter how much I try I can't get comfortable in the seat, it is causing lower back pain. It was okish but I have just driven for two hours and am in agony, so much my girlfriend had to take over (very rare!)

My previous cars have been (never had this problem before)

1995 Fiesta Si

2000 Fiesta Zetec S

2006 Focus ST

2011 Fiesta Zetec S

This started happening the day after I got the car and can't think of anything else that would cause it. Im 22, so hopefully its not my age! :-)

I thought I would see if anyone else has this issue before speaking to ford?

Not really sure what to do....

I suffer from lower back pain and so far my ZS has been fine on 1-2 hour journeys.

Try a lumbar support to see if that solves it, then you will know it's the seat.

Man I feel for you, back pain is no fun.

Whilst I suffer with it all too often my 59 plate ZS causes me no problem, even on long drives.

Mine has leather rather than cloth, and I've totted up 47k with no pains at all.

Other cars I've jumped in and with 20 mins or so I've felt that lower back pain niggle and can't wait to get out!

No doubt you've played with the settings on the drivers seat to try and find a position that doesn't induce back pain to the death!?!

Rowland

i havent had pain as such but I do know what you're on about on the seats!

i've found my zetec s cloth seats not to have much support for the lower back either, its quite odd how arched i end up sitting no matter what setting i try; from dead upright to vergeing on 'gangster-leaning' (which is a definite no go)

the seat backs are stupidly flat and need lumbar support!

only time ive had back pain was in a 2006 focus titanium with leather seats.

I love my cloth ZS seats, very comfy even on long journeys.

i havent had any pain personally, but my mum did really bad, so i readjusted her seat while she was sat in it, and she finds it lovely to drive now.

What im trying to say is, its more than likely the way your seat is set up rather than the car/car seats itself.

Your best just trying different settings of the seat, try to make yourself comfortable, so no over stretching, i was always taught that when pressing the clutch you should be able to fit you hand under your left knee easily (obviously not while driving).

The rest just readjust accordingly.

Thanks for everyones comments, they have been really helpful. Since having a cushion at the bottom of the seat it has been a lot better so think I may need the lumbar support.

I will keep playing around with the seat but it is a bit annoying!

Thanks again for all the comments, made me feel better :-)

I have had a lot of cars over the years and had an Auris

4 years ago which after 5 months I had to

sell. I have a neck issue and that seat pushed

me forward. That aggravated my neck so

all the muscles hurt. Then I bought a Mazda

which had lumbar support. My neck was

fine and I didn't have the lumbar part on as it

were. I think I was putting my neck forward

as it had a deep dash.

Sold the Mazda only because it was starting

to cost and getting on a bit.

Love my fiesta BUT it's caused me so

much neck pain again. Cannot understand

how. The seat adjusts, steering wheel adjusts

Nothing obvious. Maybe I am sitting too low

Seeing an osteo on Tuesday and am sure they

can help. Just want to enjoy the car.

Hope everyone else with any pain, gets sorted

Too hard to change cars again and can't

afford too.

• 3 years later...

I bought my Zetec Fiesta with cloth seats in January and so far paid out £200 pounds in physio for my lower back pain. Can I ask is yours on one side only? Is your back pain remaining when you leave the car?

I have tried the seat in every position but nothing works.

I am seriously thinking I may have to sell the car.

I have thought of approaching ford but doubt that would get any response.

I've spent a lot of time adjusting my seat and wheel recently, especially in my new car. I think the main thing is being close enough to the wheel so you don't find yourself leaning forward (that's what puts strain on your lower back I think). There are some good guides online especially this one: http://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Seating-to-the-Proper-Position-While-Driving

Problem on those seats is they are just too wide.

I think the problem is the S shape. It makes you arch your back and therefore puts pressure onto the hip joint and below. I think I am going to have to seel the car!

Oddly enough back pain with a car seat can be because the seat is making you sit properly!

Now I am not pointing any fingers here but say someone has had a lifetime of poor posture and they get into a well designed seat that makes them correct their posture it can lead to back ache. And we all know how well designed Ford seats normally are. This happens with new mattresses/beds sometimes. People complain of back ache because they are shaping their spine differently.

It is making you use your muscles differently.

The fact that these are sports seats and more supportive could aggravate the matter.

One alternative is to swap them for standard Zetec seats which are very comfortable and still supportive.

• Like 1

Sorry, cloth seats with no lumbar support

I thought the ZS, Titanium & Titanium X had lumber supportive seats?.

When I sit in my seat, you can definitely feel support in the lower back.

I think it is entirely possible that I am now sitting correctly and that is causing the pain but I would like to go back to sitting incorrectly and not have it! The seats are lumbar supportive. The lumber support pushes your spine forward too far in my case. the lumber can not be adjusted either.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to change the seats? Thanks for all the comments. I am finding them very useful and thought provoking.

Snip............ the lumber can not be adjusted either............Snip

Should be a small lever on the side of the seat, not tried to adjust it myself yet though.

As Dave says above, there is a small lever that pushes the lumber support out or retracts it in.

Just noticed that callingbird drives a Zetec.

I think you can only adjust the lumber support on the Zetec S, Titanium & Titanium X.

• Like 1

Good point !

Sadly added to a ZetecS thread so I didn't notice. The ZetecS seats are different.

My Zetec seats are extremely comfortable and I have completed 4 hour journeys with no stops and got out the other end as fresh as I started. I think they are great personally.

No I can not alter the lumbar support , unfortunately. I have highered the seat and straightened the back and it seems to be helping. Just got to work out if I am near/far enough from the pedals.

No I can not alter the lumbar support , unfortunately. I have highered the seat and straightened the back and it seems to be helping. Just got to work out if I am near/far enough from the pedals.

Must admit it's taken me ages to get reasonably comfortable in the Fiesta.

I do suffer with lower back problems and the Fiesta seat supports me well in that area.

The main problem for me is, with clutch fully depressed, the steering wheel is too close to me even after tinkering with seat/steering wheel combinations.

Must have short legs :wacko:

Not sure whether my steering wheel is too close or not but seem to be driving with bent knees as if sat in an armchair. I may be a bit too close.

It is heartening to hear that the majority of you have no problems. Maybe my bad back is coincidental.

I've had lower back pain for over 20 years, I used to have to vist the chiro every 3 months just to keep me pain free. I then noticed someone at work using a Mckenzie lumber roll support. These fit on your chair / car seat and help support your lower back, basically making you sit properly. I use one at work and have used one in my last three cars. But the zetec s has lumbar and so I use this. So far no pain and i drive for 3 hours at a time now and again.

If you dont have Lumbar support on your seat get one of these and try it. You will find it uncomfortable at first but after a while you wont even notice it, and it will save you !Removed! your back up as you get older.

Get the D shape one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003WGIE9S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1/275-5376650-6827416?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=0WRPZYP4V185RRPN4WEZ&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_i=B000W342U4

If you have back pain already get the Mckezie book ' treat your own back'. The excersises are really helpfull. I wasted £100's on chiro treatment over the years, but since using the support I very rarely get pain now, and when i do i do the excercises to treat myself with in days. I willl never go to another Chiro, Physio or anyone else to fix my back. In my opinion the treatment is short term and actually weakens your back.

Thank you so much for that. I bought a lumbar support thing but it did not work. Probably because my seats do have lumbar support. It is just not adjustable. I think your comments about physios etc are very interesting as I have found my back.is much worse after seeing them but have always thought that the pain is a means to an end. I will purchase the

book.

Did your back pain start before or after buying your car?