Hids On Mk7

orcomma

103 members have voted

1. 1. Aftermarket HIDs on the road?

• Aaargh! I'm blind
    • Yaarrgh! I'm cool
    • Oiiii. You're Nicked

Heyya all!

New member here - I've posted a full hellooo in the "New Members" forum but thought I'd say hi here too!

I'm going to be fitting some HIDs to my mk7 tit this weekend and I'll post up a how-to as I do it.

Prolly do it this weekend

So watch this thread! :D

piccies of car

FezBack.jpg

FezFront.jpg

If i were you i wouldn't bother with the hid's..

'From MOT from December 2011 (although i've heard 1st of jan 2012), the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.'

If i were you i wouldn't bother with the hid's..

'From MOT from December 2011 (although i've heard 1st of jan 2012), the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.'

wise words.

but in my case my car ain't due for an MOT till 2014, so for now at least, HIDs are a possibility. After that, ill just put the halogens back in.

i spose if its a question of legality I could specify that fitting HIDs is strictly offroad?

It's not jsut a question of legality, It's also a question of safety. This article is avery interesting in-depth read about why aftermarket HIDs are illegal even with projector lens' http://store.candlepower.com/trabhidki.html

(Candlepower is a massive community dedicated to the world of lighting, they know their stuff)

Very much appreciated - an excellent read!

having second thoughts now..

personally iv fitted HID's to each car i have had, and as long as the car has projectors and not reflectors i dont think the police will care, as the cars which are causing problems and blinding other drivers are the cars which have had hid's fitted when they have reflected light beams

• Like 1

its not a case on having projector headlights.

you have to have headlight washers and auto balancing for them to be legal so im afraid yours are still illegal

Cars looking very nice.Nice to see a red one Welcome to the site. Yes they are not legal but nor is doing 34 in a 30 zone. How many have done that?

I fitted HID's to mine as Mine is frozen white and the yellow didnt look well. I have 6000k HID's and they do not dazzle other drivers, My car(Thus my Headlights) is cleaned every week and is much cleaner than these huuuge range rovers with HID's that dazzle as standard...

Anyway.

Hers a few pics of mine with HID's

Enjoy.

Comparison shot of Standard ZS to My HID's(with LED lights where the fog lights use to be)

IMG_20110207_202259.jpg

IMG_20110121_165535.jpg

IMG_20101205_132759.jpg

IMG_20101205_132753.jpg

I highly recommend HIDS for the mk 7; love mine!

i absolutely HATE Hid, Why? im driving along a country road at night and some one with HID's is coming towards me and im nearly blinded and lose my night vision, because every bump they hit means the beam hits my eyes. may as well have had hi-beams on,

Next time i see some fool with after-market HID's on teh night time im just guna put up my full-beams and let them see how it feels on the other-side of the !Removed! things.

• Like 3

Regardless of when your car is due an MOT, illegal is illegal.

Not intended directly at you but the amount of threads on HID kits, the amount of advice given on the legal side and yet people still fit them. They are illegal because they are NOT SAFE TO OTHER DRIVERS. If you caused an accident im sure you would not forgive yourself.

You can get very good uprated bulbs these days, please do not fit them.

• Like 1

I had HID's fitted on my abarth grande punto and although it looked good, dear good they were bright.

I never had any complaints and was only flashed by another road user once. Saying that though i will not be fitting any to my fiesta when it arrives. I will just buy some uprated bulbs.

Reece

Of the people that complained about HID's:

How many have went over 20 in a 20 zone 30mph in a 30mph zone? Over 40 in a 40 Zone?(I suspect this is more common, we seem to respect 30 more than 40/50/60/70mph for somereason) etc etc. Have you ever parked on double yellows? Gone through a orange light you could of safley stopped on? Ever got a parking ticket for parking in the wrong place/too long/over a white line/in a hatched box? The list goes on.

My HID's are not any more dazzling than a range rover vouge, a BMW X5 or a Audi A3's. They are clean.They are in projector lights(and lets face it, this is the main concern in my eyes- I agree the halogen light reflectors do not cope well with HID Lights) The suspension levelers on these more expensive cars dont seem to work because we all have the same problem when they are comming towards us on a country road.My lights are far from blue, 6000k because I dont want to draw attention, Never been flashed, I can see the road better, I had uprated standard bulbs in the car but they still didnt do the in car visability much justice.

Kinda drags when people on forums do nothing but complain how agaist the law this or that is. Were all here to help one another, Its good to advise people that may not be aware that they are breaking the law. But I dont think its right to heckel them about it really.

Jay

Next time i see some fool with after-market HID's on teh night time im just guna put up my full-beams and let them see how it feels on the other-side of the !Removed! things.

Now that will make the world a much safer place. If they annoy you that much, take the reg and get in touch with the police force.

Jay

To be honest you are correct in what you are saying. Everyone has gone over the speed limit im sure, everyone has broken some kind of road law.

But the problem if HID's aftermarket or as standard are that they dazzle other drivers so not causing you personally any harm but the person coming the other way.

Personally i can only say that i would prefer it if HID's got taken off ALL cars they are just to bright to be safe to on coming traffic at certain times.

Its like the new DRL Law thats comming into effect. A lot of people are saying that now motorbikers/cyclist and older cars with no DRL will become part of the haze and will be less likley to be seen by a car, say pulling out of a junction on a dawn/dusk time of day. I agree with that.

There are a lot of laws that are iffy with many members of the public.

I understand the HID's I have do not cause me any problems but I have friends with HID's One of them is without projector housing for the HI's and its the only one that is remotly annoying ethier comming towards or in the rear view mirror.

Ive come across A bit strong It seems. Its just some members of other Forums out in the interwebz also complain, gets boring after a while. We all know its wrong to. Technically having an exhaust louder than standard is not legal and you can be fined/asked to have the exhaust removed. Thats a crazy law because a LP670-4SV standard is an animal, yet If I put an exhuast on my fiesta, that would be against the law technically(Cant remember if it was this forum or another Ford one that this discussion took place)

Jay

Ignoramus here. What are HID's ? High Intensity......? What is the cheapest/legal way to upgrade(i.e give better illumination) standard headlights ?

Haha out come the HID haters, only on this forum have I seen people ridiculed and bullied out of fitting them.

I've had them on all my cars, never been pulled, never been flashed.

I've had them on all my cars, never been pulled, never been flashed.

*makes mental note to flash Mike at next meet* :P

thats all well and good mikester. what we are trying to say is no matter what, it is illegal to fit HID's to a fiesta.

To do so it as your own risk, simple as that.

How many have went over 20 in a 20 zone 30mph in a 30mph zone? Over 40 in a 40 Zone?(I suspect this is more common, we seem to respect 30 more than 40/50/60/70mph for somereason) etc etc. Have you ever parked on double yellows? Gone through a orange light you could of safley stopped on? Ever got a parking ticket for parking in the wrong place/too long/over a white line/in a hatched box? The list goes on.

My HID's are not any more dazzling than a range rover vouge, a BMW X5 or a Audi A3's. They are clean.They are in projector lights(and lets face it, this is the main concern in my eyes- I agree the halogen light reflectors do not cope well with HID Lights) The suspension levelers on these more expensive cars dont seem to work because we all have the same problem when they are comming towards us on a country road.My lights are far from blue, 6000k because I dont want to draw attention, Never been flashed, I can see the road better, I had uprated standard bulbs in the car but they still didnt do the in car visability much justice.

Kinda drags when people on forums do nothing but complain how agaist the law this or that is. Were all here to help one another, Its good to advise people that may not be aware that they are breaking the law. But I dont think its right to heckel them about it really.

Jay

Its is still ilegal though is it not? Im not trying to 'heckel' anyone. Yes i have been caught speeding, a mistake that i do not intend to do again. If you cause an accident and the police find out that you have retro fitted HIDs ilegaly then im afraid you will not have a leg to stand on and face a very hefty fine etc. (i know a lot about this due to my job!!!)

Bottom line, ILEGAL

thats all well and good mikester. what we are trying to say is no matter what, it is illegal to fit HID's to a fiesta.

To do so it as your own risk, simple as that.

+1

Ever got a parking ticket for parking in the wrong place/too long

Yeah but thats not really going to cause an accident is it? :unsure:

My dads old primera had xenon headlights as standard, I think it was around the time they were first introduced so he was getting flashed by drivers all the time because they thought he had full beam on.... still legal though.

Anyway HID's are not my thing, I see some going around and most of them don't obscure my vision at all. But on occasion I have almost been blinded by rediculously bright ones, which was very annoying. But each to there own, I think they do look nicer than normal lights. I have noticed how much complaining goes on here, and can understand both sides, :/ but thats me, I like to sit on the fence :D

I must admit I don't always stick to the speed limit, I always try to but sometimes the speedo just creeps up. I don't drive at redicules speeds though, thats just plain stupid. The worst is a really, really, really wide, straight stretch of road which has a 20mph limit <_<

Jay

Mine do, they give a little nod every time they come on.

And another thing, I've never failed an MOT for doing 31 in a 30 zone either. The car is not road worthy, therefore another avenue for an insurance company to go down if a claim is made.

I don't give a shiny poo if everyone fits them, it's their money, but don't get on the backs of people who inform others of the illegality of them, especially as most people don't know. Everyone knows that doing 31 in a 30 zone is classified as speeding whether they do it or not.

Jay

Mine do, they give a little nod every time they come on.

And another thing, I've never failed an MOT for doing 31 in a 30 zone either. The car is not road worthy, therefore another avenue for an insurance company to go down if a claim is made.

I don't give a shiny poo if everyone fits them, it's their money, but don't get on the backs of people who inform others of the illegality of them, especially as most people don't know. Everyone knows that doing 31 in a 30 zone is classified as speeding whether they do it or not.

whoa!

didn't realise my first topic would be so controversial!

i'm still deciding whether to fit them to mine!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club