Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Fob Stopped Working But Battery Isn't Dead

K2008

Hi,

The other day my fob stopped working. Seeing as I've had the car 4 years and not ever changed the battery in the fob, I just assumed it was dead so I changed the battery for another today, but it didn't do the trick. My dad tested the battery I originally had in the fob and it was in fully working order, so it was not dead.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

I'm lazy and prefer locking the car with the remote buttons on my key rather than using the key hole :unsure::lol:

Edit: I have no clue about these types of things, but this is the only key I have for my car (I decided against getting another, too expensive!) - so please excuse my ignorance, but if the key/fob thingy was 'broken' (not the battery) would I no longer be able to start the engine with it?

My key fob also went a bit wrong, and has done a couple times if the battery is disconnected. Give this a try.

1. Open the door with the key
  2. Put the key in the ignition
  3. Turn the key to the second position (lights up the dashboard)
  4. Turn the key back to the off position
  5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 four times (you will hear an audio sound if you have done it right)
  6. When you hear the audio sound press the lock button on your key fob a few times (I normally hit it about 6 or so times for about 10 seconds)
  7. If the doors lock, you are laughing and you have fixed it, if the doors don't then give it another go (I couldn't do it right first time)

Hope this helps.. Good Luck

• Like 1

Thanks shaolin2000, I'll give it a try!

My key fob also went a bit wrong, and has done a couple times if the battery is disconnected. Give this a try.

5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 four times (you will hear an audio sound if you have done it right)
  6. When you hear the audio sound press the lock button on your key fob a few times (I normally hit it about 6 or so times for about 10 seconds)
  7. If the doors lock, you are laughing and you have fixed it, if the doors don't then give it another go (I couldn't do it right first time)

• 2 years later...

Have browsed the site a bit before, however I just wanted to check in and say thank you for the information at the bottom of this post.

After being in the garage for a dpf change, my 09 diesel focus after about two days stopped working with the remote key locking ( you could unlock and start the car with key, just not using the remote). I thought it must be a fuse or electrical issue as it seemed strange that it didn't happen immediately, so never suspected it being sure to a disconnected battery.

Anyway, after following these instructions it works perfectly again.

Thanks for your help

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys

I am having a similar problem with my MK7 fiesta key fob but unfortunately there does appear to be some damage to the PCB inside of it which is most likely why it has stopped working.

It still starts the car and unlocks the door manually but wont work remotely.

I was wondering if it would be possible to program a new untouched fob the way that is mentioned above? as the blade is working fine i could but the old blade on the new fob (which would almost certainly be cheaper than getting ford to do it) :)

Thanks for any advise you may have

• 4 years later...

My key fob for 2011 ford edge just stopped working. battery wasn't dead. I tried the method described here and it worked beautifully! Thank you so much for the information! I unlocked the door with the key, then turned the key to the first position and off again about 6 times. Worked like a charm!

Edited by Joseph1137
Need to add the process to my post.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Ford Fusion and the key fob quit working. I replaced the battery in the fob and still nothing. I do not have a keyhole on the vehicle to be able to unlock and attempt reprogramming. Suggestions?

• 2 months later...

Hi.  We have a 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition.  On Sunday our key fob quit. We replaced the battery, of course, first. Nothing. So we got the book out and "reprogrammed" the remote.  It did everything it was supposed to, locked, unlocked.  All that happy stuff.  BUT, then when we got out of the truck, NOTHING.  The remote didn't work.   I just tried it again this morning, the 8 times turning the ignition, and it all did what it was supposed to again.  But AGAIN, the remote doesn't work.  It works when I push the button during the whole reprogramming part but not for it's intended purpose.  Is it just DEAD??? Thanks!!

• 2 years later...
On 7/2/2019 at 10:26 AM, AnneH said:

Hi.  We have a 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition.  On Sunday our key fob quit. We replaced the battery, of course, first. Nothing. So we got the book out and "reprogrammed" the remote.  It did everything it was supposed to, locked, unlocked.  All that happy stuff.  BUT, then when we got out of the truck, NOTHING.  The remote didn't work.   I just tried it again this morning, the 8 times turning the ignition, and it all did what it was supposed to again.  But AGAIN, the remote doesn't work.  It works when I push the button during the whole reprogramming part but not for it's intended purpose.  Is it just DEAD??? Thanks!!

Hi Anne the same thing happened to me just now. Were you able to fix the problem? Thanks! Laura

• 1 year later...
On 4/16/2011 at 11:16 PM, shaolin2000 said:

Worked a dream. Don't expect it to work first time. Be patient. wait a min and step away from car and press open and close a few times.   

• 7 months later...

I have a Ford focus 2014 titanium, I have keyless entry and I replaced the battery in the fob as the computer was saying it was low. Unfortunately it seems like it has lost the memory now and I can’t unlock or lock the car without using the key, I’ve tried to reprogrammed/reset it and I’ve tried many ways but it’s still not working, could anyone help please

Many thanks

On 1/16/2014 at 12:24 PM, shawaj said:

Have browsed the site a bit before, however I just wanted to check in and say thank you for the information at the bottom of this post.

After being in the garage for a dpf change, my 09 diesel focus after about two days stopped working with the remote key locking ( you could unlock and start the car with key, just not using the remote). I thought it must be a fuse or electrical issue as it seemed strange that it didn't happen immediately, so never suspected it being sure to a disconnected battery.

Anyway, after following these instructions it works perfectly again.

Thanks for your help

My keyless fob on my focus titanium has stopped working after changing the battery, what steps did you take to fix it?

On 4/16/2011 at 11:16 PM, shaolin2000 said:

How would you do a reset with a keyless entry fob please as I’ve replaced battery in the fob and now it won’t work, I’ve tried a few ways to fix this and re program it but having no joy as of yet 

• 7 months later...

This YouTube video explains the process. The chime noise is different between models. Thanks to the original poster of the process. You are a hero! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club