Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Titanium 1.4Tdci

orion83uk

Hi all,

I just completed my first long motorway journey in my newly aquired Fiesta Titanium 1.4TDci - Glasgow to Warrington, about 220 miles. I was quite dissapointed to see that even with using the cruise control set to a well behaved 70mph all the way, I only achieved 53mpg. Does this sound right? The car has only done just over 4000miles, so does it perhaps need a few more thousand to wear it in?

I have driven other diesels in the past, some examples being a Peugeot 307 1.6HDi (same family of engine) and a Honda Civic 2.2CTDi and got 64mpg and 55mpg respectively from them on a similar run, despite their extra weight and power.

What has everyone else being achieving?

Best regards

Stuart

Hi all,

I just completed my first long motorway journey in my newly aquired Fiesta Titanium 1.4TDci - Glasgow to Warrington, about 220 miles. I was quite dissapointed to see that even with using the cruise control set to a well behaved 70mph all the way, I only achieved 53mpg. Does this sound right? The car has only done just over 4000miles, so does it perhaps need a few more thousand to wear it in?

I have driven other diesels in the past, some examples being a Peugeot 307 1.6HDi (same family of engine) and a Honda Civic 2.2CTDi and got 64mpg and 55mpg respectively from them on a similar run, despite their extra weight and power.

What has everyone else being achieving?

Best regards

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I can't really compare mpg as I have the 1.4 petrol auto, but heres a thread from the Fiesta section with a poll showing peoples mpg - http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9063&st=135&p=118879&hl=+what%20+mileage&fromsearch=1entry118879

Hi there stuart,

Your problem here can be any number or things. Firstly tyre pressure is exceptionally important I would guesstimate at 38psi front and 32psi rear for general car load. Secondly your speed is a massive issue, the combined cycle figure that they quote you in the brochure is based on a constant average speed of 56mph. As an example me v6 mondeo achieves a sensible 40mpg at 70 yet if I knock the cruise down to 56 it climbs to 48-50mpg which is rather good haha so you can see its a big different.

After this if you wanna grab every mpg you want to start looking into the cockpit. Air can can cost you a daft 5mpg depending on car and other conditions. Cd player possible 0.5mpg depending on volume. Then there is how often you have to slow down due to the fantastic drivers you experience on the motorways these days lol

Lastly you want to think of weight i.e. passengers and luggage you would really be surprised how much difference that bag of shopping makes lol.

Hope that helps

Scott

Hi there stuart,

Your problem here can be any number or things. Firstly tyre pressure is exceptionally important I would guesstimate at 38psi front and 32psi rear for general car load. Secondly your speed is a massive issue, the combined cycle figure that they quote you in the brochure is based on a constant average speed of 56mph. As an example me v6 mondeo achieves a sensible 40mpg at 70 yet if I knock the cruise down to 56 it climbs to 48-50mpg which is rather good haha so you can see its a big different.

After this if you wanna grab every mpg you want to start looking into the cockpit. Air can can cost you a daft 5mpg depending on car and other conditions. Cd player possible 0.5mpg depending on volume. Then there is how often you have to slow down due to the fantastic drivers you experience on the motorways these days lol

Lastly you want to think of weight i.e. passengers and luggage you would really be surprised how much difference that bag of shopping makes lol.

Hope that helps

Scott

Thanks Scott,

A lot of the stuff you said I deffinitely did. Wasn't driving with the climate control on. The tyres are definitely at the correct pressure (I checked that the moment I got it home as I suspected the Ford Garage wouldn't have bothered, especially as someones elses phone was still sync'd to the bluetooth and the washer jets scooched the water onto the roof rather than the screen haha).

As I say this 'test run' was a drive down the M74 and M6, almost constantly at 70 (cruise control), with just myself in the car. I just expected it to get about 60mpg easy. Might see if there is a difference with the cruise ocntrol off on the way home and using my own foot.

Hi Stuart,

I can't really compare mpg as I have the 1.4 petrol auto, but heres a thread from the Fiesta section with a poll showing peoples mpg - http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9063&st=135&p=118879&hl=+what%20+mileage&fromsearch=1entry118879

Thanks for the link 2011Fiesta.

Hello Stuart

I drive a 1.4 tdci often on motorways and I have done just over 20.000 miles in 18 months at an average of 55 - 60 mpg.

Whilst I use cruise, you may find you get better mpg not using it as it will ‘power’ you up inclines more then you probably normally would.

Obviously we don’t want to talk about excessive speeds on here but I seldom if at all travel at more than 80 mph (on motorways), I find once you are over 70 the mpg /fuel does drop so I tend to stick around 70.

hth

Cyb

Hello Stuart

I drive a 1.4 tdci often on motorways and I have done just over 20.000 miles in 18 months at an average of 55 - 60 mpg.

Whilst I use cruise, you may find you get better mpg not using it as it will ‘power’ you up inclines more then you probably normally would.

Obviously we don’t want to talk about excessive speeds on here but I seldom if at all travel at more than 80 mph (on motorways), I find once you are over 70 the mpg /fuel does drop so I tend to stick around 70.

hth

Cyb

Hi cyb,

Thanks for the reply. I'm willing to admit I probably had over the top expectations, especially after reading the fuel economy poll thread. Ford, I think, have also exaggerated just a tad as well LOL. Normally when I am doing motorway driving I am very 'sedate' and just do a constant 70 - I like to relax on a long journey :) Even with my Focus ST I was the same (and as a result would be regularly overtaken by just about everything haha). I found on my drive back from Warrington just there (220 miles), this time without the cruise control, it did 53mpg again. To be fair on it this time, I did use the air con for a bit too. Surprisingly, what I have found since I got back, is after doing some stop-start driving and general road driving, the fuel economy has now reached 54mpg. I'm beginning to think the 1.4 diesel likes the whole urban/sub-urban/back-road driving, especially if you pay attention to the shift indicator. Certainly, I have noticed it is geared a good bit lower than the 1.6 diesel (if the Ford Focus 1.6TDci estate pool car I drove the other day is anything to go by) - 2600rpm @ 70mph vs 2100rpm @ 70mph. Anyways, getting a bit geeky and nerdy with this now.

As of today, I've now owned the car a week and its fantastic. Need to give it its first wash B) Won't me much longer now before I will have forgotton I ever owned a Focus ST

Cheers

Stuart

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club