Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8Tdci Engines - Any Good?

Bill Badger

Does anyone have any views on the 1.8TDCi engine when compared with the 2.0TDCi? I have the option of a good spec Mondeo but the only drawback (if you can call it that) is that it has the smaller and older 1.8TDCi engine.

Your comments welcome.

depends on the year of manufacture of the vehicle...the 1.8tdci does not have the dreaded DPF which needs the additive refilling every 37.5k miles and the filter replacing at 75k miles. which costs a fortune. the 2.0l had one as optional untill around 2007 where it was required to make it euro 4/5 compliant.

i myself have a focus 1.8tdci, service properly and looked after and i have no complaints. only had two faults, one was down to me replacing the fuel filter for the first time in my life and the second was down to the battery light staying on which turned out to be a snapped wire.

i average out at about 57mpg travelling at 70mph on a motorway and around 48mpg on town roads (30mph and 40mph)

hope this helps somehow.

Thanks John,

I'm tending towards the 2.0TDCi Zetec this afternoon. The 1.8TDCi engined Mondeos are special editions and although the technical spec is great (Titanium+ model), the engine seems, by reports, to be a bit underpowered in such a large car. The resale value could also suffer because the production was limited to about 300 apparently.

Of course, I could change my mind again by tonight....... :unsure:

(Incidentally, the 1.8TDCi does have a DPF according to the technical data)

hmmm... could be just on the mondeos its fitted then or could be false data.

from what me and a few other users gathered is that pre 2007, 1.6TDCI came with DPF, 1.8TDCI didnt and the 2.0l was optional when new at dealers. since 2007 the EU made sure that all euro 4 engines come with a dpf and so on for the new euro 5 engine.

one way to check tho, get under the rear of the car and look for the additive tank, if there you got it, if not chances are you may not (but a non-additive dpf exists)

i know how you feel tho, i was torn between a 1.6 astra sxi and my focus...you can guess which came top :lol:

The specification with the car states that a DPF is fitted.

My dilemma must be decided upon today, and my choice of car must be made......

1, Mondeo 1.8TDCi Titanium Plus, with lots of great features - parking sensors, folding mirrors, better trim, privacy glass, and more, or

2, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec 140. Better engine by all accounts, but is the 1.8 necessarily bad or just not quite as good?

Help.......!

The specification with the car states that a DPF is fitted.

My dilemma must be decided upon today, and my choice of car must be made......

1, Mondeo 1.8TDCi Titanium Plus, with lots of great features - parking sensors, folding mirrors, better trim, privacy glass, and more, or

2, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec 140. Better engine by all accounts, but is the 1.8 necessarily bad or just not quite as good?

Help.......!

Just not quite as good. Personally I would say it depends, if you want a little more OOMPH when you put your foot down, go with the Zetec 2.0 however if you dont mind that tiny loss of OOMPH and you prefer the extra features, go with the 1.8.

Take them both for a test drive, and just go with the one you feel your going to have more fun in!

After a false start, whereby I ordered a Zetec 140 TDCi which turned out to be not available after all, I am now ordering a Mondeo 1.8TDCi Titanium+. It's six and two threes really, but although not as powerful, I do feel that it has a terrific amount of comfort features.

Be warned if you are looking for a new car - The delivery is very long at the moment. I have been advised it is currently about 12-14 weeks for a factory build car, and there doesn't seem to be much stock about anywhere either.

I had a 1.8 TDCi and had nothing but trouble with it.

It is a very old engine with new gizmo's bolted on!

Mine used to stall a lot and I nearly got wiped out when i pulled out of a busy junction and the bl**dy thing decided to stall half way across the road

Wife hated it!

I purchased a 2.0 TDCi after that and it was the best car I have every owned. Only sold it because mileage was getting very high. Quick and very good economy

cheers

Latter 2.0 and 2.2's have injector failure problems and flywheel issues (dual mass)

I had a 1.8 TDCi and had nothing but trouble with it.

It is a very old engine with new gizmo's bolted on!

Mine used to stall a lot and I nearly got wiped out when i pulled out of a busy junction and the bl**dy thing decided to stall half way across the road

Wife hated it!

I purchased a 2.0 TDCi after that and it was the best car I have every owned. Only sold it because mileage was getting very high. Quick and very good economy

cheers

Thanks for your comments. I currently have a 2.0TDCi MK3 which has been the best car to date that I have had. I have yet to read a bad report on the latest Mondeo, and although you have obviously had problems with the 1.8 engine, others (on this and other forums) have found the 1.8 to be pretty good.

My situation now is that I have a Mondeo Titanium Plus on order which I should get within the next 10 days. I had to cancel the 2.0TDCi Zetec because the supplier couldn't get the intended car and the current waiting time has gone up to 12+ weeks. I am therefore sacrificing the 2.0 engine in favour of a higher specification car, which I hope will work out ok.

Incidentally, on another forum, I got into a topic on chipping these engines, and there are some good bits of kit around from about £80. One response quoted an increase in power and an improvement in economy with his Focus 1.8TDCi from an indicated 60mpg on motorway driving to 70mpg. In addition, he had encountered no engine problems at all.

In answer to another posting on this topic, my 2.0TDCi dual mass flywheel had to be replaced at 65,000 miles. This, when added to a new clutch and starter motor, added up to a bill of around £1400......

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club