Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecu Reset

starfield

Hi All,

My car description is on the left.

I am thinking of doing an ECU reset this weekend to retrain the air/fuel ratio of the car. I know the procedure (disconnect the battery for 10 to 15 min). Here are my questions:

1. Will this erase any updates Ford has applied/installed on my ecu?

2. Any other issues I need to know about.

Thanx

From my understanding (I suggest second opinions) the updates are applied as "firmware" which are hard written into the ECU. what you are resetting is purely the "short term memory" of the ECU. When you do the reset, the car starts afresh, looks at how hard your putting your foot down, the general driving practices, and fluctuates the air / fuel ratios. so it will not remove any updates Ford have applied.

As for other issues, there arent any. I used to do this regularly on my Focus (description below) and never had any problems but always saw an improvement in MPG.

After I have reconnected the battery terminals after around 20 min I noticed the following:

1. The clock and preset stations were not lost (the radio did ask for code though)

2. Everything on the car computer was lost except for the trip mileage (the one that can be reset)

Is that normal behaviour?

It is because you are resetting its "short term memory" - that includes the resettable odometer, average MPG, and range estimations etc.

The radio does always ask for the code after a reset, this is incase some theiving wretch takes your radio away - they have to disconnect it from the battery so it prompts for the code. It has its own long term memory inside, which is where the Radio code, and the radio settings / features / presets are all saved.

The actual features of the trip computer will not have been lost (I hope anyway??) just the values that it was at previously. so if you reset the car with a reset ODO reading of 120 miles it will not say that the ODO is 0.0

When I did the ECU reset it had V-Power in the tank (3rd consecutive tank). I take it that when the reset was done it had adjusted my driving style, air/fuel ratio, etc according to what the car has in the tank. If I am to fill up with regular unleaded will it cause any problems?

Yes and No, Yes the engine will adjust to what it is using - higher grade fuels will require less injection, and will still give optimum performance. obviosuly a higher premium fuel will have benefits, and will improve the drive, however filling up with a different grade of fuel (be it Shell standard, or tesco's own unleaded) will not cause any problems.

as silly as this sounds - think of it as getting drunk.

You buy a high price bottle of wine with a high alcohol content. You may only need to drink one bottle and you can be as drunk as if you bought the corner shops budget 0.001% cider. Only difference is, you would have had to drink a lot more cider than you did the wine.

You dont have any problems, as your hangover will still be a hangover regardless...

• 2 years later...

Yes and No, Yes the engine will adjust to what it is using - higher grade fuels will require less injection, and will still give optimum performance. obviosuly a higher premium fuel will have benefits, and will improve the drive, however filling up with a different grade of fuel (be it shell standard, or tesco's own unleaded) will not cause any problems.

as silly as this sounds - think of it as getting drunk.

You buy a high price bottle of wine with a high alcohol content. You may only need to drink one bottle and you can be as drunk as if you bought the corner shops budget 0.001% cider. Only difference is, you would have had to drink a lot more cider than you did the wine.

You dont have any problems, as your hangover will still be a hangover regardless...

Hei PRO can you explain me what steps do i have to use after i reset the ECU so i get the full power again?So you tell is imposible that an ECU looses its program ever?Than why we have to make upgrade to FORD dealer?My friend went to FORD dealer and they told him that his ECU was formated and it needid programing...LOL are they making the thief?They just want money?What you think?Thanks

wow, that sounds like a true pack of bull if I ever heard it! the ECU could be fried (electrical short circuit,destroying a chip) this would require a new ECU. Also it could be overwritten by an OBD connection with a wrong piece of software, or it could theoretically be formatted, but you would need to be seriously messing about with it. If he hasnt touched it though, it sounds like a fast buck to me,

Anyway, once you reset the ECU, you just need to drive it as you want to for the rest of its life, do this for three or four tanks. Drive like a granny and you will get more MPG, drive like an F1 driver, and you will get a bit more response from it.

wow, that sounds like a true pack of bull if I ever heard it! the ECU could be fried (electrical short circuit,destroying a chip) this would require a new ECU. Also it could be overwritten by an OBD connection with a wrong piece of software, or it could theoretically be formatted, but you would need to be seriously messing about with it. If he hasnt touched it though, it sounds like a fast buck to me,

Anyway, once you reset the ECU, you just need to drive it as you want to for the rest of its life, do this for three or four tanks. Drive like a granny and you will get more MPG, drive like an F1 driver, and you will get a bit more response from it.

yes i think this too,becous i never done anything to overwritte it with OBD becouse i have used only OBD reader for DTC never tryed to write anything.what do you mean wtih "it could theoretically be formatted" how is it posible?You say to do it for three or four tanks,what do you mean i reset ecu every 3-4 tanks?Or i keep on driving like grany for about 3-4 tanks for ecu to learn it?Thanks :)

my comment on three or four tanks, is how long it will take your ECU to adjust to your driving style and respond accordingly to support this.

As for the format, any chip can be formatted or wiped clean with an electrical current in the wrong place, at the wrong voltage, at the wrong time.

Shorting out two pins on a chip could theoretically wipe out the contents of the ROM chip, so it can be done by electrical current, or could be wiped via software.

my comment on three or four tanks, is how long it will take your ECU to adjust to your driving style and respond accordingly to support this.

As for the format, any chip can be formatted or wiped clean with an electrical current in the wrong place, at the wrong voltage, at the wrong time.

Shorting out two pins on a chip could theoretically wipe out the contents of the ROM chip, so it can be done by electrical current, or could be wiped via software.

i see.So what do you think may this have hapened when i changed the alternator?Maby i got a wrong one?I have posted a thread about my alternator but no one is giving any opinion :/

I really couldnt say I am afraid. I doubt the chip is formatted though...

I really couldnt say I am afraid. I doubt the chip is formatted though...

i see .Thansk PRO

• 4 years later...

Hi mate any help resetting ecu on 2009 c-max auto to relearn my driving habits will I mess immobiliser up and will my key fobs still work and car restart after reset cheers keith