Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems With Ford Fiesta 1.3 1997

Tammy

I am having a problem with my Ford Fiesta 1.3, when I am driving, it starts to rev and the rev;s seem to stay high and then trying to change gears the clutch seems to drop which eventully cause problems for my gear change to be difficult.

I have been told it might be the clutch but I am not sure. Has anyone got some advice for me on what I can do, please

I am having a bit of a problem deciphering your thread...

Are you saying that the car revs up by itself, and then when you try and change gear the clutch will not fully disengage ?

I am having a bit of a problem deciphering your thread...

Are you saying that the car revs up by itself, and then when you try and change gear the clutch will not fully disengage ?

Yes That is what I mean

Common issue with the 1.3 Endura engines apparently. Common diagnosis is throttle sensor - at least that's what my Mom's Ka had. She got half way through explaining the fault and the guy put his hand up and said "Yep, get lots of those".

Fixed for free under ford direct warranty so don't know cost, sorry.

Common issue with the 1.3 Endura engines apparently. Common diagnosis is throttle sensor - at least that's what my Mom's Ka had. She got half way through explaining the fault and the guy put his hand up and said "Yep, get lots of those".

Fixed for free under ford direct warranty so don't know cost, sorry.

ok, thank you for that. Just another question, do you think it also might be air in the clutch, cause I ran out of brake fluid, and I have been told to try and bleed to clutch as there might been air in it. Would you have an idea of how to bleed the clutch if needed.

But if it is a throttle sensor, would I be able to fix it myself or would I have to take it to ford to fix, sadly its a second hand car with no warranty as I bought it privatly.

Hmmmmm, not really... if you ran out of brake fluid you would need to bleed the system when it's topped up for sure, but I would have thought that the garage would have done that for you. If you're worried there's no harm in getting your braking system checked out and I would heavily advise you do so even if you only suspect there's an issue. You don't want to be in a car and the brakes fail on you - trust me I had that in my old Astra. It really is not fun!

It's not a challenging job to bleed the system, but I'd sooner have a garage do it, especially as you need the throttle sensor looked at anyway. Call it 30 minutes labour well spent. You can do it yourself though, if you're handy. IT's just a matter of releasing the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder, let it drip, close it up when it's steady and check that it will engage gears (with the engine running). If it's having difficulty going into gear, then you'll need someone to push the clutch to the floor while you close the bleeder back up (With the clutch allt he way down). You may need to repeat that a few times.

If you want to check the clutch is not slipping, there is a simple test you can do. Get on a quiet road, going about 20mph and engage the highest gear and push the accelerator to the floor. If the car grumbles a lot and judders, but does gain speed very very slowly, then the clutch is fine. If the car judders and grinds to a halt, then the clutch is slipping and needs to be checked out.

The issue you're describing regarding the engine revs is a common one and exactly the fault my Mom's Ka had. I cannot remember if there was difficulty in gear change after the engine rev'd, but I can always ask if you would like. The garage may offer to adjust it, but you're wasting your time. Go for a replacement from the get go. I've never fitted one myself so I can't say how easy it is.

Hmmmmm, not really... if you ran out of brake fluid you would need to bleed the system when it's topped up for sure, but I would have thought that the garage would have done that for you. If you're worried there's no harm in getting your braking system checked out and I would heavily advise you do so even if you only suspect there's an issue. You don't want to be in a car and the brakes fail on you - trust me I had that in my old Astra. It really is not fun!

It's not a challenging job to bleed the system, but I'd sooner have a garage do it, especially as you need the throttle sensor looked at anyway. Call it 30 minutes labour well spent. You can do it yourself though, if you're handy. IT's just a matter of releasing the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder, let it drip, close it up when it's steady and check that it will engage gears (with the engine running). If it's having difficulty going into gear, then you'll need someone to push the clutch to the floor while you close the bleeder back up (With the clutch allt he way down). You may need to repeat that a few times.

If you want to check the clutch is not slipping, there is a simple test you can do. Get on a quiet road, going about 20mph and engage the highest gear and push the accelerator to the floor. If the car grumbles a lot and judders, but does gain speed very very slowly, then the clutch is fine. If the car judders and grinds to a halt, then the clutch is slipping and needs to be checked out.

The issue you're describing regarding the engine revs is a common one and exactly the fault my Mom's Ka had. I cannot remember if there was difficulty in gear change after the engine rev'd, but I can always ask if you would like. The garage may offer to adjust it, but you're wasting your time. Go for a replacement from the get go. I've never fitted one myself so I can't say how easy it is.

Oh my Goodness you are a life saver, thank you so much for the advice, I am truely greatful, 100%. Yes I was very worried about this, but with the advice you have given me, has taken allot of worry off my mind. I will get is sorted and let you now how I get along. But thank you once again so so much, I am honestly truely greatful. If I have anymore questions I hope you dont mind me asking again. Thank you

• 7 months later...

I also have a '97 Endura which I have owned since new with very very few mechanical or aesthetic problems. But, my car also had similar revving issues earlier in 2011 but no obvious clutch problems and after a couple of weeks the revving stopped - that was until Boxing Day 2011 when it refused to engage into any gear with the clutch pressed. I called out the 'motoring organisation' with whom I am a member and the first thing he noticed was that the fluid level for the clutch brake resevoir was lower than it should have been, so he topped that up. Whilst obviously not being able to pull the engine to pieces at the roadside, when he topped up the resevoir, he 'primed' the clutch whilst I kept pressing the pedal until there was stiffness in order to get into gear and was able to get home. Assuming the car was OK after that, my partner used the car a day later and whilst stopped at traffic lights in a busy town centre, she was not able to engage gear again...so out came the 'motoring organisation' again and towed her home. I drove it around the car park where we live with no clutch/gear problems again, so the problem appears to be intermittent. After having researched on the net and spoken to a couple of mechanics, the theory is the master or slave cylinder with corroded seals which may need replacing. The car has done almost 92000 miles since new, with very few problems. I live in a very 'hilly' area so there is considerable wear and tear on the clutch and brakes. Whilst I can do without the expense of the part replacements and repairs, etc., immediately after Christmas, I can't grumble too much due to the reliability of the vehicle itself.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club