Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Easy Fuel

cyb

171 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had fuel stolen via your cars filling system?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. Have you ever had your tank pierced and fuel stolen?

• YES
    • NO
  3. 3. Have you ever had your fuel tampered with via the filling system?

• YES
    • NO

Because of all the worries about Fords easy fuel system I thought we should have a poll on this matter. I have been driving for ooooooo a fair number of years and never had any problems with or without a locking fuel cap on my vehicles and I find all this worrying rather unnecessary.

I find Fords system easy to use and should someone really want to steal your fuel a locking cap would be of little help and may cause more damage than without.

We are really only talking about the current Fiesta or cars with a similar easy fuel system

So please choose your answers carefully so we can discover what really are the chances of this kind of thing happening to you.

Voted.

In the past I've had fuel stolen (not a ford) and the damage they caused smashing the locking cap and the paint being chipped from forcing it was more than the value of the fuel.

Voted!

I've never had fuel stolen but i can see how Fords design would increase that risk

Voted, should be another option "ever got the fuel pump stuck inside the easy fuel system" :lol: i'd have to asnwer yes to that

• Like 2

If you do not own a fiesta then you would not know it was an easy fuel system.Like how many other cars are easy fuel that we don't know about because we don't own them.So a would be thief would not know either.Thats my thought anyway.

If you do not own a fiesta then you would not know it was an easy fuel system.Like how many other cars are easy fuel that we don't know about because we don't own them.So a would be thief would not know either.Thats my thought anyway.

Ive read a post on here last january from a MK7 fiesta owner who said a thief drained his fuel tank by drilling it underneath the car so not many people know about it, although this thread will help inform alot of people if the search google this will appear in the listings :lol:

But you would if you wanted to steal petrol. They don't just happen to walk around with a jerry can hoping to drop on a car that has a come and empty me sign. They know their targets, they do their homework. They know which cars are easier to steal from, which locks are easier to break through, which windows are easier to get through etc etc. They may not use their intelligence for legal reasons, but they aren't all as thick as a lodging house butty.

There has been a market for M3 bumpers for a while now, because thieves know how easy they can be to remove, unless extra protection is put on after they leave the factory, but most M3 drivers don't know about this unless they are active on forums or wake up with their bumpers missing. Removing the standard M3 bumper is quicker than draining a tank of petrol and a lot more profitable.

There has been a market for M3 bumpers for a while now, because thieves know how easy they can be to remove, unless extra protection is put on after they leave the factory, but most M3 drivers don't know about this unless they are active on forums or wake up with their bumpers missing. Removing the standard M3 bumper is quicker than draining a tank of petrol and a lot more profitable.

I agree 100% and sadly it’s not just M3 bumpers as there are an awful lot of ‘sport’ variant models that suffer this

I’ll add that most ‘professional thief’s’ wouldn’t even chance getting 10 – 20 litres out of a Fiesta.

HGV drivers are suffering fuel theft far more than car driver and they have far better locking on their tanks, simply because the rewards are greater.

So far we have had 43 members vote on this poll - all NO's

But lets admit you need to be sensible, if say you go to Tesco fill up your car with fuel then park the car in a quiet part of the car park (so no-one hits it with a trolley) then go in and do your shopping, you are giving a thief a good chance to steal fuel or anything else from your car.

So simply park in the main area or fill up on the way home instead.

But if you have a central lock on the fuel door, you still not safe! that is just a second...

better if you never fill it up full, less weight more MPG :D

and they can take it out...

I initially complained about the system before I got my Fiesta because I thought that you could just open the inner flap with your hands, knowing that you actually need a tube/ funnel with the proper diameter nozzle makes me feel a bit better about it.

I've only had my car for a few days so it probably wouldn't be worth me voting.

• 2 weeks later...

to steal anything from them you would either need to be a ford owner, or pay a stupid amount for the adapter that is in your boot to be able to open the fuel filler cap... although i have seen ford have started selling a lockable cap that can sit on top if you feel necessary

48 votes all No

Think you have an answer :)

• 3 weeks later...

Why does this keep appearing in the new posts lists?

Anyway it's a no from me & a no from him.

Goodnight.

Why does this keep appearing in the new posts lists?

Anyway it's a no from me & a no from him.

Goodnight.

People voting count as a new post.

As above it’s when people add their vote, but don’t add a reply.

I think the results are interesting and are now starting to show that there is no real need to rush out and buy a locking fuel cap. But it would be useful should you vote ‘yes’ to say just what happened?

Personally, the only advantage I can see to the fuel filling system on the mk 7 is convenience as you don't have to find somewhere to put the cap while filling or don't have a cap dangling. The best arrangement I have found was where there was a storage clip for the cap while filling and the flap wouldn't close until you had put the cap back in place. Unfortunately, I can't remember what make of car it was. Probably a Rover or a Vauxhall.

• 2 years later...

admit you need to be sensible, if say you go to Tesco fill up your car with fuel then park the car in a quiet part of the car park (so no-one hits it with a trolley) then go in and do your shopping, you are giving a thief a good chance to steal fuel or anything else from your car.

So simply park in the main area or fill up on the way home instead.

Yea then some !Removed! wit smashes their door into the side of your pride and joy. "fantastic".

any way don't fords have anti syphon fitted any way.

Cheers Ian

That was the old trick with Rover 214/216 (square type) the front sheet metal was impossible to get from the factory, so go out steal said rover strip front end, car gets written off because parts unavailable, buy write of real cheap (cos parts unavailable), go out steal said rover strip front sheet metal, fit to your write off hey presto one super cheap rover 214/216, and this became a vicious circle

cheers ian

• 5 weeks later...

ive never had a problem with fuel being stolen etc, but the one thing ive noticed with ford's new easy fuel is that whenever i put petrol in i can never fill it to the brim because the cap stops me from leaving the nozzle in just enough to fill it to the top.

i dont know wether thats just me being stupid, but ive tried it a couple of times now and can never really do it

ive never had a problem with fuel being stolen etc, but the one thing ive noticed with ford's new easy fuel is that whenever i put petrol in i can never fill it to the brim because the cap stops me from leaving the nozzle in just enough to fill it to the top.

i dont know wether thats just me being stupid, but ive tried it a couple of times now and can never really do it

Max 2 clicks of the pump when it's fully inserted and that's as full as it will get :)

Saw it was for new Fiesta's only and retracted my vote. Whoops. :)

• 1 year later...

I believe there's a fitting within the fuel pipe to stop syphoning.

There is anti-syphoning, one of the reasons you are supposed to leave the pump in for 10 seconds before removing it after filling. It's in the manual somewhere.

I must admit I was very nervous the first time I went to fill up, I was convinced it wouldn't work and I would be stranded at the petrol station. However once that first fill up was done the nerves were calmed and it has been fine since.

Had one problem with a pump that kept shutting off at Esso when I was trying to fill but that was a one off.

How much can you get in? I always fill all the way and stop at the first shut-off. Most I got in was about 41l with about 8 miles to go on the guage - I assume the tank is 42l.

There is anti-syphoning, one of the reasons you are supposed to leave the pump in for 10 seconds before removing it after filling. It's in the manual somewhere.

I must admit I was very nervous the first time I went to fill up, I was convinced it wouldn't work and I would be stranded at the petrol station. However once that first fill up was done the nerves were calmed and it has been fine since.

Had one problem with a pump that kept shutting off at Esso when I was trying to fill but that was a one off.

How much can you get in? I always fill all the way and stop at the first shut-off. Most I got in was about 41l with about 8 miles to go on the guage - I assume the tank is 42l.

I've had over just over 42 litres in mine with 3 miles range left

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club