Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Window Tinting On A Focus

BIGGSY

Hey Peeps

I have a 2010/59 plate ford focus zetec in vision blue. I saw another one the other day with the back door windows,rear quater windows and rear boot window tinted and thought it looked really good. Do any of you know of a mobile company around the Rutland/leicestershire area that is reasonable and well recommended? that will do window tinting.

cheers

Biggsy

This is something i would love to have done on my black focus too. Reasons are they create a bit of privacy in the back and cool the car on hot summers days and thirdly cause it looks cool.

Wonder what the going rate is to have this done?

Here in Belfast it costs £120 although you can haggle it down to £100 as there are so many competitors that want your buisness.

Looks great as well when its done right.

Ive had two quotes in Essex. £155 + VAT and £170 + VAT. Neither were mobile.

I may just buy the fitted blinds/shades for £80 instead.

Its a pity all the windows cant be tinted as this would suit me, but the law says no.

i got mine done for £140 (inc military discount). comes with lifetime guarantee. im just getting used to looking through the windows at night...i fitted reversing sensors (£15 and 30 mins of time) just to help a little.

Was going to ask about this myself but saves starting a new thread..

Just got a focus titanium and asked before i got it off ford direct to have window tint done on rear of car as they are on other fords..

After inspection of the job i found the odd bubble here and there and speckles on both rear door windows also the tint is too dark not like factory ford ones.

Question i have is is the glass on the pre ordered cars (new ones) tinted glass or is the glass on the car tinted via a film at ford factory.

Reason im asking this is because i bough the car on the strength that the tint would be identical to other cars i viewed..

Its just the car i ended up with had everything i wanted minus the tinted rear this was not a problem i was told and the tint job would be identical to factory pre tinted cars..

Took car back today and they agreed the job was very poor waiting on phone call later to see what i want to do..

If i cannot get the desired result the cars going back.

Can i get a job done to exact standard of the factory ford focus tint.

Was going to ask about this myself but saves starting a new thread..

Just got a focus titanium and asked before i got it off ford direct to have window tint done on rear of car as they are on other fords..

After inspection of the job i found the odd bubble here and there and speckles on both rear door windows also the tint is too dark not like factory ford ones.

Question i have is is the glass on the pre ordered cars (new ones) tinted glass or is the glass on the car tinted via a film at ford factory.

Reason im asking this is because i bough the car on the strength that the tint would be identical to other cars i viewed..

Its just the car i ended up with had everything i wanted minus the tinted rear this was not a problem i was told and the tint job would be identical to factory pre tinted cars..

Took car back today and they agreed the job was very poor waiting on phone call later to see what i want to do..

If i cannot get the desired result the cars going back.

Can i get a job done to exact standard of the factory ford focus tint.

As far as I'm aware, the factory 'tinted' windows are as dark as you can get them. The windows from the factory are 'tinted' or what I like to use better, darkened glass, there is no film over it. If you have bought the car without tints and they had to be added, then most probably they would have to use the film.

There are different levels of tint. Limo being the darkest. Having compaired one tinted after, and mine with standard Ford tints I,m convinced that the Ford tints are not as dark as I can still see thro them if the angle and lighting on the other side of the window is right. With limo its more difficult. The rule is to remember that if you do darken the front side windows, they must still allow at least 70% light thro(check current law tho)or if stopped by bill and ben you'll have to remove it, prove it and if involved in a accident and they prove your tints affected your visibilty they may throw blame at you and your insurance may say bye bye. I think its 75% light thro rear windows. Remember they carry machines that check this!!! As for fitting I was quoted £120 for my Fiesta before I swapped it. You can buy DIY kits, but if you make a mess of it you'll end up paying a pro to make it right anyway.

from the guy who tinted mine, claims Jennings Ford in Gateshead bring them their new cars for him to tint so they dont do it at factory but rather get local guys who come highly recommended.

try and find your local guy who the dealerships use and you will get it done cheaper than what the dealers want.

if you have bubbles it is definately covered under the tint warranty, if you got it.

There are different levels of tint. Limo being the darkest. Having compaired one tinted after, and mine with standard Ford tints I,m convinced that the Ford tints are not as dark as I can still see thro them if the angle and lighting on the other side of the window is right. With limo its more difficult. The rule is to remember that if you do darken the front side windows, they must still allow at least 70% light thro(check current law tho)or if stopped by bill and ben you'll have to remove it, prove it and if involved in a accident and they prove your tints affected your visibilty they may throw blame at you and your insurance may say bye bye. I think its 75% light thro rear windows. Remember they carry machines that check this!!! As for fitting I was quoted £120 for my Fiesta before I swapped it. You can buy DIY kits, but if you make a mess of it you'll end up paying a pro to make it right anyway.

I pretty sure that Fords privacy glass is as dark as you can get, limo black. Also all rear windows can be as dark as you want them to be.

As you say Merlin the tint on the ford is slightly more see through i noticed this today when comparing mine next to another titanium..(ford factory)

Now im still a bit unsure as shawty1984 is saying the glass is tinted ie no film..yet what john H says seems to be what im getting told at my dealership the cars go to local trader to complete the work.(obviously the one they used was pretty poor or was having a bad day).

The tints i was offered were full black (the one thats on now )thats the darkest you can go so the bloke told me, or one slightly lighter which has a somewhat bluetint to it,which i think would look stupid on the car..

Cars going away wednesday to be re done just had the call...

Think the black thats on now is ok just needs to be bubble free...

Will post some piccys when my cameras charged.

Also bloke said dont wash car or use windows for a week for the film to take properly is that correct?

thanks Paul

The standard tint in the fords looks like dark smoke which allows 20% light in. Limo is the darkest and allows only 5% light and is far darker than the standard Ford tints. Especially noticeable as you cannot see in at all.

As you say Merlin the tint on the ford is slightly more see through i noticed this today when comparing mine next to another titanium..(ford factory)

Now im still a bit unsure as shawty1984 is saying the glass is tinted ie no film..yet what john H says seems to be what im getting told at my dealership the cars go to local trader to complete the work.(obviously the one they used was pretty poor or was having a bad day).

The tints i was offered were full black (the one thats on now )thats the darkest you can go so the bloke told me, or one slightly lighter which has a somewhat bluetint to it,which i think would look stupid on the car..

Cars going away wednesday to be re done just had the call...

Think the black thats on now is ok just needs to be bubble free...

Will post some piccys when my cameras charged.

Also bloke said dont wash car or use windows for a week for the film to take properly is that correct?

thanks Paul

Ford Factory tints are darkened glass and not film. As far as I'm aware, the garages only get local people to do it if the car is already been built and you want the tints on. This was offered to me when buying my 08 reg Focus Zetec (if they were not already on the car as they were not sure). Again, I'm also pretty sure that Fords privacy glass (darkened glass, factory fit) is the darkest you can get, limo black, I'm sure it is.

Ok now its getting really bad ,

Car came back after a so called re application of the tint and suprise suprise they have tried to get the bubbles out and have not suceeded.

Now it looks even worse they have also caused slight abrasions to rear drivers side glass..

Im going back tonight for a one to one with sales manager and salesman.

Asked over the phone if i could activate the 30 day no quibble exchange ..they said i cannot because "I" have modded the car...

Im not best pleased ..Also car came back from sub contractor with dirty mats and lots of debris in rear of car...

Really thinking of giving car back getting my money and waiting for car that the glass has been factory fitted..As i think the salesman has told some white lies to me..

P1020386.jpg

P1020390.jpg

P1020404.jpg

P1020392.jpg

I did a better job than that myself on my previous Focus. I was going to get it done on my new car, but turns out the insurance company treat it as a modification and unless you pay extra premium, I wouldn't be insured.

Ford themselves get someone in to tint the cars and are asking double what you would pay elsewhere. Was it a main dealer or a trader you are dealing with.

I did a better job than that myself on my previous Focus. I was going to get it done on my new car, but turns out the insurance company treat it as a modification and unless you pay extra premium, I wouldn't be insured.

Ford themselves get someone in to tint the cars and are asking double what you would pay elsewhere. Was it a main dealer or a trader you are dealing with.

As already stated, privacy glass is darkened glass and done when the car is getting built. If you ask for tints when the car is already built then they will get someone in and it will be the film tint.

Give it a few days and it will look a lot better.

Takes a while to dry out but if its still bad then the bloke that fitted it should stand by his work.

Cars going back for a week to get all things done .

It seems the tint they put on was the 5% limo option which when compared to the cars from factory and other cars that had been film tinted on the lot is a way darker..

The option and what i asked for in the first place is now being done is 20% which is lot closer to the way all the cars i have looked at are.

I was never happy with the valet they said was done anyway and thats being done also..

Have give me car for week while all the work is done..

I have stressed to the manager that if it comes back wrong in any way i will activate the 30day no quibble option.

He agreed to this and couldnt apologise enough ..

Did say he would throw in full tank of diesel , so suppose all i can do is wait for the car to come back next friday..

Funny thing is they admitted the boss of tinting firm was on holiday and that their own valeters were being replaced this week.

Quite ironic and a large admission of guilt ..

Fingers crossed all is good next thurs/fri.. :)

Thanks for all info guys the salesman still wouldnt admit that the factory glass didnt have a layer of film on it, and he,s selling the cars.

if he still denies it being film, wind the window down and start picking...if it feels like a sticker and he is carping himself, its film :lol:

Cars going back for a week to get all things done .

It seems the tint they put on was the 5% limo option which when compared to the cars from factory and other cars that had been film tinted on the lot is a way darker..

The option and what i asked for in the first place is now being done is 20% which is lot closer to the way all the cars i have looked at are.

I was never happy with the valet they said was done anyway and thats being done also..

Have give me car for week while all the work is done..

I have stressed to the manager that if it comes back wrong in any way i will activate the 30day no quibble option.

He agreed to this and couldnt apologise enough ..

Did say he would throw in full tank of diesel , so suppose all i can do is wait for the car to come back next friday..

Funny thing is they admitted the boss of tinting firm was on holiday and that their own valeters were being replaced this week.

Quite ironic and a large admission of guilt ..

Fingers crossed all is good next thurs/fri.. :)

Thanks for all info guys the salesman still wouldnt admit that the factory glass didnt have a layer of film on it, and he,s selling the cars.

The factory glass, or privacy glass as it is called is darkened glass and DOES NOT have a film on it. The actual glass is dark. I have this on my car. As I've stated before, what seems to happen is that if your order your car and it has to be built and you ask for privacy glass, it is the darkened glass. If you order your car and it is already built, then the privacy glass will be film as it is added later.

An important note I’d like to add to anyone getting theirwindows tinted, is to use purified water or R.O water as this doesn’t containany trace of lime, sand, salt metals or metals, car battery water is similar,as can be observed in previous pictures minute partials trapped between thetint and the glass which sparkle in the light and in time will weaken your tintand cause it to tear, if you can’t get purified water then at least get Evianas it’s the closest thing to it.

I’m not crazy used to work in pharmaceutical

and got the security cabin tinted the guy doing the tint requested he use our

purified water to apply the tint and explained this to me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok its been a while but heres latest news..

Car came back for the 3rd time after the tint and yes the tint was ok this time as in the shade of it.

But and its a big but on the back windscreen was a 4" Sq scratch patch (again will show in photo) were i think the fitter has tried to get rid of bubbles..Quite a shocking effort i may add..

I asked the salesman and manager to come out and view the car...

They both assured me that they themselves and the valaters had checked the car and hadnt noticed this patch..

But when i pointed it out they both admitted it wasnt acceptable..

As you could gather i wasnt happy at all..

Due to me and misssus going away for week i told bloke he could contact us today and discuss the problem further.

They have now offered because of all the problems i have had to use a donar car same spec with factory glass in their lot and fit the factory tinted glass to our car..

This is going to be done on tues next week..

This is best result i could of hoped for really as im not sure what it would of cost to get factory glass done...

So Hopefully by next tues the car will be done 100% with factory tinted glass.... fingers crossed

Im going to ask for some kind of other apology in the way of valet or some fuel as well(or do you think thats a bit cheeky)

I have just bought a 2009 Focus ST-2 3 Door, it has factory fitted tinted privacy glass in the back windows & boot lid. I aren't keen at all & if anyone fancies doing a swap for standard glass, I would be very interested??!!

Hi there is a firm in leeds that are mobile and do travel (dont know the cost on this) but i know they do a lot for dealers up and down the country

www.autodesigntints.co.uk or try dappa tints same company

we have had 5 cars done over the years with this company, and about to get another 2 done

on one of their web sites it tells you about aftercare IE:how lony it takes to dry etc

All the best from the newbie