Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flashing Glowplug Light And Cutting Out Problems, Help Desperately Needed Please?!

car-nut

Hi,

My Mondeo is mucking about, I should say My mum's but I look after it lol.

She bought it for £2,500 a month ago, It has FSH ect...

She drove 18 miles to my house to pick me up so I could take her to a garage i trust to get part worn tyres as YES SHE BOUGHT IT WITH BALD TYRES FROM A DEALER!

But on the way literaly half a mile from my house the car just died! This was a few weeks ago and now is getting more regular, It is completely random, one minute you can be driving at any speed and then it just dies! My mum now tells me that when the car dies the glow plug light flashes! What does this mean?

I have also noticed when I drive it, it seems to have a delay between accelerating and the car picking up speed. It has had a new clutch and a £1000's spent on it, My mum loves the car but she is a careworker and always has people with wheelchairs in the car and needs to get this problem sorted asap.

The car does not smoke at all by the way and seems to drive spot on in every other way.

Someone made her panic at kwik fit (Sorry But I Don't Like Kwik-Fit anyway) and told her that it is most likely the injectors.

And the silly woman was starting the car at first without letting the Glowplug lights go out when it is cold first thing in the morning. I have sorted this out now!

But all help much appreciated!

Cheers

it sounds like a failing camshaft position sensor, its a common problem. about £20 from ford and only one torx bolt and electrical connector for fitting.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, flashing glowplug light is a warning light just like engine management light. it needs to be diagnosed properly urgently as your mum has 3 months warranty by law and a flashing glow light on this engine is very commonly pump failiure which worst case scenario left unchecked ends up needing pump/injectors/high pressure fuel pipes/filter and low pressure fuel pipes along with tank dropping and flushing. ford charge over £2000 so get it checked NOW and if any fuel supply pressure/fuel timing faults are stored consider returning the car. the pump rollers break down and fill fuel system with metal particles....to check remove filter and empty fuel into a clear bag like goldfish...put a magnet against bag and move it about...has it shown metal???? good luck steve

• 10 months later...

I'm also experiencing the same thing. I have a 53 plate focus and purchased it a month ago. For the first few days it was brilliant then it started kicking out black smoke and cutting out as i accelerated at a junction, not good. Back it went to the garage and they cleaned the intercooler and all seemed fine for a little over a week then when in 2nd gear the glow plug light flashed and the car would glide to a holt and the engine cut out. If I pull over in time it will happily tick over with the plug light flashing but try to accelerate it will die. They have plugged it in to diagnose and the only error was the air intake sensor which was replaced. Fine for 3 or 4 days and then back we go again, plugged in and shows a list of fuel flow problems. Today they replace the fuel filter, the garage I purchased it from drive 3 miles fine, I drive round the corner and the glow plug light decides to flash again and the car cuts out. Has anyone got any idea what it can be? Unfortunately I can not get it to drive to the garage with the light flashing, I tried yesterday but it cut out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also experiencing the same thing. I have a 53 plate focus and purchased it a month ago. For the first few days it was brilliant then it started kicking out black smoke and cutting out as i accelerated at a junction, not good. Back it went to the garage and they cleaned the intercooler and all seemed fine for a little over a week then when in 2nd gear the glow plug light flashed and the car would glide to a holt and the engine cut out. If I pull over in time it will happily tick over with the plug light flashing but try to accelerate it will die. They have plugged it in to diagnose and the only error was the air intake sensor which was replaced. Fine for 3 or 4 days and then back we go again, plugged in and shows a list of fuel flow problems. Today they replace the fuel filter, the garage I purchased it from drive 3 miles fine, I drive round the corner and the glow plug light decides to flash again and the car cuts out. Has anyone got any idea what it can be? Unfortunately I can not get it to drive to the garage with the light flashing, I tried yesterday but it cut out.

I had this problem exactly the same on my 2.0 tdci 53reg mondeo ended up with a new pressure switch on fuel pump to start then pump and injectors went away to be refurbed in Leeds at feather diesels once refuted all been sweet. Everytime I spoke to a different garage I told them the fault and they told me year of engine and what type it was and cure apparently it's a prob with this year of tdci engine. This is the shocker I used Halfords for repaired which was covered by a warrenty I took out to cure this prob (bit naughty I know) they coverd all labour and any work done on mechanical failure which didnt include injectors these where down to me at £600 for refurb. Total bill was about £2200 for refurb of pump injectors filter and some pressure switch including vat.

Sorry but scary.

There is a mondeo breaker on eBay I have found who sells injectors for the tdci engine for £75 each tested and working if you wanna go down this road they will need to be programmed somthing to do wiv the ecu. Not a mechanic so I would get advice from someone you know on this one. Hope my experience of this prob.

• 1 month later...

sueb, return this car for a refund QUICK. look at sale of goods act, fit for purpose or phone trading standards for free advice. this car will cost you money (probably just after warranty runs out) if it wont start tell garage to collect it (im assuming repairing garage is the same one you bought it from?)

pappa bear, sorry to hear your another victim of Bosch pump failiure. if the tank and low pressure fuel lines were not removed and cleaned please get it done now. the problem on these is...

1, pump roller bearing break down and the metal particles travel up to injectors and down return lines back to tank, then back upto pump & injectors & back to tank.

2, injectors become damaged so garages replace pump injectors and filter

3 if garage doesn't remove tank & lines for cleaning you will end up back at square one.

don't rely on filter to protect your engine spend a little now and class it as prevention being better than cure

regards steve

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club