Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Fluid

appytizer

Hi, Iv'e just bought a 2007 1.6 tdci focus with 45k miles on the clock. It seems that the DPF fluid (eolys) was not topped-up at its 37,500mile service so I want to do it myself. I was thinking of using an after market product. Its JLM Pat fluid and it replaces eolys 176 which I think is what fords use.. Have any of you guys used this stuff and if so is it ok. :unsure:

if it was from a dealer i'm pretty sure it was their responsibility to have this done prior to selling onto you! i'm sure someone else on here will be able to clarify! think if you have any problems with the DPF aswell after purchasing any costs can be relayed back to them or they pay to fix it!

I bought it from car super market Fords of Winsford. Im not having a problem with the car, no lights on dash etc, as yet but the last service was done at kwik-fit, spoke to previous owner and he said he only had a "normal" service so can only assume dpf fluid was not topped-up. ( who in their right mind would go to kwik-fit)Previous 2 services done at ford main stealership. Im only doing the dpf top-up for peace of mind.

I bought it from car super market Fords of Winsford. Im not having a problem with the car, no lights on dash etc, as yet but the last service was done at kwik-fit, spoke to previous owner and he said he only had a "normal" service so can only assume dpf fluid was not topped-up. ( who in their right mind would go to kwik-fit)Previous 2 services done at ford main stealership. Im only doing the dpf top-up for peace of mind.

I wouldnt waste your time on it. these DPF's are bad enough as they are, and if you use a lesser fluid your more likely to cause more problems than resolve! Ford should have performed the service before handing the keys to you, and therefore, if the fluid was due topup then, they had the requirement to put it in for you. If they didnt, threaten to hand the car back... That will probably persuade them that the £45 it actually costs them to do the job, is less lost than the price of your car...

Also you need to have the cars computer reset to let it know the top up has been performed. Unfortunately looks like Ford can only do this service at moment as far as i know.

Also you need to have the cars computer reset to let it know the top up has been performed. Unfortunately looks like Ford can only do this service at moment as far as i know.

Definately, its a pain in the ace, and even then its just as cheap to have it reset and let them top it up, its either on average £60+vat to plug it in and sort it, or can be £100 to get it filled and reset... sometimes its easier to just go to Ford, to save a few pounds...

Well thanks for your input guys but yesterday I decided to order 2 lts of the jlm pat fluid. Well it arrived this morning at 7.20am, wow how fast is that. It took me about half an hour to jack-up car, put fluid in, lower car and then re-set ecu counter. Cost £64 including re-fill kit, ecu was re-set with ignition and fuel flap method. B)

Well thanks for your input guys but yesterday I decided to order 2 lts of the jlm pat fluid. Well it arrived this morning at 7.20am, wow how fast is that. It took me about half an hour to jack-up car, put fluid in, lower car and then re-set ecu counter. Cost £64 including re-fill kit, ecu was re-set with ignition and fuel flap method. B)

Ignition and Fuel Cap method? can you describe that method as I have personally never heard of it before? and are you sure you reset the ECU correctly? if you didnt then im afraid your ECU will not perform correctly and will possibly cause you problems later, when it doesnt inject the right fluid into the fuel tank, and it can cause more problems to your DPF!

It tells you how to do it in the haynes manual and there's info on FFOC site.

• 3 weeks later...

It tells you how to do it in the haynes manual and there's info on FFOC site.

I have tried following the fuel filler flap procedure outlined in the Haynes manual (Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 2005-2009, with DPF) for resetting the diesel additive counter, but the ECU comes up with "ENGINE SYSTEMS FAULT". Any idea why this happens? Also, could you provide a link to the information you mention at the FFOC site as I can't seem to find it?

Thanks

I have tried following the fuel filler flap procedure outlined in the Haynes manual (Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 2005-2009, with DPF) for resetting the diesel additive counter, but the ECU comes up with "ENGINE SYSTEMS FAULT". Any idea why this happens? Also, could you provide a link to the information you mention at the FFOC site as I can't seem to find it?

Thanks

From memory, if you read the haynes manual it states that "MIL or PCL will illuminate to indicate that resetting has been achieved, turn ignition to 0 then to position II, lights should now not illuminate."

If you do a search on FFOC for "eolys" you will see a posting "Engine Systems Fault (Update DPF)" you will find the info for resetting here.

i worked on a ford front line service desk and the car also needs a "regeneration" after the additive is put in. dont think thats is done by resetting the pcm values

i worked on a ford front line service desk and the car also needs a "regeneration" after the additive is put in. dont think thats is done by resetting the pcm values

Isnt the regen they do just a 5 minutes sit down revving at 3500 - 4000 RPM?

Isnt the regen they do just a 5 minutes sit down revving at 3500 - 4000 RPM?

similar, however the pcm needs to be set to a specific mode where it doesnt insert the fluid as the car is revved. ford ids controls the revvs/time at each rev, but the important thing is that fluid isnt inserted whilst this is done

From memory, if you read the haynes manual it states that "MIL or PCL will illuminate to indicate that resetting has been achieved, turn ignition to 0 then to position II, lights should now not illuminate."

If you do a search on FFOC for "eolys" you will see a posting "Engine Systems Fault (Update DPF)" you will find the info for resetting here.

I tried searching for "eolys" on www.ffoc, but didn't find anything. Could you send me a link?

I tried the link, but all I get is "Sorry, but only paid members of the FFOC can read topics in this forum.". Could you post the relevant information here instead?

Thanks

I tried the link, but all I get is "Sorry, but only paid members of the FFOC can read topics in this forum.". Could you post the relevant information here instead?

Thanks

here it is,

NOTE: This procedure must only be carried out if the vehicle has reached the recommended additive filling service interval, with the additive tank level being above the low or empty level with the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and powertrain control lamp (PCL) not illuminated.

NOTE: The fuel additive system service reset procedure will exit the resetting mode automatically if the following tasks are not completed within the specified time limit.

NOTE: The following procedure must be read through and completely understood before attempting the fuel additive system service reset procedure.

NOTE: Make sure the ignition switch is in position 0.

NOTE: The following sequence must be started within 60 seconds after the ignition key has been switched to position II.

NOTE: Make sure the fuel filler flap is closed.

Turn the ignition switch to position II.

Open and close the fuel filler flap.

Turn the ignition switch to position 0.

NOTE: The following sequence must be started within 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to position II.

NOTE: The following sequence must be completed within 10 seconds after the fuel filler flap has been opened.

NOTE: The following sequence must be started within 15 to 30 seconds after the fuel filler flap has been closed.

NOTE: The following sequence must be completed within 10 seconds after the fuel filler flap has been opened.

NOTE: The following sequence must be carried out within 60 seconds of the fuel filler flap being closed.

NOTE: Make sure the vehicle is in netural.

Start the engine.

NOTE: Allow the engine to idle (min 20 seconds).

NOTE: After approximately 25 seconds the PCL lamp will illuminate to indicate the resetting has been achieved.

Allow the engine to idle.

NOTE: Check the PCL lamp for illumination. If the PCL lamp is illuminated continue with the procedure. If the PCL lamp is not illuminated repeat the procedure and test the system.

NOTE: Check the PCL lamp for illumination. If the PCL lamp is not illuminated the fuel additive service reset procedure has been completed. If the PCL lamp is illuminated repeat the procedure and test the system.

©Copyright, Ford Motor Company 1994 - 2010

As always, this is usually a dealer recomended procedure.. so proceed at your own risk.

And this is what Ford charge a mint for! granted they do it through a computer, but hey you could save an arm and a leg!

A very good find Apytizer, you may have just pleased a quantity of DPF owners!

here it is,

NOTE: This procedure must only be carried out if the vehicle has reached the recommended additive filling service interval, with the additive tank level being above the low or empty level with the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and powertrain control lamp (PCL) not illuminated.

NOTE: The fuel additive system service reset procedure will exit the resetting mode automatically if the following tasks are not completed within the specified time limit.

NOTE: The following procedure must be read through and completely understood before attempting the fuel additive system service reset procedure.

NOTE: The following sequence must be started within 60 seconds after the ignition key has been switched to position II.

NOTE: The following sequence must be started within 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to position II.

NOTE: The following sequence must be started within 15 to 30 seconds after the fuel filler flap has been closed.

NOTE: The following sequence must be carried out within 60 seconds of the fuel filler flap being closed.

Start the engine.

NOTE: After approximately 25 seconds the PCL lamp will illuminate to indicate the resetting has been achieved.

NOTE: Check the PCL lamp for illumination. If the PCL lamp is illuminated continue with the procedure. If the PCL lamp is not illuminated repeat the procedure and test the system.

NOTE: Check the PCL lamp for illumination. If the PCL lamp is not illuminated the fuel additive service reset procedure has been completed. If the PCL lamp is illuminated repeat the procedure and test the system.

As always, this is usually a dealer recomended procedure.. so proceed at your own risk.

Thanks, but this is exactly the fuel filler flap procedure (outlined in the Haynes DIY book) I mentioned that I had already tried with the result being a "ENGINE SYSTEMS FAULT" message from the ECU. Why I get this error remains a mystery to me.

here it is,

Start the engine.

I just tried this procedure again and noticed that even though I get the "ENGINE SYSTEMS FAULT" message from the ECU, the red LED to the right of the text display is lit after the procedure. Since I only have a German owner's manual for the car, I'm wondering if this light is the one referred to by Ford as the "Powertrain Control Light (PCL) lamp"? If so, it might actually have worked even though it comes up with an error message...

• 3 months later...

hey, I m quite new here and indeed in the ford world... sry for reopenning this topic but how did the JLM Pat fluid work? I just bought a focus 1.6tdci with 82000miles opn the clock. Not sure if any of the dpf fluid servicing has been made since I just learnt about it :angry: :( Anyway, im thinking in buying a servicing kit of the JLM staff and diy it myself (im ok with diy stuff)... In actual fact what I would like to is to remove it all together but not sure who would be able to perform the remap down where I live... thanks a lot for now.

Mark

hey, I m quite new here and indeed in the ford world... sry for reopenning this topic but how did the JLM Pat fluid work? I just bought a focus 1.6tdci with 82000miles opn the clock. Not sure if any of the dpf fluid servicing has been made since I just learnt about it :angry: :( Anyway, im thinking in buying a servicing kit of the JLM staff and diy it myself (im ok with diy stuff)... In actual fact what I would like to is to remove it all together but not sure who would be able to perform the remap down where I live... thanks a lot for now.

Mark

I agree it would be interesting to hear the results, it has been a while now, so any problems may have shown themselves.

• Like 1