Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo St220 - Power Steering Issue

KAL_ST220

Hi Chaps,

First of all, apologies for the long post!

I'm a new member of this site and need some advice on an issue I'm experiencing with my Mondeo ST220 (54 Plate, 58k miles).

I've had the car for just over three years now and it's always been a pleasure to drive. However, over the past month or so, l've noticed that the steering feels slightly stiffer, which I thought was due to a flat tyre at first. Tyre pressures were checked and ok, PAS fluid level fine.

In summary:

1. When started from cold the steering is fine but once the car is warmed up (after 10 mins or so of driving) the steering becomes slightly stiffer and doesn't feel as smooth or responsive. I'm not sure that the PAS system is to blame though because the car steers ok when parking.

2. There are no unusual sounds or knocks from the suspension / engine bay, or when steering.

3. PAS fluid level and tyre pressures are fine.

4. Car is not pulling to one side when braking (I had suspected a sticking caliper at one point).

5. Car has been checked by the garage who found nothing wrong. Also, 4-wheel alignment check carried out and the car was (more or less) spot on. Suspension parts (inc wheel bearings) examined and are fine.

After the garage check etc, I thought I must have been imagining things. However, after many subsequent drives, there is no doubt in my mind that the car is perfectly fine when you start it from cold but the steering definitely stiffens up and becomes noticably more awkward when the engine warms up.

Any ideas what could be happening here?

Thanks for your help.

i do not know if your car is one of them but some st220 had variable ratio power-assisted steering,if your car has this system it could be whats playing up.

i do not know if your car is one of them but some st220 had variable ratio power-assisted steering,if your car has this system it could be whats playing up.

I'm not sure that my car has got that system but I'll look into it. Thanks for the info.

Update:

Car has been driving fine for the past couple of days. Steering is smooth and responsive again. Nothing's been touched or fixed.

What's that all about then?! Can cars get sick and heal themselves?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club