Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta mk5 timing chain noise.

silver_shadow

i just uploaded a vid of startup and idling of my 2001 mk5 1.6.

i've been told that the timing chain tensioner needs to be replaced. can anyone make out what's up with the car by listening to the vid?

PS: it's not a cold start up. on some days the sound of the clatter of what seems to be the timing chain is even more pronounced. i also need to change the head gasket and perhaps the piston rings (maybe a hone job) but i don't know if it's evident from the vid.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=be5sWpjY2Io

• 1 month later...

i just uploaded a vid of startup and idling of my 2001 mk5 1.6.

i've been told that the timing chain tensioner needs to be replaced. can anyone make out what's up with the car by listening to the vid?

PS: it's not a cold start up. on some days the sound of the clatter of what seems to be the timing chain is even more pronounced. i also need to change the head gasket and perhaps the piston rings (maybe a hone job) but i don't know if it's evident from the vid.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=be5sWpjY2Io

any luck with this one?

I know it was over a month ago you posted but it sounds to me like theres a shot bearing somewhere. Is it worse on startup? could be lack of oil pressure. Is it serviced regularly with correct grade of oil? Could also be big end bearings failing.

What makes you say you need to change the head gasket and possibly the piston rings? Have you considered swapping the engine with another one? may be better on your pocket.

any luck with this one?

I know it was over a month ago you posted but it sounds to me like theres a shot bearing somewhere. Is it worse on startup? could be lack of oil pressure. Is it serviced regularly with correct grade of oil? Could also be big end bearings failing.

What makes you say you need to change the head gasket and possibly the piston rings? Have you considered swapping the engine with another one? may be better on your pocket.

Sounds more like tappets if you ask me! If they're hydraulic get them checked as they should be checked after a certain mileage. ( not having my service manual at hand i couldn't say just yet )

Sounds more like tappets if you ask me! If they're hydraulic get them checked as they should be checked after a certain mileage. ( not having my service manual at hand i couldn't say just yet )

100k miles i think for adjustment mate.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club